Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor shaft felt sleeve question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad97321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

Hi,

I couldn't find an answer to this question by searching. I am rebuilding my distributor for my engine (stock 1970 type 3 with FI distributor - vw-311-905-205AB), and it has a sleeve of felt stuff (like the kind that goes under the rotor on the top of the shaft) in the tube of the distributor body between the shaft bushings. I assume it holds oil up against the shaft or something. The stuff is kind of brittle and I am wondering if I should remove it, replace it (any good sources for it?), or leave it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

M.D.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I can send you a replacement.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

Does anyone know what this piece is called and what it is made from? I need to find a replacement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Does anyone know what this piece is called and what it is made from? I need to find a replacement.

You can make it out of the felt pads that go on the bottom of chair/stool legs (cut & shape to size). Available at your local Lowes and/or Home Depot.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

The wool felt is typically a non wear item. If the distributor is extra dirty or has been exposed to the open air for a long period it might need replacement. It doesn't have a name since it rarely gets paid attention too.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

Are the specs for this available such as hardness/firmness, fiber content, etc?

I was thinking of getting this:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#8770K9

Will that work correctly?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

Why not just offer Glenn some $$$ for them? He's said up there he has them!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Are the specs for this available such as hardness/firmness, fiber content, etc?

I was thinking of getting this:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#8770K9

Will that work correctly?

No!...I would not use that. The temp rating of 200F is too low. Its not uncommon for distributors on long highway runs to be upwards to 250F. That felt is Rayon. While it starts as a cellulose product...it is polymerized. Its now largely a plastic.

While the wool felt only lists 200F...it will not melt, soften or compact and when its soaked with oil it has a higher temp range

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look under hard felt. You want something in the 55-60 durometer range

The S2-20 material in 1/4" will work fine. a 12" x 12" sheet is $23.02. You can punch out several hundred wicks from that sheet.

You can usually also buy 100% wool felt from JO-Ann Fabrics. It really does not matter how hard it is....as long as its not so hard that oil cannot seep through it when saturated...and it has to have enough compaction to stay put in the bore.

You can probably just get a snippet sample of 100% wool felt at the fabric store for free. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:

Why does he have to do everything the hard way.

This is just some of them I have.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

He's not looking for the felt buttons, he's looking for the felt that goes inside the shaft. Little rectangle like 1x3 or so. I'm also looking for this replacement.

OP:
Glenn hooked me up some of the felt buttons cheap, and got them to me quick if you need those as well.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:

That was 10 years ago.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
He's not looking for the felt buttons, he's looking for the felt that goes inside the shaft. Little rectangle like 1x3 or so. I'm also looking for this replacement.

D'oh

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I guess I could just buy a distributor already built. That would be easy, expensive, and not much fun.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

This guy has some listed for sale... $4.12 plus shipping from Norway.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&s...1234702008

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Glenn wrote:

I guess I could just buy a distributor already built. That would be easy, expensive, and not much fun.

If you buy it from the right person, it will be done right and work like new. If you buy it from the wrong person... flip a coin. I've rebuild many that were "rebuilt" by someone else.

I do rebuilds for a dozen restoration shops including VW, Porsche and Mercedes Benz. These shops know it's its better to sub out the work to a specialty shop than to do it themselves.

There's more to taking it apart, cleaning and putting it back together.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
kawfee wrote:
Glenn wrote:

If you buy it from the right person, it will be done right and work like new. If you buy it from the wrong person... flip a coin. I've rebuild many that were "rebuilt" by someone else.

I do rebuilds for a dozen restoration shops including VW, Porsche and Mercedes Benz. These shops know it's its better to sub out the work to a specialty shop than to do it themselves.

There's more to taking it apart, cleaning and putting it back together.

Yes, you keep saying that. It's time to learn.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

Lets just hope your transmission doesn't need a rebuild.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
kawfee wrote:

Lets just hope your transmission doesn't need a rebuild.

I hope it does. I don't know if I am ready to buy the tools to rebuild a transmission. I suppose when that time comes, it comes.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Oooh la la. I love it when I see a Bosch number.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor shaft felt sleeve question Reply with quote

Can someone that has one give the actual dimensions of the new Bosch felt pad?

Interesting to see a discussion of this part. At the beginning of the year I asked one of the people who routinely advertises rebuilt distributors what material to use for a replacement, and their response was that it wasn't needed. Guess I need to find some suitable felt and take the distributor back apart.

Is the felt installed in a v-shape, so it presses up against the rotating shaft, or rolled up into a tubular shape? I seem to recall it having a crease, like it was folded, but the pieces were crumpling so badly it was hard to tell.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: