Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about lug patterns
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4spaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Question about lug patterns Reply with quote

I bought my bug from a tow company that found it in a river. Therefore I have no papers. The code on the pan says it's a 1968. How come my front beam has five lugs and my swingaxle has four lugs?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone added 5-lug drums
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
someone added 5-lug drums

or swapped front beams to keep a set of disc brakes...who know for sure but the person that did it...i swaped front spindle assemblies between a beetle and ghia that i was selling so that i could have disc brakes on my bug. Maybe that was the case...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely they put on a a beam they had lying around to make it a roller so they could push it into the ditch where it was found.

-jeffrey
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its really a 68, they didn't swap the beam. 5 lugs were only available with link pin beams. 68's had ball joint beams, and the two are not interchangeable.

Is this the VW wide 5 bolt pattern or the smaller Chevy style 5 bolt pattern? My guess is somebody put some cheapo Chevy adapters on the stock 4 lug drums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida_Buggy wrote:
If its really a 68, they didn't swap the beam. 5 lugs were only available with link pin beams. 68's had ball joint beams, and the two are not interchangeable.

Is this the VW wide 5 bolt pattern or the smaller Chevy style 5 bolt pattern? My guess is somebody put some cheapo Chevy adapters on the stock 4 lug drums.

You are incorrect, Beetles went to ball joints in 1966 in the USA and 66-67 beetles still had 5x205mm wheels. In other parts of the world 5 lug wheels were used into the 70s.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing, check the VIN# on the pan. just to confirm that the car is a '68.

-jeffrey
4x4spaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the tires off and it does have adapters on it. They are smaller 5 lug adapters.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: