Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy rack differences
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Any more info on pre 59 racks?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

like what?
sundialer66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Correct finish of bows? Reply with quote

Struggling with the correct finish for the bows. I know they all look galvanized, but how do you explain this ad? They look cad plated. Is it weathering?

AlteWagen wrote:
JOGR wrote:
campingbox wrote:
JOGR wrote:
What material are the uprights, corners, and tubes/rails made of on original racks? galvanized steel? aluminum?

Thanks!

Aluminum.

Do you know if when new they were polished aluminum or a mill type finish? everything you see now is kinda dull from age.

They look semi polished in this ad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

I have two Westy racks & they both have “spangle,” a crystalline structure formed in hot-dip galvanizing. I haven’t ever seen that with electroplating.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-dip_galvanization
sundialer66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Oh I agree 100%. On mine, it’s hard to tell if it’s weathered or what. But I have seen most with galvanizing. That photo really threw me off. That thing is brand new!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

sundialer66 wrote:
Oh I agree 100%. On mine, it’s hard to tell if it’s weathered or what. But I have seen most with galvanizing. That photo really threw me off. That thing is brand new!

The photo could be heavily retouched. This is not uncommon with brochure photos.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
sundialer66 wrote:

The photo could be heavily retouched. This is not uncommon with brochure photos.

Yep.

Note Gold trim on cabinets, no middle tent mounts and that rack doesn't even look like the clamps go over the drip rail.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
campingbox wrote:
sundialer66 wrote:
Yep.

Note Gold trim on cabinets, no middle tent mounts and that rack doesn't even look like the clamps go over the drip rail.
Different small tent mounts. They are there, just different mounts in a different spot. Easier to see in the "safety meeting" shot:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

I think the gold cabinet trim probably did exist for So-34s in the beginning. I have a flipseat table with gold trim.
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I think the gold cabinet trim probably did exist for So-34s in the beginning. I have a flipseat table with gold trim.

HI Greg... I saved these pics a while ago they were from a non high hinged but black steering wheel very early flipseat, this interior was removed from the bus prior to it being shipped to the uk because the new owners didn't want it:? It had the gold flipseat arms as well.

I just noticed that the lady in the col pic above is sitting one of the proto type chairs that never made it into production. Pretty sure most of the "SHINE" in the col photo above is from the studio lighting not an artist, I had a westy rack re-galved and it was pretty shiny to begin with. If you look carefully at the pic you can see that the door is covering the clamp on that bus but the rack is definitely on there. Lets not forget its a high hinge so34 prototype bus in that pic.

Anyway back to the gold trim...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Wow, just like the flipseat in the brochure. Pretty cool. These pics need to be saved on the samba and then go in the official flipseat thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276647&highlight=so34
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Is the correct orientation of the badge(s) on a Westy rack when mounted the front passenger side?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

squareweave wrote:
Is the correct orientation of the badge(s) on a Westy rack when mounted the front passenger side?

Yes.
squareweave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
squareweave wrote:

Yes.

Thanks
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

I posted this in my flipseat thread a few years back. There is one roof rack clamp out of the six that is different..it is flat along the bottom (the part that sits under the drip rail when mounted). The other five all have a strength pressing in that same spot. This clamp was meant to be the one over the rear cargo door, the clamps with the pressings rub the top of the door when it opens.

Fast forward to yesterday, I had a chance to check out a 1964 so-34 from Italy originally. Inside the door cabinet were the original roof rack clamps..and what do you know, one of them was flat on the bottom, just like the one on my rack!!

Coincidence? Hardly. Maybe this is only a flipseat thing? Not sure, but the subhatch racks are longer so maybe the shorter racks don't clamp above the door? I will get some pics with my clamp so we can all see that there are at least two of these flat clamps in existence.

From my flipseat thread:

oakman wrote:
Here they are side by side:

Flat bottom:

Regular clamp, all five others are exactly the same:

On the back side you can see the difference in the stamping as well:

No sign of being customized by someone, the galvanizing is still intact on the 'flat bottom' clamp.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Good intel.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

the flat one has definitely been hammered or pressed flat after it was originally pressed like all the others

very cool!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

I just heard from a buddy that he sold his pristine, almost NOS Westy roof rack (I think '64-'67 version) for $2,500.00 this week. Are nice original racks getting this much nowadays? Damn I'm rich! I've got two pretty nice ones!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I just heard from a buddy that he sold his pristine, almost NOS Westy roof rack (I think '64-'67 version) for $2,500.00 this week. Are nice original racks getting this much nowadays? Damn I'm rich! I've got two pretty nice ones!

Bill

Hey Bill, are either of your racks the longer subhatch version? If so, can you check your clamps to see if any are flat along the bottom?

Last edited by oakman on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

sled wrote:
the flat one has definitely been hammered or pressed flat after it was originally pressed like all the others

very cool!

I'll try to get pics soon of the other "flat clamp" that was with the 64' so-34 I saw last week, it's exactly the same.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: