Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 4 engine tin questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
incynr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: type 4 engine tin questions Reply with quote

I just got my first t4 bus and have a few questions

1) is there any external peice of tin that covers the oil cooler, which would be visible and removeable with engine in situ on the drivers side? I see a series of what appears to be 4 bolt holes on the side of the fan shroud and wonder if a piece extends to cover the oil cooler?

2) I assume the rear most surround tin and the push rod tube tin are the only in situ removable engine tin pieces as well?
mnskmobi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 engine tin questions Reply with quote

incynr8 wrote:
I just got my first t4 bus and have a few questions

1) is there any external peice of tin that covers the oil cooler, which would be visible and removeable with engine in situ on the drivers side? I see a series of what appears to be 4 bolt holes on the side of the fan shroud and wonder if a piece extends to cover the oil cooler?

I suspect you are looking at the bolt holes that are for the air con (IIRC)

incynr8 wrote:

2) I assume the rear most surround tin and the push rod tube tin are the only in situ removable engine tin pieces as well?

Do you mean from underneath the bus? If so that matches my recollection (without going to check!).
incynr8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I see unpopulated holes and begin to wonder.
The in situ removable tin query was any tin removeble without removing the engine, simply to freshen the tin's paint.

I do not wish to pull manifolds and try for anything crazy like fan shroud or upper tins. With 49k original I will run it until I must pull the engine and then my re-do everything sickness can kick in.

The last 42k VW I found ran like a top on the factory build and still is, so I can't bring myself to do a motor pull since I dont need to do the clutch yet either.
Patrick199
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The in situ removable tin query was any tin removeble without removing the engine, simply to freshen the tin's paint.

The three pieces furthest to the rear (surrounding the fan and shroud) can also be removed without removing the engine.
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alternator cover as well, but you'll have to remove one of the mounting bolts that passes through it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: