Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My $75 67 Standard project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: My $75 67 Standard project Reply with quote

After getting a call from a friend that needed help clearing out his backyard junk (vw stuff), I made a random decision to buy this bus and save it. There were a total of 4 parts busses in his backyard and a 67 bug. He was cutting them up and wanted my sawzall assistance. A 67 standard, a beatdown 60 panel, 64 mystery bus someone tried to cut into a single cab, and a rusted out 67 panel. I decided I didn’t want to cut up the standard, almost no rust and a clear dmv record!

The deal was struck for both 67’s. $75 for each. The rusty (terminal frame rot) panel would be the donor for about half the parts. Doors, front beam, hardware, and some miscellaneous knick knacks, sheet metal. Another VIN from an early 60’s bus had been welded in illegally at some point in it’s life. There was no hope for the panel. I cut it up very carefully and sold all the sheet metal on thesamba. I made double the money I spent and put it right back into the project.

From the get-go, this project was all about doing it on a budget. Every part that didn’t need to be bought new, was acquired in any creative way possible- I had many left over beetle parts to swap/trade. I was in a very bad financial spot, and had NO business buying another project, I dragged the parts bus home and cut it up within 3 days, then I brought home the standard, around Sept. 2006. I have done countless hours of work to it, but I do not have any “before” pics. I will post current pics soon. Here’s a description of what it was like:

Bare shell: NO doors, windows, rear interior, gauges, electrical, front beam, tranny, engine, brakes, shocks, lights, etc. Basically a rust free shell missing everything but a clean wiring harness. The only thing going for it was some clean front seat frames and that I had a spare 1776 with dual Dells sitting in my garage. It was sitting on 4 wooden stumps on the frame rails since about 1992. After parting out the rusty panel, we lifted the front in the air with an engine hoist and straps, and I installed the complete front end. Then we bolted up a bracket with a wheel to the tranny mount and rolled it onto a flatbed. The tow truck driver couldn’t believe his eyes! “You’re gonna save THAT” Shocked My neighbors were not thrilled. You can see the type of neighborhood I live in from the video. Several of them came over to investigate, they thought I was running a chop shop. Smile

Here is the recent video of it’s first time on the road since probably the early 80’s or late 70’s. I will post the m-codes later when I get home, along with some detailed shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0MvtfoHa1E
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff Power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! We both deserve a pat on the back, you for saving a bus and me for reading that entire post! Very Happy

Check out my basses here www.ellabasses.com

jerry wrote:

Nothing says "I love busses" more than picking up a mouse turd filled with horse hair seat padding
caseyjones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool story man.
66busman
Samba Motorcyclist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome score! Please post pics for us to drool over!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to save one!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the m-codes:

28 N
425 043 081 114 139
UA 2812 381383 706****

I had problems with my photobucket account last night. I will post up pics when I get a chance....and for those who think I'm super lucky, wait till you see the driver side. There is a 3' x 3' hack where the engine vents used to be Shocked

Last edited by TinCanFab on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:

I had problems with my photobucket account last night. I will post up pics when I get a chance....and for those who think I'm super lucky, wait till you see the passenger side. There is a 3' x 3' hack where the engine vents used to be Shocked

If thats all thats wrong with it super score
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, I convinced a buddy to come get the 60 panel...it is going to be back on the road as well. since I've been asked about it... I did my best to save them all, but two out of 4 aint bad. Besides, cutting up a bus in 110 degree heat sucks.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
$75 bucks is amazing in this day and age.
You can imbed video here at Everett's intertubes:

Link

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a slash end rear bumper I found locally. It's hard to see, but I fixed a deep crease where someone had backed into a pole..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sheet metal for the passenger side. This bus was done up back in the day like pictures I have seen called a "California Roller". Painted brown with a yellow stripe down the beltline, fiberglass scoops, filled emblem holes in the front, CB radio antenna hacks, rear fender flares. No surviving exterior OG paint left Crying or Very sad I will be re-spraying the original velvet green/pearl white.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You can see all the old hacks and spotwelds have been removed. The new clip is ready to go in.......

I picked up an extremely clean complete camper kit out of a 76 baywindow that was minutes from being crushed for dirt cheap. The rear closet had to be trimmed to clear the hatch hinges, the ice box had to be narrowed, and the bed had to be clearanced to fit around the heater log. Other than that, it fits well and the cloth interior is quite cozy.

I wasn't crazy about the green/goldenrod plaid combo, but it's grown on me a little. I usually prefer color combos that contrast instead of match. The curtains could look good with the green and white paint scheme, we'll see.....

Last edited by TinCanFab on Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:57 am; edited 4 times in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left cargo door does not have a popout hinge, yet.

I removed an old brazing job to expose the holes for the logo, welded up a bunch of holes in the doors and window frames(places you see the black or white spray paint), some holes in the beat front bumper. The driver door had the lower hinge welded back on, it was tore complely off!

After removing over an inch thick of bondo on the rear corners, the true condition is revealed. Over 50 nasty slide hammer holes in the upper right, and another 50 in the rusty lower right corner. It only rusted because of the exposed holes left by horrible body work. The donor is ready to go in.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like this glasspack thing I'm running, but it will work for now. It clears the apron and I'm ready to weld on a different tailpipe that clears a stock bumper.

The rear wheels are being borrowed from my bug, as soon as I get the passenger side wheel well welded in, I will decide what size tire to run. I prefer the look of the 15" bus wheels, plus they'll allow me to run different types of disc brakes in the future. With the power of this engine and the torque of the redux boxes, I plan on running drop spindles with late bay discs up front.

I've got a set of O.G. safaries, mud flaps, wheel covers/clips, a box full of rubber ready to go on too.... Smile
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some mechanical details:

-1776 w/041 heads, 110 cam, full flowed, Dell'orto 40's(swapped lightened flywheel back to stock)
-64-66 "big nut" tranny clearanced for 12 volt, rebuilt reduction boxes and lowered 1 outer spline
-all cables are new
-90% new metal brake lines, all new rubber lines
-master cylinder from 79 bay, homeade adapter, new rear brakes and turned drums, good used stuff up front
-new tie rods, drak link, excellent steering box with little play but leaks a little, king/links/center pin in beam is in excellent shape with very little play
-new Hella turn signal lenses, license light, H4 headlights
-new shocks
-repaired rear shift rod, new coupler, homeade shifter w/extension from a butchered early fatwindow bus, new bushings-shifts excellent!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're inspiring me. Keep it up. I glad you saved them.
66busman
Samba Motorcyclist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
You're inspiring me. Keep it up. I glad you saved them.

X2 Keep the pics coming!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to read, but it says : NEVER TRUST DEM HO"S
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
This is the driver door off the blue panel w/camper windows, supposedly from Napa, CA. Anyone seen this before?? There were multiple skate and surf stickers everywhere, too...
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockers are super rust free! All outriggers rust free, passenger rear could be replaced though, its a little twisted

When the tow truck driver was strapping the front end down to the flatbead, I showed him where to strap it down at the beam, then I walked away for a second. BIG MISTAKE! I looked back over and the idiot had a third strap attatched to the master cylinder bracket(there was no master in the bus). Then I heard that distinctive ratchet strap clicking. Mad He bent the SHIT out of the bracket, but I was able to straighten it back out.

Don't ever leave your bus unattended with these guys. They think that bracket is for a hook and strap, like new FWD cars have... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by TinCanFab on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: