Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My $75 67 Standard project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Scored this cool green Coleman stove for free off a guy on craigslist.

Both of these cargo doors came off busses that were parted out years ago. The left is an early 60's kombi, the right is a later deluxe. You can see the deluxe trim holes I need to fill. These doors would not close against each other when I first mounted them. They appeared to be "flat" and left a 10" gap where they meet. Mad Later I found out they were on busses that were rolled. Off they came, and with some massaging and standing on them propped against a tree, wha-la! Nice and tight fit.
Is this the right 67 only cargo door handle? I paid $10 for some trinkets at the Madera swapmeet, but told the guy he had to throw this handle in. Deals CAN be had! At the same swap, I got the correct? rear view mirror for $2. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cargo floor area is amazing!!! I can hit it with a mallet and nothing breaks off!

This bus sat on stumps at an upward angle, nose up. If it weren't for this, and being in California, the floors and frame would have been toast! The water just kind of rolled out the back.
The front window frames do have some deep pitting, I'll fix them when I'm ready to put the safaries in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This aluminum ladder used to be bolted to a wall at my work to allow access to a loft. A staircase had been built a few years later, so the ladder almost landed in the dumpster. I'll make a westy style ladder out of it.

Here's the OG safaries I got off the samba. They need work, but will go great with this thing. Also, a NOS Tam O' Shanter plaid/snakeskin pattern icebox I scored a few years ago.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the worst of the headliner. The wiring harness for the dome lights was hanging out, in perfect condition. Not sure why someone would bother pulling it only halfway out. Twas a bitch to feed back down the window pillar! Mad

I'm only repainting the outside of the bus. The interior and doorjamb paint are full of patina. Look at this old school attempt at fixing this headliner tear. Cool

Last edited by TinCanFab on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gas pedal was there when I got the bus, but was ripped out at the welds. It's held in by 2 sheet metal screws till I get it welded in. The shifter had the little peg cut off at the ball where it aligns at the shift rod. I was actually able to weld on a new peg to the old one and it still has the spring loaded check ball functioning correctly. Holy crap that was hard to do! The 14 mm thread was cut off, and I welded a homeade extension with 12 mm threads to it.

Last edited by TinCanFab on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments, guys. This project is dedicated to all the bus people here on The Samba. I knew about this bus several years ago, but thought nothing of it. After seeing some REALLY challenging projects from the east coast and Europe, my perspective on what was worth saving changed. I love a totally original bus or accurate resto, but can’t afford it.

I don’t mean to rub it in faces that I got a bus for cheap. I just see and hear too many people complain that they’re too expensive. My advice is: be resourceful and network with people in the hobby. If you can weld, get a complete but crusty bus. If you are mechanically skilled, or can learn, get a rust free body that is missing stuff. If you’re broke, you can’t be too picky. Also, drive the damned thing before you decide to restore a bus and end up losing parts and interest while it’s torn apart!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice headliner and the other stuff looks like it will clean up well. I can't believe that dash is in that good a shape if it was sitting out for a long time. Usually the windshields leak and rust away. One drunk night the passenger pounded the dash or kicked it. That bus looks like it finally found someone to love it back.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I just can't stop laughing my brotha from anutha mutha!
Corndog Cory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhhhh you are trying to be like me dude but my bus has some upgrades that are better than you.

1. I have a window!!!

2. Your bus has no spare parts in the back. Dude, if my bus breaks down on the side of the road, like it dose all the time Sad , all I have to do is take an hour, clean those greasy ass parts, and then install it as cars pass by me at 65mph, all on the side of freeway.

3. All you have is a stock radio, dude. I chopped a huge hole in my dash and shoved a radio from an 82 Jetta in there. See, I only install newer VW parts, and dont deal with that old shit that dosent work well. Now I can listen to all of my Wham, Duran Duran, and Boy George cassettes.

4. I bought every accessory from Pep boys to supe up my G ride. I have honda stickers, neon lights, rainbow sitcker, and chrome bolts that make it look cool, and go fast.

Your trying to rip off my idea by painting your alternator purple. Dude, I painted all my engine tins pink. I grabbed a spray can, sprayed the entire front of my engine, engine bay, my face, and rear window and it looks siiiiiiiiiick.

If you really want to make your engine look nice, all you have to do is start your Bus up, and spray your pink spray paint into the fan. It will get all over your cylinders, and give them a layer of protection from cooling properly. That is how we do it at the Corndog house. OG NOS OEM Rarest of the Rare Professional !!!!

Oh, and those floors have nothing on my bus. I have custom factory installed (at work) OG hard wood floors in my bus. They give it a class of trash that cant be touched.

Oh, and if you want to see what my bus looks like, here is a little video of me driving my bus the other day. I am such a bad ass driver!!!!!!!

Link
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pic shows a nice shot of the fiberglass scoop holes, damaged tail light section and mangled vents that I need to fix. Battery tray is excellent, minus the slight ripples from the PO that crunched the corner.

Last edited by TinCanFab on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:32 am; edited 3 times in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still collecting the goods..

Not sure how a steel dash gets dented like this Rolling Eyes

Yes, I know the alternator is purple, no it's not staying this way Laughing I've still got the engine tins and seals to install and clean everything up, install breather box, etc..
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restored speedo was a birthday present from the friend who sold me the bus. Nice OG paint dash and uncut radio hole.

I have the OG panels for the driver side too, complete with sawzall scars. I'll reinforce the backsides with some duct tape and re-install when I finish welding up the holes.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on the wiring. Did the relay conversion from type2.com and it works great! The turn signal switch is shot and will be replaced though. High beam function doesn't work right. The cigarette lighter was added where an octogon shaped hole used to be. Also, the bug ignition switch hanging out is temporary till I get the right one. I really like the patina on the steering column and inner nose skin, it shows this bus is a true survivor.

Last edited by TinCanFab on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Corndog Cory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: I did all the work Reply with quote

Dude, all you need to do is just slap that thing back together and drive it. Who cares how it looks. Just go leave that rear quarter panel off, and drive it. It will increase air flow to your engine. High horsepower like a Honda.

Plus, if you put it back together, you can put all your accesories on it and drive it around town really close to cars all the time. By the way, that reminds me, I have a Rarest of the Rare acccessory for your bus roachdub58, I have a pressed front end. Yep, thats right, I have a pressed in front end that is pushed all the way up to the drivers seat. This is a rare accessory that was never installed on any bus except mine when I wrecked it. Who needs pressed bumpers when you have a pressed front end.

Gotta go, off to drive my 59 with my trip speedo. Oh wait, it dosent run. I gotta go slap it back together, and mob it. It is gonna be sickkkkkkkkk.

PS: Nice Bus. (but mine is better)
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dogleg seam damage is not easy to spot from the inside. Floor is very clean!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headliner is in amazing condition for sitting out in the weather for decades.

I'm using a remote control to run this deck mounted in the walk thru area. It's not OG and I paid $8 dollars for this seat at Pick-n-Pull. Plus, I won't be worrying about water getting in the deck after I put the safaries in.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an unknown folding table I found in a 79 bay

This seat is not Westy. I found this in the 79 bay as well. There was enough plaid material left over from the upper beds that I will be re-upholstering the front seats to match. The seat used to be black and white.

Last edited by TinCanFab on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All primered areas have been stripped to bare metal to see what I'm working with. The rear of this dogleg was crunched right at the seam at some point. I'm open to suggestions on how to tackle this area. I may have to drill out the spotwelds on the outer skin where the bulkhead meets the dogleg, then pull it and re-weld it.
The black spots are trucker mirror and bondoed up Mario Gavazzi style dentpuller holes.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be about 12 different clips I have to weld in. It really sucks that the seam was cut out. It will take patience to make the seam look right again. I will probably have to remove the spotwelds from my donor clip and weld it in as 2 seperate pieces. The triangle hole above this clip is where the CB antenna used to be. 4 rusty holes that I cut out....

It's looking more like a real bus, now. Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: