Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Well, it will be a bandaid fix for the slave cylinder, for now. Parts from the same company, same store, and ordered at the same time are not working together. Doh!
Thanks EMPI... not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Just remember Every Mistake Passes Inspection. Rolling Eyes Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Hydraulic clutch slave cylinder installed. Next is too bleed the system, install new vc gaskets, rear wheels then clean up more of the rat damage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

good luck!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

I will be loading the car on the trailer in the morning.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

The car was hiding something after the rats moved out. I think it was tunnel insulation. Grrrr

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And after vac and shampoo...

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

My sweetie helped me bleed the clutch tonight. I can shift, which means I can back onto the trailer without crashing!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
The car was hiding something after the rats moved out. I think it was tunnel insulation. Grrrr

Look at all that extra weight you were carrying. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Short list of cnanges: passenger seat belt. Fuel lines from tank to carbs. Rear shocks. Rejet for the street.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Well after running rich at the Invasion, today I discovered why. My fuel pressure had crept from 2.2 psi to 4.3. The fuel regulator adjuster was still tight. Hmmm... Back down to 2.2 and everything corrected. Now, if getting reverse again was that easy!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

I think I have finally found my no reverse shifter issue. After disassembling everything, cleaning, lubing and starting to reassemble I found that over 27 years, the cables have stretched. While they still slide freely, the left to right shift cable has grown almost 3/8". This has pushed things past their designed travel limits. So, now I am altering some dimensions to accommodate. Hopefully I will have an accessible reverse again, as well as a less vague pattern. Hopefully...
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

Now seeking alternate sources for a shifter for the car. This cable system is not delivering.

Last edited by vwfye on Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
No seeking alternate sources for a shifter for the car. This cable system is not delivering.

Why not have some new cables made up? Josh has posted up a good company in California to use, as he's used them for a few of his custom cables for his own car. Maybe talk with them on the phone or e-mail and see if they can modify yours?
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

The cables operate smoothly. The linkage is the issue. It has been since the beginning of this whole thing. It's time to get something different.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
The cables operate smoothly. The linkage is the issue. It has been since the beginning of this whole thing. It's time to get something different.

Ok, so have you figured out what changes need to be done to it? Is it a case of needing longer or shorter connecting rods? Or maybe different heim joints to make it move more smoothly? Or is it the bracketry that supports everything (including pivot points) that needs to be re-done? You have to give us a little help as we don't know what the actual issue is. Or what it's not doing properly. Can the cable mount be moved to shorten or lengthen the stroke of the cable? Keep in mind that you're the only type 3 owner with a mid engine type 3, so we're a little left out on what's going on. Have you tried some of the off road shops online catalogs to see what they're doing for mid mounted engines? Or look in the off road forum on the Samba? Or even ask there? I just don't know enough about your set up, so I'm asking.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

My set up is no longer produced and hasn't been since the 90s. My guess is I know why. It was chosen, at the time, because it was neither cheap nor the most expensive.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
My set up is no longer produced and hasn't been since the 90s. My guess is I know why. It was chosen, at the time, because it was neither cheap nor the most expensive.

Alright. Have you disassembled it looking for wear? That might give you an idea of what you might need to do. Maybe some teflon bushings are worn out, or the aluminum has new wear spots in it. Keep in mind that it's at least 22+ years old, so maybe you need to step up to something else. That's why I suggested the off road forum, as they might have so other ideas on who might be selling good stuff versus crap.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mid engine Notch Speedster getting more updates... Reply with quote

It has all been torn down, reassembled, altered and rereassembled. In the end, I believe the design is the flaw and I am not sure it can reasonably altered.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 32

Jump to: