Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Injector Hoses
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ijust Reply with quote

sgtpepper wrote:
but used 5/16 inch line, clamped down tight. that should be fine, right?

You bet.

When I lived in Houston, I couldn't find 7mm line anywhere except for cloth-covered low-pressure line. As a side note, the dude at the VW parts place in Houston insisted that the cloth line is rated at 145 lbs. It is absolutely not rated for injection and I'm really glad I mistrusted his advice.

Several parts stores tried to sell me coolant hoses, transmission cooler hoses, washer hoses, low-press fuel line - you name it. Like the so-called "expert" at KAR Parts in Houston, advice should be viewed with some skepticism or, in some cases, contempt.

I ended up at an Advanced Auto Parts in the Barrio where a disgruntled employee sold me 10 feet of Goodyear 5/16 high-pressure fuel line for 10 bucks.

Take that, Karma!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ijust Reply with quote

deprivation wrote:
sgtpepper wrote:
but used 5/16 inch line, clamped down tight. that should be fine, right?

You bet.

When I lived in Houston, I couldn't find 7mm line anywhere except for cloth-covered low-pressure line. As a side note, the dude at the VW parts place in Houston insisted that the cloth line is rated at 145 lbs. It is absolutely not rated for injection and I'm really glad I mistrusted his advice.

Several parts stores tried to sell me coolant hoses, transmission cooler hoses, washer hoses, low-press fuel line - you name it. Like the so-called "expert" at KAR Parts in Houston, advice should be viewed with some skepticism or, in some cases, contempt.

I ended up at an Advanced Auto Parts in the Barrio where a disgruntled employee sold me 10 feet of Goodyear 5/16 high-pressure fuel line for 10 bucks.

Take that, Karma!

Scary story!

5/16 is fine, the only thing is that they don't all (5/16) have the same ID and thickness. The one I use fit real tight. So if you are using 5/16 just make sure it fit thighly. If you can remove the hose easily out of an injector it's to loose (ID).

And pay attention to price, they is some junk out there.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of regular fuel line says it is rated in the 150-200 psi range. This must be its ultimate burst pressure or something, I can't believe it could actually hold that kind of pressure for long. When I bought my 83 1/2 it had a piece of regular fuel line installed right after the pump. It was all cracked and leaking fuel badly.

I have had good luck running 5/16 FI line. I personally like the kind with a separate liner, it should prove to be more chemical resistant. It is harder to use though as the liner is stiff and hard to get started over fittings.

You can buy very good quality FI line from car dealers. The Subaru stuff seems excellent.
randiego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
Does anyone know offhand what the length of the injector hose segment is?
I was looking for the answer to "what is the length of the injector to fuel rail hose segment" myself today... so for all you guys (like me) that didn't "save an old one to measure the new ones" (I cut mine and tossed 'em)
I eyeballed it to be double the length of the fuel rail nipple or 1.75" (45mm).
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Injector Hoses Reply with quote

I am replacing the fuel lines on a Syncro. I've read a few threads and every time some one logs in as a new vanagon owner within 3 posts someone always says "replace your fuel lines".

I'm trying to decide how much fuel line I will need to reseal a syncro wbx fuel system from the pump to the injectors and back to the sender. I can guestimate, but was wondering if someone documented how much fuel line is actually required to reline a 2wd and a syncro. Thank you.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Injector Hoses Reply with quote

If you go to this site, by clicking on your year and engine you will not only get VW part numbers for fuel line but also the metric length of every piece.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/ma...g/e#sec_19

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Injector Hoses Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, no total? Figured as often as it comes someone might have totaled it out. For the syncro, I measured roughly 13 feet. I just held a tape measure along the existing hoses. Thanks again.

Edit, my Malware bytes blocks the link you provided. Something about a Trojan detected.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector Hoses Reply with quote

from bensplace.com

You will need about 10 to 12 feet of 5/16 FI hoses to cover the engine bay area, if you decide to do the fuel pump to firewall plastic junction line, you will need an extra 6 feet. About 20 x 5/16 FI clamps are also needed.

http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector Hoses Reply with quote

^^^ Syncro...???

Not the same...just sayin.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector Hoses Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I am replacing the fuel lines on a Syncro. I've read a few threads and every time some one logs in as a new vanagon owner within 3 posts someone always says "replace your fuel lines".

I'm trying to decide how much fuel line I will need to reseal a syncro wbx fuel system from the pump to the injectors and back to the sender. I can guestimate, but was wondering if someone documented how much fuel line is actually required to reline a 2wd and a syncro. Thank you.

Hi Mark:

At the risk of setting off a samba nuclear explosion, there are some people here who have documented the original syncro fuel lines to be extremely durable...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector Hoses Reply with quote

I'm converting a 2wd to syncro. So now is the time to replace the hoses. I was just surprised as often that it comes up, I couldn't find a total in the essentials list. Of course I waited to the last minute to check. Thanks
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector Hoses Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

As per GoWesty's kit, 15 feet. https://www.gowesty.com/product/fuel-delivery/4393/engine-fuel-line-replacement-kit?v=
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector Hoses Reply with quote

Have a 15 foot section on the way. Thank you
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector Hoses Reply with quote

i like to route the new fuel line OVER the intake runners...

- it is substantially cooler, the hose doesn't bake as much
- easier to keep an eye on the condition, leaks, chaffing
- easier to reach the T port for measurements

the lines i removed on my 87 snapped in two when i held each end of the old removed hose and brought the ends together. not formed a crack but snapped clean like spaghetti.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: