Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early westy bay with dormy top
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ukdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Early westy bay with dormy top Reply with quote

i found an early westy bay a while back it had the dormobile top on it but with a westy interior are there many of these around ?I just wondered as i might go get it.
autiger78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't exactly rare, but you don't see that many of them...you're much more likely to find a the westy interior w/Dormie top than a Dormobile interior w/Dormie top, from what I can tell.

If you decide not to get it, PM me please...I need parts for my Dormie hack project...
82-T/A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they call it that because many people "back in the day" couldn't afford the cost of housing at many colleges so they lived in their VW Bus? This seems to be a story I hear all too often. We had a 40th anniversary for one of my wife's older friends, and the theme was based all around my VW Bus (60s and all that other stuff). They the people at the party found out the Bus in the pictures all over the walls was mine, I had three seperate people come up to me with nearly identical stories about how they went to college while "living" in their Bus.

Kind of cool I suppose.
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cc79westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive there's a lot of truth in those stories. Some people on this site are college students and some do their studying/sleeping in their bus. It can also give them a break from their roommate when needed.
autiger78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dormobile conversion originated in Britain, but I guess they have poor college students there too...

Still, my guess is they just thought it was a good name for a vehicle that slept 4-5 people...
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a lot of times the Westy interior was a different setup than the one you usually see - definitely check it out and see which Westy interior it is...it may have the stove and full height cabinets...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: