Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

YOM / Antique License Plates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

After switching to a YOM plate the cops no longer get along side me then fall back to run the plate. Tabs are not required on YOM plates in Washington.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

I guess I'll add mine to the mix.
This is how it came. Got it for $20.00 at an antique store.

Then I painted it to match the car.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

VERY cool!!! Is repainting O.K. in Georgia or are you betting on lax law enforcement ignoring you?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

I'm thinking all the rookies around here will have no idea what color it was.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

VERY cool!!! Is repainting O.K. in Georgia or are you betting on lax law enforcement ignoring you?

Very Cool!!
I'd buy the 1st law enforcement official who notices a bottle of their favorite!
An Ohio 1967 plate is Blue/White straight from the prison workshop!
Although it was unplanned, I think it matches well Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

From what I understand having read other YOM tag posts elsewhere, some states allow tags to be "restored" but they must be the original color combination. Also, the characters must be reflective, as original. Florida doesn't allow retouching or restoring. The tag can be in somewhat rough shape, as long as the characters are still reflective. The hard part is finding a YOM tag that's in really nice shape that has the proper weight and county code. Not that Florida requires that now, many folks enjoy busting your hump if the weight code doesn't match the car Rolling Eyes

As I understand it, too, some states that permit YOM tags will restrict the car's use to weekends only. I've heard that J.F.Law will ticket you if you're driving your car on other days. Not so in FL, as you can drive just like a regular tag. Of course, you have to pay full registration fees, whereas states that restrict use charge very low tag registration fees. Lots of different rules out there.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

I average over 20,000 miles a year on a YOM tag that’s not registered to the car & have been in several surrounding states that have never looked twice at it. It’s great for toll plazas, speed & red light cameras. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
It’s great for toll plazas, speed & red light cameras. Twisted Evil

Laughing Cool

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

In Kansas, you aren't supposed to restore the plate and it just has to be in usable condition. They handle it like registering any personalized antique tag (so $40 extra bucks the first year). Just run the numbers to make sure that combo isn't currently in use.

Back in the day, the letters of the tag were the county code, and then first letter of owner's last name. When I went to tag my '78, I really was hoping to find one that started RLC, to match the convention.

I knew of an old-timer who lived about 45 mintues away who had an extensive plate collection. I mean thousands upon thousands of them. I had purchased one from him a few years prior for a friend's Ghia.

So one time I was in the area and stopped by the old shop. Unfortunately, he had passed away and the building was being used to make cabnets by a small company. They still had many dozens of boxes full of plates in a forgotten back room. The guy I talked to took be back there and told me I could look to see if anything would work and if so I could have it. Then just went back to work.

The plates were boxed in no particular order and it took a couple hours to find a couple candidates. By that time, though, they had forgotten I was there and all gone home for the day!

So I used the bathroom, let myself out, and locked the door behind me.

Ended up with an RLB plate. I decided the B could stand for Bus.

'76 was the last year Kansas stamped a yearly plate. For '77 they started adding year stickers, so now for YOM plates between '77 and '79 (new design altogether in '80) you get a '76 plate and the DMV prints off a sticker stating the correct year.

Pics from the gallery showing my plates:

Did find an RLC for the '73.

Wrong county code, but the 181 number trumps that!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
EVfun wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

Very Cool!!
I'd buy the 1st law enforcement official who notices a bottle of their favorite!
An Ohio 1967 plate is Blue/White straight from the prison workshop!
Although it was unplanned, I think it matches well Cool

I like the idea. Maybe it’ll be a way out.
Your tag is perfect.

For everyone else, I carefully masked the lettering so it’s still reflective.
The woman at the DMV told me I couldn’t paint it but the slight pause and the look on her face told me that she had no idea.

Twin Peaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Picked up my Plate at a local Antique Mall for around 20 for a set. 1974 Ohio Plate. What are the odds that it matches the color!

also, if anyone has some Old Ohio Dealer Frames please let me know!

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

"Seat belts fastened?" I love it! Never seen another plate with that in the design.

That's why I have the WA '63 plate on my buggy -- so the cops quit hanging out to run it after noticing I don't have seat belts. Now they can see right away it's to old to require them. Oh, and permanent registration too!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Twin Peaks wrote:
Picked up my Plate at a local Antique Mall for around 20 for a set. 1974 Ohio Plate. What are the odds that it matches the color!

When you look for stuff like this you want to get best prices. The person I deal with is a major collector, he told me his inventory was in hundreds of thousands. He is primarily a plate collector but he knows people within that hobby who may have good lead on frames as well.

Back on plates often times you can still get NOS plate at reasonable cost.
I do not have his last name but it doesn’t matter, this is a small group of people.
So give him a call @ 405 831 3085 his name is David.

He shared a trick with me concerning weathered plates. On a clean plate rub a small amount of vasoline onto plate using fingers, keyword small. Buff using a clean cloth and it will shine for several days maybe a week. Perfect for shows.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Twin Peaks wrote:

That's a helluva deal for a tag like that! The condition and color is awesome. The fact that it's a '74 and matches your car raises the awesomeness by an exponent or two! Never seen that seat belt thing but '74 was the year US cars were required to comply with new "Nader" inspired safety equipment, including a big push for wearing seatbelts.

You might place a WTB ad in the classifieds for the license plate frame. Also set an alert in eBay. YOM tags and period correct dealer tags are so cool Cool

anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Scored mine the other day for the beetle and the ghia... I’m restoring the 62 plate... so ill add it later.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Funny to see this thread pop up again recently. I just got pulled over for having a YOM plate for the first time today. That after tens of thousands of miles in both my Bus and Beetle over about 8 years, he was the first to question it. I guess when he ran my plate, nothing came up. That’s fair. Can’t blame him for looking into it further. Once I showed him the registration slip where both plates are listed, he was cool and sent me on my way.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Finally found a fitting number plate for my '55. "T" plates (denoting a "lightweight" car) are really hard to find, especially in good condition. This one I just acquired carries the Dade County code "1" and the "T" lightweight code. The condition of the tag is really nice!!

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
Funny to see this thread pop up again recently. I just got pulled over for having a YOM plate for the first time today. That after tens of thousands of miles in both my Bus and Beetle over about 8 years, he was the first to question it. I guess when he ran my plate, nothing came up. That’s fair. Can’t blame him for looking into it further. Once I showed him the registration slip where both plates are listed, he was cool and sent me on my way.

In FL, we are required to post a Month/Year registration sticker for each year on the number plate. I don't want to deface my tags, so I made little tabs to hold the sticker. Here's the one on my '56 bug. I asked a buddy in law enforcement if he'd pull me over if I didn't have the sticker and he said "maybe." But he wouldn't cite me if I showed a current registration card. But with the month/year sticker on the little tab, he would not likely pull me over if it's current. So I run the little tab to avoid issues from Johnny Law.

Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Michigan has Historical and Authentic license plates.

Authentic license plates, the vehicle must be:
- 26 or more years old
- Owned solely as a collector's item
- A vehicle registered with a regular historic plate or authentic historic plate cannot be used for general transportation.
Authentic Plate, the vehicle can only used for participating in historical club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, car shows, swap meets, and similar uses.
One time fee of $35., valid until vehicle is sold.
Also, has to have year specific sticker applied.

One on my '73 Fastback...
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: YOM / Antique License Plates Reply with quote

Don't forget, you're "free" to drive it daily if you choose the entire month of August.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: