Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater... unconventional.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: heater... unconventional. Reply with quote

so my motor has jtubes, i cant afford a good working gas heater.

but i have a good dc to AC power inverter.
anyone mounted a small heater in their car. im not looking to sweat just something to keep it a little warmer than 35 degrees in my cockpit for the morning/nightly commutes.

i remember reading of someone using one but i cant find that thread anymore.
how many BTU should i be looking for?

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC heaters are power hogs - BTUs from electricity can cost a lot of amps. So the first question is - what capacity does your DC/AC inverter have?
-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

750watt nothing big but hopefully enough to get me down the road.

unless there is a good DC heater i can use.

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget electric heat. The numbers are against you, no matter whether you go AC or DC.

Let's say that you are using a 58A alternator. Multiply by 13V and you get 754W. That's the maximum heat output you can get from a heater assuming your alternator has nothing else to do (it does) and you get perfect conversion to heat (you won't). In the real world you would be lucky to get half that output continuously, or 375W.

How much is 375W? About the output of four light bulbs or 1/3 the output of a typical hair dryer. It won't make you toasty warm unless you run it directly into your jacket!
Eurobug
Sofa King

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it easy on yourself, lose the j pipes and get some high flow heat exchangers if you are worried about exhaust restriction.
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats nice and lovely. but. i cant afford a gas heater $500+
and stock heater boxes arent an option at this point.
as i said im not looking for something to bring it up to 70 degrees in the cabin just enough so my hands arent going numb from the cold. Embarassed

i understand the #s arent in my favor but there has to be something i can do. besides 3 pairs of long underwear Laughing

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurobug wrote:
Make it easy on yourself, lose the j pipes and get some high flow heat exchangers if you are worried about exhaust restriction.

i am broke. broke broke. anything over $100 is out of my budget till summer time.

by next winter i hope to have a backup 1600stock motor with heaterboxes and a fully functioning stock heater for the winter but for now i have to make the best with what i have.

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimace007 wrote:
thats nice and lovely. but. i cant afford a gas heater $500+
and stock heater boxes arent an option at this point.
as i said im not looking for something to bring it up to 70 degrees in the cabin just enough so my hands arent going numb from the cold. Embarassed

i understand the #s arent in my favor but there has to be something i can do. besides 3 pairs of long underwear Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have your solution, but take care with Carbon Monoxide and make a sturdy mounting bracket.

We lived in the Northeast back in the late 60's, my Dad had a Camper Van and a short commute to work.

He purchased a Coleman propane heater that operated on disposable propane cylinders. (they were an exciting new item back then!)
He hung a curtain behind the front seats, he then made a bracket to set the heater on securely between the seats.
He would light it a little before leaving for work and drove to work everyday warm and comfy.
He did this for about two years. It was surprising how long a bottle of gas lasted.

It was cheap and it worked really well.

At the end of the season he removed the heater and the bracket and you were ready for summer camping. As an added bonus we had heat in the camper to take the chill off of those cold summer evenings!

Good Luck

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, propane is a better way to making BTUs than 12VDC electricity! But as mentioned, you have to make sure it doesn't convert all your oxygen into CO and kill your ass!!
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking about one of the propane heaters too. and since i dont have a backseat i could mount it on the parcel shelf

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:

cr@M wrote:

GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, You could put a couple of 100 watt bulbs from an extension cord to pre-heat your bug overnight. Just make sure they won't melt or burn anything. You can also use a 12 volt hair dryer (alvailable at camper supply or on line for about $15.00) intermittently. Also good for defroster. Three minutes on and five minutes off should be OK on battery drain. You could also get 3 or 4 12V 50-60 watt (Home Depot has them) and rig them to your Cig lighter and place on the floor beneath your lege and that may help some. Make sure cig lighter socket is fed direct from battery with large wire (10GA) with a 30amp fuse at the battery. You can get a 3-6-9-12 volt solar panel at Harbor Freight for 15 to 20 bucks to plug into your lighter to replenish your battery while you slave away at work.
When money is tight we all have to improvise sometimes.
My reccomendation is that you stay away from a propane heater inside and unvented. I don't want to read about you as a statistic. Wink
None of these ideas are to be considered a final solution-----just a stop gap until the BREAD is flowing again. Smile

Good luck, Marvin
PS Another thought is that you can purchase from Home Depot and Lowe's some chemical hand warmenrs. Not very cost effective though. I think deer hunters use them a lot.
mailman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the "Jeggs" website. They sell mostly hot rod and racing stuff.

They sell electric heated seat conversions....on sale last week at $89 each. Comes complete with a lighted, two position switch, relay, the works. Install under your seat covers, hook up two wires. When the fingers get cold, tuck 'em under your thighs for a couple of minutes. If you're broke, just get one for now.

Sure makes more sense than propane heat inside the cabin....would you rather be cold for a little while, or FOREVER? Rolling Eyes
Eurobug
Sofa King

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grimace007 wrote:
Eurobug wrote:

i am broke. broke broke. anything over $100 is out of my budget till summer time.

by next winter i hope to have a backup 1600stock motor with heaterboxes and a fully functioning stock heater for the winter but for now i have to make the best with what i have.

$38.00 a pair

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=153499
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go out and find at least the left heater box good lord they are not that expensive and you are in Texas.

Heat Exchangers Bug Ghia Bus Heater Price: 38.00 a Pair

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Rowroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurobug wrote:

$38.00 a pair

There ya go. Just replace the J-tubes with these and wire the bitches open . . . . and you'll still have enough money left over for a case of beer.
outruncat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your local junk yard out. I got a great set off a wrecked dune buggy for $10. Be patient and you can find a good deal.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times can you ride the bus for $100? They have heat!
sano66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 2 heater boxes chillin in my garage off a 66 bus, i heard they work on bugs too? if you want em theyre yours.
tacky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get a battery powered heated jacket at brookstone.
i got one it works great. 5 hours of heat on the rechargeable battery.

http://southcenter.nearbynow.com/store/brookstone/product-3081202.html

wear gloves and a hat and you are good to go.
that heated seat idea sound pretty good also.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: