Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding door takes a very gentle touch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

So, I'm not complaining, more just asking:

Flossies' slider has always been quite sensitive. A gentle slide is all it takes. MANY of the other people who work the door seem to want to give it a firm slide to close, but that just results in a rebound that does not catch, but rather opens again. Also, if the closer uses too light a force, it will only half-catch. [I liked the Bay door that you could use the inner handle to do the rear closure pull-in-catch action the opposite of open, but that disappeared on the Vanagon]

So, is this common? I have seen a thread dealing with a small rubber bit at the back of the door opening, and investigated mine to find it is properly in place. I did receive on order what appears to be a 3D printed version for replacement, but since mine was still intact, have not yet done the replacement.

The best closure works with two hands, one on the handle and one on the rear outer face of the door. Very light touch, and its good. From inside, its a light slide, and a firm hold on the inside handle pushing forward, light force touch and its good to go.

Should I do something to increase the range of force for all those that keep trying to give it a harder close? I find myself cringing and then offering to get back there and close it myself, even with the same people as they forget.

I should mention that the body to door seals are probably the originals, and don't offer a true seal. Perhaps that is one reason it is so finicky, as they offer no amount of resistance in the closure process as I expect less aged ones would.

Thanks,

-bobby
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

My 83.5 takes a load of force to close. Not enough and it will rebound and you have to try again. I haven't serviced it at all. It's on my to do list.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

Brandon,

Same with my 83.5, go figure.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

Van 1 door took a yank but was solidly closed, Van 2 won't lock if using even the slightest bit less than full yank action.

Passenger door on both wants more slammage than I like. That installer had Bock with his Schnitzel.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
So, I'm not complaining, more just asking:

Flossies' slider has always been quite sensitive. A gentle slide is all it takes. MANY of the other people who work the door seem to want to give it a firm slide to close, but that just results in a rebound that does not catch, but rather opens again. Also, if the closer uses too light a force, it will only half-catch. [I liked the Bay door that you could use the inner handle to do the rear closure pull-in-catch action the opposite of open, but that disappeared on the Vanagon]

So, is this common? I have seen a thread dealing with a small rubber bit at the back of the door opening, and investigated mine to find it is properly in place. I did receive on order what appears to be a 3D printed version for replacement, but since mine was still intact, have not yet done the replacement.

The best closure works with two hands, one on the handle and one on the rear outer face of the door. Very light touch, and its good. From inside, its a light slide, and a firm hold on the inside handle pushing forward, light force touch and its good to go.

Should I do something to increase the range of force for all those that keep trying to give it a harder close? I find myself cringing and then offering to get back there and close it myself, even with the same people as they forget.

I should mention that the body to door seals are probably the originals, and don't offer a true seal. Perhaps that is one reason it is so finicky, as they offer no amount of resistance in the closure process as I expect less aged ones would.

Thanks,

-bobby

The rebound of the later sliding door when someone shuts it harder than necessary is because of a weak spring in the rear latch mechanism. In the past I've outlined the steps necessary to fix it. I've fixed several of them but it has been a few years since the last one and I don't keep those types of details in RAM long-term.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

From the archives:

?Waldo? wrote:
The usual fault is a fairly common problem with the later door design and both a PITA and fairly easily fixed. It starts to show up when the door will bounce back if you shut it too hard. Eventually it gets to the point where the door won't latch at all. The problem is caused by a very small spring in the rear latch mechanism that gradually loses its tension. When working properly, that spring causes the rear latch to "catch". Without it being strong enough, the door just bounces back off the pin without catching (even tho it seems to work manually when you push the latch like you did). Pull the interior handle and door panel off being careful to pull from the plastic tabs with a putty knife or better yet a door panel removal tool. Once the panel is removed, remove the little circlip from the cable that runs from the front mechanism to the rear mechanism and pull the cable off the front mechanism. Then go to the back and use a 90° screwdriver (or a bit in a 1/4" wrench) to remove the two screws holding on the rear mechanism. Pull it out far enough to undo the circlip that holds the other end of the cable in place. You can then see the little spring that I'm talking about that pushes against the lever part that holds the latch in place. Remove it and use two pairs of pliers to really bend it out so that it is exerting a whole lot more force. Reassemble everything and give it a go.

I have also needed to reshape the 'teeth' of the rear latch assembly so they grab better. All of that should be clear with the latch mechanism apart in your hands.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew, I will take a closer look at the rear.

-bobby
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

If you have both hands free (and are closing it from the outside), use your right hand on the handle and keep the left near the back edge. Don't roll it rapidly forward, but at a moderate rate, and push inward on the back/left hand to facilitate thee latching. From the inside, no similar 'trick'. BIT clean every portion of the door, the tracks at the bottom and the middle, and lube the rubber weather seals with silicone,
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

My 87 is the same, with the latch only on the back I just close it by getting it rolling and then push in where the rear latch is. Trying to close it with the handle only works about half of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

Whilst it very well maybe the latch spring being weak, I've had both situations with my current door. It used to take a lot more oomph to close it so I adjusted the post on the body that the rear latch catches on. Cracked it loose and moved it out and re tightened. I went a little too far and now it closes so easily if closed too hard it bounces back. So I just need to move the post back in a little. Its easy and worth a try.
DirtyBlueVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

Same Issue, learned about it from the door opening on the freeway Shocked It can be gently shut by just using the left hand to put pressure on the rear when you shut it, as others have mentioned. Fixing it is on my to do list, so thanks for the suggestions above!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

I bet its most often a matter of lubrication in the latch assembly. Theres too much friction (or gummed up). The door is bouncing off the stops faster than the mechanism can “catch it”. Squirt oil into the latch assembly so that parts can “move faster” thus catch and lock before the door bounces past. You may have to remove some mounting screws just to get a squirt hole.

Sorry Im 100miles away from my van or I’d tell more how to lube it. Plus I’ve already typed a book on TheSamba this AM and gotta get outta the house! There must be a thread on this (but Im remote, typing on a phone). Maybe theres a crucial lube location that simply needs a tiny “mullendore port” drilled.

You don’t want to slam your door for years and years, you will surely age your van prematurely. Your handle pivot will wear out sloppy in its hole due to much rougher handling than its designed for. Lube that latch mechanism at the rear center of the slider and you will be much happier (and quieter too).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
The door is bouncing off the stops faster than the mechanism can “catch it”.

That is exactly what happens when the rear latch spring is too weak. If that is the cause of the issue (which is quite common) then no amount of cleaning or lubrication will fix it. I'm not attempting to discourage cleaning, lubrication, adjusting the back post, etc... which are all good things to do and might fix other issues that cause similar behavior but they will not fix the issue if the rear spring is too weak. I agree that slamming the door excessively hard could cause premature wear. Similarly, often needing to repeat the closing procedure could also cause premature wear. Needing to always use the 'Goldilocks' amount of force can be really irritating/frustrating and it is also clearly a problem with the door/latch and not the way it should behave. Both my '85 and '91 (which use the same slider and rear latch mechanism) can be closed by a wide range of force and not bounce back. You'd have to get unreasonable with either way too much or way to little force for either of them to fail to latch properly.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

Andrew, sodo,

this isn't a "take to door off" thing, is it?

I'd gladly buy a new spring, if I knew what to tell my favorite vendors.

I'll gladly clean and inspect, too. Lube? Sure thing!

The advice to reshape the clasping bit might scare me, I would have to see and think it through a bit.

Thanks all!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door takes a very gentle touch Reply with quote

No door removal necessary. The inner door card needs to be removed and the rear latch assembly can then be removed using an 90° screwdriver or a bit in a 1/4" wrench. I have a couple little ratcheting wrenches that will accept normal bits and those work really well for jobs like this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No need to purchase any replacement spring. I've always just stretched the existing spring so it applies more pressure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: