Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

4 Leg middle seat.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: 4 Leg middle seat. Reply with quote

I saw a 2/3 middle seat for sale on the weekend, and I'm wanting to know if it would be correct for my 54' Kombi. I didn't have my Camera with me, but here is some details.

-Correct pebbled black vinyl.
-4 legs, evenly spaced.
-Large "coil" type springs
-No grab handle, no armrest.
-The backrest looked quite thin, and very straight.

Any thoughts or pictures of what one should look like?

... yes I did a search, and looked at Barndoor.dk. 4 legs don't seem to be very common.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be, but without pictures it will be hard to tell for certain. Does your bus have the seat mounting points in the right location to accept a 2/3 middle seat?
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have... The floor looks a bit like an archeology project.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It sat for a lot of years without a sunroof cover, so the floors are a little worse for wear.

I was thinking that if the seat was correct, I would just install seat mounts for the seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it took a full width middle seat originally. I think I can see the forward bracket right by the cargo door edge.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Looks like it took a full width middle seat originally. I think I can see the forward bracket right by the cargo door edge.

You could be a VW archeologist then......
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As dean of students at the Institute of Modern Barndoors, I agree with Professor and Archeologist Eh Greg. Not very common for buses of those years to come with short middle seats. I have seen them in early BD's. This fossil needs to be excavated at HAZ-RAFF Restorations! Eh Greg, aren't you visiting this fine institute soon??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pics, maybe this will help.... If it is for a 54' should it not have a grab handle?

Any thoughts?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concept1 wrote:
Here are a few pics, maybe this will help.... If it is for a 54' should it not have a grab handle?

Any thoughts?

where are you located? where did you find the seat?

it looks like it could be one of those seats that was made outside germany. Portugul has some odd middle seats. maybe other countries also.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks the part to me. just quickly looked at my 6 leg frame and the build looks the same. the spring section is put together slightly different but not far off. im not sure when they changed some of that stuff. i think i would believe it to be real deal. pretty cool.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a seat from portugal and it looked very similar. does it have a wood frame?

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm located in Canada. The seat came from a VW collector here, who had it for 15+ years.

No part of the frame seems to be wood. There is a pressed cardboard insert on the rear facing part under the vinyl, that looks like door panel material.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking that might be a '50 or '51 kombi seat.

since the seat is not in one of the weird CKD or local manufacture markets, it is more than likely of german origin. the backrest appears to be rounded at the top corners, which would leave no provision for grab handles which you see on '52+ seats. it has no wood, and the backrest doesn't appear to be removeable like the portuguese seats.

that is a monster middle seat. super rare. including this seat, I only know of 5 pre-'59 2/3 middle seats. 3 of those seats are '56-'58 standard seats, one is a '51 standard seat, and this '50-'51 kombi seat.

here is a picture of the '51 standard seat:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now this begs the question.... what am I going to do with this ultra-rare 50-51' middle seat?

What kind of money is it worth, roughly?

I already bought it, and it won't really work for me. Anyone need one? I'd be willing to work a deal on a 6 leg if someone has one just laying around.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concept1 wrote:
So now this begs the question.... what am I going to do with this ultra-rare 50-51' middle seat?

What kind of money is it worth, roughly?

I already bought it, and it won't really work for me. Anyone need one? I'd be willing to work a deal on a 6 leg if someone has one just laying around.

it is really hard to put a value on an item that rare. there is a very limited number of buses that could use the seat.

I would say the value is roughly the same as a six leg seat in compareable condition (insane $$) I would recomend holding out for a trade of an original upholstery six-leg seat or a nice reupholstered six-leg seat depending on what level you are building your bus to. it will probably be easier to trade that seat for the right one than to find a loose six-leg for sale.

I wonder what seat Bubba's '50 kombi came with originally....
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that seat upholstered correctly for a 50-51 short middle seat? I thought they all had the ribbed seat material? I must admit I'm not sure how many kombis I've seen with that style seat though

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
Is that seat upholstered correctly for a 50-51 short middle seat? I thought they all had the ribbed seat material? I must admit I'm not sure how many kombis I've seen with that style seat though

do you mean the pleats?

kombi seats don't have pleats like microbuses do.

middle seat identification:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107848
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I meant the pleats. I know that kombis have plain seat covers (my 52 is a kombi), but for some reason I had it in my head that all the super early buses with a short middle seat had pleated covers. I think it's because I've never seen a kombi seat for that age bus, the only ones I've seen have been standards like AB 51

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think one of the better ways to determine the year would be to have Drew check on the spring section of his 51 . or i suppose any earlier bus seat for that matter i guess. these are the springs on my 54 seat .i dont have a post BD 6 leg to look at for changes but this short seat could also be post BD seeing that it doesnt have the cross springs attatching the main springs in this photo.

edit!! then again, after thinking/rereading Linds point of the rounded top corners sound more logical for the earlier seat.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep it and bring to this years ECAMAS trail bash and middle seat theater.
Drew Ogden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go. The lack of grab bar on the other one is confusing. I am not sure what to make of that.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: