Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle Position Switch
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW- The bus depot website is a good resource to enter part numbers and find their applications.
drivenachodrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I went and didn't listen to the Bentley manual and I tampered with the setting of the idle stop screw. Is there some way to get it back to factory settings? How many turns out was it? Dah! Now everything's screwed up. I'd like to know how to get it back to factory settings so I can adjust the TPS the correct way. Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwv2, if you are using a throttle body with lots of miles on it then turn the throttle stop screw out until there is a small gap say .010, the turn the stop screw in until it just touches the ear on the throttle body that it rests aginst then turn the stop screw in another half turn. If you have a rebuilt throttle body like van -cafe sells than you can set the stop screw to a quarter turn.

Do not use a feeler gage because there is usually a dimple worn into the stop ear and a feeler gage will give you a false reading.

The half turn adjustment is mainly to give the throttle plate a little free play and to keep the throttle plate from binding in the bore of the throttle body when the the two mounting screws are cranked down. the body will actually distort from the torque on the screws.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikls63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I replaced the temp 2 sensor. Today I adjusted the Throttle Valve switch and replaced the 02 sensor. Gona fire it up, let it warm up and see what happens next.

UPDATE:

Started right up like always, took it around the block a couple of times let it sit and idle up to 15 min and was gona leave the drive way...bucked and died. Started right up 2 more times because it kept dieing. Didn't even bother trying to start it back up the last time...it didn't want to start so I just came in side very frustrated!

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m144/Mikls63rag...-36-04.mp4
13' Passat S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kjono09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Position Switch Reply with quote

What happened, I have a 1.9L 84 with the a high idle condition.

Submariner
mikls63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Position Switch Reply with quote

kjono09 wrote:
What happened, I have a 1.9L 84 with the a high idle condition.

Ok, this was several yrs ago. I turned out to be the distributor. I ordered a fresh one, pu ti tin and never had another problem like that again.

Check the grounds are making a good connection.
13' Passat S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle Position Switch Reply with quote

I wonder if this applies to 83.5-85 model

Link

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Position Switch Reply with quote

Since these are old and corroded/rusted Allen head screws on the Throttle Position Screws the Allen keys with the rounded ends on them most likely will act like they are stripped.
You want to use Allen keys without the rounded ends so that it seats fully down into the head.

Also, Van-Cafe has new Adjustment Screws to replace old worn out ones.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle Position Switch Reply with quote

I recommend you take off the whole throttle body and switch, then look at what is happening when you turn the screws. I thought mine was stripped too- until I understood that one of them is to change the position of the switch, and it was moved as much as it could go- hence the Allen screw not wanting to move anymore when I turned it. Clean it up, might save you some change and headache Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: