Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1200 40HP flywheel questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferrety66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 40HP flywheel questions Reply with quote

Well, it does not get more clear than that. Thank you very much for you help. Yes, I noticed the groove. Actually is not one. There are three around the crank aligned one after the other separated by about 10mm from each other. They are not very deep and I have no idea how they were formed. They do not seem to affect anything negatively but, I just wonder how they might have formed.

Armed with all this information, I am driving to Santa Ana tomorrow. This cool guy at DPR machinery told he has the 6v / 180mm / o-ringed flywheel I need.

Thank you again.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Ferrety66 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 40HP flywheel questions Reply with quote

Jose at DPR is awesome. Say hi for me from Brooklyn!

Take your pressure plate with you and have him balance the two together as an assembly while you're there.
Ferrety66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200 40HP flywheel questions Reply with quote

Hey sjbartnik, yes that is his name I remember now that you mentioned it. He seemed cool. Thank you for the advice I will take the pressure plate with me.
maggiolino91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 40HP flywheel questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I have a question. Does the 6v early flywheel (paper gasket) fit in a 12v engine ( D series, 1972)?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 40HP flywheel questions Reply with quote

maggiolino91 wrote:
Hi everyone! I have a question. Does the 6v early flywheel (paper gasket) fit in a 12v engine ( D series, 1972)?

Yes. The late crankshaft will work with both types of flywheel, while early crankshafts will only work with the early flywheels. The seal used is determined by the type of flywheel fitted -- you must use a paper or metal gasket with the early flywheel and an o-ring with a late flywheel.
maggiolino91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1200 40HP flywheel questions Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
maggiolino91 wrote:

Yes. The late crankshaft will work with both types of flywheel, while early crankshafts will only work with the early flywheels. The seal used is determined by the type of flywheel fitted -- you must use a paper or metal gasket with the early flywheel and an o-ring with a late flywheel.

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: