Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keyed alike?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mailman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Keyed alike? Reply with quote

Anyone know which locks on a Beetle convertible were keyed alike? I had my doors and ignition keyed alike by Gabriel, the VW lock guru.

Now I've bought a locking glove box latch and hood release from a '67 convertible....same profile as my other locks, but not matching numbers. They are from the same car, and are keyed the same as each other, but not the same as my doors and ignition.

Should I have them re-keyed to match the others? How would an early convertible have been from the factory? Think

I'm still planning on sourcing a locking decklid T-handle, too.....
mailman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question....will a '67 glove box door fit properly in my '64 dash? Or will I have to modify my '64 glove box door to accept the locking latch (larger hole)? I know '67s had a ton of one-year-only parts.....
Euro 67
Samba's 67 part whord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 58-67 glove box lid are the same size.

as for one key, keep it at 2

millerje78 wrote:
I'm no expert but I'm guessing the spike during cold running has everything to do with the roofing tar(20-50) in the crankcase.

bill may wrote:
...i could be wrong as i have only been driving air cooled beetles since august 1965.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '60 Kab has one key for all locks: driver's door, ignition, hood release and glove compartment. I would imagine the same would hold true for '64.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought about 2 keys is, if you Valet park your VW you could lock the dash and take that key with you leaving the Ignition/Door key for the attendant.
Marvin
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 71 vert is keyed the same for door, ignition, and engine lid, and different for glove box.

B
duginabug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GA_Boy wrote:
One thought about 2 keys is, if you Valet park your VW you could lock the dash and take that key with you leaving the Ignition/Door key for the attendant.
Marvin

LOL...never in my life would I turn over the keys to my bug to a valet attendant.
If I went somewhere spiffy enough that included valet parking, I don't think I'd be driving my VW anyway.

Good thought though.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Key profile for glove box lock Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I was looking for information on glovebox locks and came across this thread. I want to buy a locking glove box from a vert and get it matched to my door and ignition. Therefore, I need to find one with the same profile as my keys. Can you tell what profile a glovebox lock is? Are they stamped like an original ignition switch and door handle would be?

Thanks!

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hole in convertible beetle is larger than hole in sedan. buy a vert glovebox lid with vert lock. all 67 convertibles had all keys matching-hood,glovebox,doors,rear decklid lock if original,ignition (dash and/or locking column) 66 and older had a different key if equipped with optional steering column lock.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
the hole in convertible beetle is larger than hole in sedan. buy a vert glovebox lid with vert lock. all 67 convertibles had all keys matching-hood,glovebox,doors,rear decklid lock if original,ignition (dash and/or locking column) 66 and older had a different key if equipped with optional steering column lock.

Yes, I do plan on buying the glovebox lid and lock together. But I need to confirm if the keycode is stamped anywhere on the lock. I e-mailed one seller, and he was unsure which key profile the lock accepted. So I was hoping I could find out if the lock should be stamped, and if so, then I could tell the seller where to look and find the code.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
66Rredvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, I do plan on buying the glovebox lid and lock together. But I need to confirm if the keycode is stamped anywhere on the lock. I e-mailed one seller, and he was unsure which key profile the lock accepted. So I was hoping I could find out if the lock should be stamped, and if so, then I could tell the seller where to look and find the code.

The cylinder has the lock key code on it see for an example:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=604330
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that ad is now pending, so if there were other pictures that showed the code, I can't see them. However, you gave me the info I needed. Thanks!!

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on the pic. The key in that ad is an SC type. Your 62 might use this blank. It might also use SU or SV. Obviously, you have to get the lock that fits your car's blank. This may be difficult to do. Easier might be to get all new locks for your car to match whatever glovebox door lock you find.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce. I did click on the pic. SC is what i need. Wish I had seen that ad earlier before it was pending. (guess it still won't hurt to email the seller though). I've already got matching door, ignition, and t-handle, so I'd hate to get them all re-keyed. I'm in no rush, so I'll just keep my eyes in the classifieds.

66Rredvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks Bruce. I did click on the pic. SC is what i need. Wish I had seen that ad earlier before it was pending. (guess it still won't hurt to email the seller though). I've already got matching door, ignition, and t-handle, so I'd hate to get them all re-keyed. I'm in no rush, so I'll just keep my eyes in the classifieds.

Dont bother as i bought that lock but here is another i was looking at
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66Rredvert wrote:
Quote:

Dont bother as i bought that lock but here is another i was looking at

Laughing No need to worry. It's a little more than I was wanting to spend anyways. Then I'd still have to shell out for a convertible glovebox door too!
Thanks for the link and information though!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: