Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 Outer Window Scraper Rubbers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: 58 Outer Window Scraper Rubbers Reply with quote

OK I'm not that naive but when it comes to '58 Ghia window rubber I'm a beginner.

I've got the rubber outer window scrapers but how are the chrome strips retained? From the extract from the '58 parts list below it looks like it's pinch clips of some sort. I don't want to start jemmying with a screwdriver only to bust something so any tips on how to do it?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little clips slide in to the chrome trim - there are enlarged areas on the track where you fit the clips in

Put the rubber on the chrome and poke the clips through the rubber. Line the rubber up on the lip of the door and line the clips up with the holes. Once it is all lined up it just snaps in.
Scott@KGPR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
Those little clips slide in to the chrome trim - there are enlarged areas on the track where you fit the clips in

Put the rubber on the chrome and poke the clips through the rubber. Line the rubber up on the lip of the door and line the clips up with the holes. Once it is all lined up it just snaps in.

Note: This is ONLY on 1961-1971
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott@KGPR wrote:
70 140 wrote:

Ahh, Sorry. So 55-60 used the screws...
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Outer Scraper fitment 55-60 and 61-71 Reply with quote

Scott@KGPR wrote:
70 140 wrote:

Thanks for that Scott, much appreciated. I was told the trim slid off but it was a good job I asked first Very Happy

"70 140", Thanks for that too...it's good to cater for early and late in one topic. Perhaps I sould have been more specific in the topic title Rolling Eyes
1958ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
The picture that you have shown there actually doesn't show the "chrome strip". The strip that you labelled as chrome strip is actually the outer felt retaining strip which clips to the door with the rubber scraper mashed between it and the door. The felt piece is held into that retaining strip with little "ears" which clamp on top and bottom of it. The chrome strip is held into place with little screws like the others have mentioned, which is easier said then done. You have to get the correct height of the screw for each screw before it fits correctly. Have fun!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1958ghia wrote:
John,
The picture that you have shown there actually doesn't show the "chrome strip". The strip that you labelled as chrome strip is actually the outer felt retaining strip which clips to the door with the rubber scraper mashed between it and the door. The felt piece is held into that retaining strip with little "ears" which clamp on top and bottom of it. The chrome strip is held into place with little screws like the others have mentioned, which is easier said then done. You have to get the correct height of the screw for each screw before it fits correctly. Have fun!

Embarassed Thanks Kyle, I wondered why it seemed to appear under the rubber moulding rather than on top Laughing Senility setting in Sad
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Got The Rubbers Guys - Now what? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
OK I'm not that naive but when it comes to '58 Ghia window rubber I'm a beginner.

I've got the rubber outer window scrapers but how are the chrome strips retained? From the extract from the '58 parts list below it looks like it's pinch clips of some sort. I don't want to start jemmying with a screwdriver only to bust something so any tips on how to do it?

i have the strip as reproduction. they need only a little bit finish-works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Got The Rubbers Guys - Now what? Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:

i have the strip as reproduction. the need omly a little bit finish-works.

Thanks Udo, I have the strip, just wanted to know how they are attached.
Working on fitting my Stainless Steel Bumpers today. I'll probably get round to the outer scrapers tomorrow Smile
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get the exploded drawing from?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpw wrote:

It's a complete '58 parts list scanned at very high resolution and comes from "Broadacus" on his excellent Lowlight Info DVD. I highly recommend it if you're learning about early Ghias.

Just PM here and get him to stick one in the mail for you.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a quick look through the "Broadacus" DVD and found what I had been looking for all along in the '58 Workshop Manual. Rolling Eyes

Interesting extra snippet of info about converting your old spec to newer spec fittings too.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Got The Rubbers Guys - Now what? Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
udo dreisoerner wrote:

i have the strip as reproduction. the need omly a little bit finish-works.

Thanks Udo, I have the strip, just wanted to know how they are attached.
Working on fitting my Stainless Steel Bumpers today. I'll probably get round to the outer scrapers tomorrow Smile

hi john, i hope to find the time to post in this threas some pics bout mounting that strip..

write here more about the stainless stell bumpers, and pics, pleaseeeeeeeee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Got The Rubbers Guys - Now what? Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:

hi john, i hope to find the time to post in this threas some pics bout mounting that strip..

write here more about the stainless stell bumpers, and pics, pleaseeeeeeeee

Yes will do.
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
hpw wrote:

It's a complete '58 parts list scanned at very high resolution and comes from "Broadacus" on his excellent Lowlight Info DVD. I highly recommend it if you're learning about early Ghias.

Just PM here and get him to stick one in the mail for you.

So that wouldn't cover a 66? Is there one for a "non-lowlight"?
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi john,
here some pics of my stripe and mounting knob. i bought the knobs by lars neuffer in germany.
regards, udo

here: original stripe

1. step for using...

2. step, ready for mounting

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

udo dreisoerner wrote:
hi john,
here some pics of my stripe and mounting knob. i bought the knobs by lars neuffer in germany.
regards, udo

They're good pictures Udo, thanks for that...it adds very useful information to the thread. I really only wanted to change the outer rubber scrapers but when I got the chrome stip off this afternoon I realised I have to drop the window glass to remover the outer felt strips that you show in your pictures.

Then a mate arrived and we talked Karmann Ghias for an hour as he hadn't seen my car before and by that time the dog demanded to be walked and I was f***ing freezing so I put the KG back in the garage Laughing

I've taken some pictures of the process so when I finish the driver's door I'll post them...maybe tomorrow...if it's not too cold. Rolling Eyes
Paul_Revere's Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this thread John? I would love to see some more installation tips as i am just preparing to do mine- Interestingly though my chrome scraper appears to have the clips like on the later models as opposed to the screws- Any others like this???

I would specifically like to see how the outer rubber scraper is held in place? Does it get held in place with the felt strip in Udo's photo's??

Cheers,

Seth

You can now follow me on Facebook to keep up to date with my latest Artwork & Ceramics-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport/Seth-Draper-Art-Ceramics/150919701594700?ref=mf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth if you don't already have it the VW Ghia Bodywork Book is in the Archive as a downloadable .pdf file...very useful: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1960_karmann_ghia_workshop_manual.php

It's titled 1960 but covers the earlier years too.
Paul_Revere's Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Seth if you don't already have it the VW Ghia Bodywork Book is in the Archive as a downloadable .pdf file...very useful: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1960_karmann_ghia_workshop_manual.php

It's titled 1960 but covers the earlier years too.

thanks John, That is a fantastic reference ans I am sure it will be invaluable for the remainder of the refit, but it really doesn't cover the lowlight window scraper seal installation- I think I have it worked out now but will let you know-

Cheers

Seth

You can now follow me on Facebook to keep up to date with my latest Artwork & Ceramics-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Newport/Seth-Draper-Art-Ceramics/150919701594700?ref=mf
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: