Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering the Rear soon
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Lowering the Rear soon Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm looking to lower the back of my 65 type 1 this December sometime as I will be home from college on break. I know this is a decently easy task, but from what I have read and researched, it can be quite dangerous and easily messed up if not left up to the right people. I would rather have a shop do it for me and be done with it. My question is, which shops in the L.A. area would be good for this work. I know there are tons and I have gone through the business listings, but i was wondering if anyone has had a personal experience with any of them and they would like to recommend me. Obviously I would like to spend the least money so taking it to a really high end shop isn't needed I feel. I have been to old speed and other multiple shops in the area, but new information is always good to come by. Anything will help here guys, thanks for your time.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdgeKid3, you may want to consider doing this yourself.

It is a relatively easy task if you have a little understanding of how it works, a few basic tools, time and a level work surface to do it.

The reason I say do it your self is because this is not something that you may be happy with after paying someone else to do it for you.

If you decide to be cautious with how low you go, you may feel the car is still too high when you write them the check to pay for it.

If you decide to throw caution to the wind and slam it, you may decide it’s way too low when it’s done and you don’t want to go through the time, expense and trouble of doing the other things that need to be done to keep it that low.

Point is, this is something that after a short period of time, you may want to change again. If you do it your self, you won’t have to pay someone a second time if you are not happy with the results. You will know what to do and how far you want to go.

It’s your car, get in touch with it and turn your own wrenches. Learn how it works and keep your money in your pocket.
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks for the input. I totally agree and having it be either too low or too high after the shop is done is definitely a concern of mine, but at the same time I feel I know I want it one outer spline down and that's kind of the end of it. I have built my entire car up from the pan, so turning my own wrenches and getting in touch with my car is definitely not an issue. I have read numerous articles on doing this procedure and I know i could do it in a few hours, but I figured a decent shop could take care of it for fairly cheap and do it right the first time. I appreciate your opinion though, and I agree for the most part. Anyone else?
pacificbikerguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently did this myself with a LARGE floor jack (3 ton floor?) and it was very easy.

I put the rear torsion tube on BIG jackstands (i am not talking the 29.99 stands and jack combo, the saddles are way to small on the stands and the jack)

After getting all the bolts removed, the shock off, and the torsion housing cover off, I took a chisel and marked a line in the end of the torsion bar and the spring plate. I chose to go the easy route and lowe 1 outer spline so I didn't have to mess with measuring the angle.

I then put the large jack under the end of the spring plate and lifted it up so it JUST released the plate and gently pried out alternating top to bottom making sure my legs were NOT under the car. After I got it far enough out to clear the perch, I lower the jack. When there is no tension on the plate it should slide off fairly easily. I also tapped the end of the torsion bar to make sure it remained in the torsion tube. I then slid it back on down one spline, pushed it on the rest of the way and it clears the perch.

While putting it all back together, I did not re-install the bump stops as the car almost sat on them.

It is fairly simple and it should take you less than 4 hours. My first time and I was done in about 1 hour with air tools.

Good Luck!

-Barry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it a more dangerous than that? Isn't there a special tool for it?
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pretty much the consensus is if I don't do it myself, don't do it at all? Anyone please have any shop recommendations.
Machinegunnjo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly all you need is one tool that u can pick up from any local vw store or online. With this tool you can do it very safely, i did it for the first time by myself. It is not really that big of a deal you could knock it out. I learned that with vw's you should not pay n e body to work on your car. It was designed so the average person could work on it with out having to go to a mechanic. The first time you attempt it i might take u the whole day, second or third time around you could finish each side in 10-15 mins.
Machinegunnjo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mooreparts.com/AC000116.html , thats the only special tool you will need.
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man I appreciate it. See I am leaning towards doing it myself, and have been for a long time, but my dad is so against it I felt like I should just look elsewhere for an easy job. We'll see what I can talk him into.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xsocalpbx wrote:
http://www.mooreparts.com/AC000116.html , thats the only special tool you will need.

You don't need the tool, just do as pacificbikerguy did. I've done it three times that way.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: