Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starts, revs, then dies...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Starts, revs, then dies... Reply with quote

Link

(that's just turning the key and letting it rip, no gas pedal)

The alternator crapped out 3 weeks ago, got a used one at a wrecking yard, popped it in and now she won't start. I didn't test the alternator but I have a gut feeling it's good.

The only other change since she ran was I gutted the AC system (all the wires and stuff behind the left cover in back, the evaporator, and the compressor on the engine). I know that the AC system is tied to the rad. fan, but is it also somehow tied to an idle sensor or something that would confuse the brain and make the engine not run right??

Oh yeah, '88 GL w/AC (before I took it out Surprised )
Thanks,
Elliot

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that everything was more or less fine before you swapped out the alt?

If yes, then I would really look at your procedure for installing the "new" alt OR make sure the "new" alt isn't shite OR make sure the old one is actually bad. In other words, you need to know if this has anything to do with the alt install, if not the actual alternator.

Belive me, I'm no expert, but if you can be sure that you didn't guff up the alt install AND that you have a good alt then it's likely that you have another problem. My guess GUESS is you might have a fuel delivery problem judging from the way the engine ramps down. Maybe the vacuum hose got yanked off your pressure regulator (although I think that would mean unregulated apeshit pressure) or the regulator is bad. Maybe the pump is bad. When you turn the key to the first stop (don't start the engine) listen for the sound of the fuel pump humming. It'll hum for a moment and then spin down so it doesn't overheat or overpressurize your lines.

There are some crude but accurate fuel tests in the shop manual and on the ProTraining PDFs that Dogpilot has so generously provided. These tests involve basically pulling the injectors to see if they are putting out fuel.

Maybe someone smarter will jump in on this one. Let's hope.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, but I love the video!!! Is technology great or what!??

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
Nevermind. found it.

When I was taking the AC compressor bracket off I unbolted the fuel pressure regulator from the black air dist. box thingy to open things up a little. Forgot to bolt it back on so there were 2 open holes sucking in air...

As I was getting ready to do a fuel pressure test, my Dad pointed and said, "is that supposed to be loose?" Rolling Eyes

And yes, youtube rocks. I'll be sure to use it again when I have a real problem.

Thanks for the help though deprivation,

Elliot

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go! I'm glad this worked out for you. I think you owe dad a beer.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But just one. You know how ornery the old man gets when he's drinking...

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually he just gets really silly and talkative and then goes to sleep, but yeah, I owe him one Smile

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: