Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Cooler installation pics???
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Oil Cooler installation pics??? Reply with quote

Does anybody have any installation pictures of an external oil cooler in a air-cooled Vanagon?
I have tried the search only finding posts about WBX's.
I found tencentlife's write-up on an WBX external cooler installation.
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=725232#725232
But I dont think that would work for an Air-Cooled....
So pictures or advice anyone...............
Preferably mounted over the transaxle......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might help?

http://home.earthlink.net/~mark.cumnock/westfalia/id17.html

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to put my oil cooler into the bottom of the vent column like 10c or kayakwesty either. I already filled that area with stuff (water-cooled intercooler reservoir, cruise control module, and engine air intake), and didn't feel like moving it.

My van is a 2wd with inline-4 turbodiesel, with Kennedy adapter plate & WBX trans. I have an air-oil cooler mounted on the driver's side, in the space where a syncro gas tank would go. It's above and aft of the driver's side axle. I have a 12" fan bolted to the back of it. I considered putting it on the passenger's side, so it was on the same side as the oil filter flange & sandwich plate. But the starter takes up a lot of that room with the Kennedy plate, so it had to be done on the driver's side.

Although there's lots of space for it there, that's all there is... space. Nothing is there to bolt on to. I had to get some 1" aluminum box section and angle pieces, in order to create a vertical pillar between the frame of the van (ie. the hollow box section that the bumper slides into) and the floor - I think the pillar is about 16" high IIRC. Air-oil coolers are really set up to bolt to vertical radiator brackets on front-engined cars, so you have to make your own in a Vanagon.

I'm not sure I can get a great photo of my setup, as it's pretty cramped in there. I can't really offer any fixed measurements either... it was all trial and error stuff. Watch out for the hard line to the clutch slave cylinder, as it's really close to the electric fan shroud (with my setup, anyway).

I only recently installed it all, so I haven't tested it in hot weather yet. If it doesn't get enough cold air in that position, I'll try to rig up an air scoop. But there's nothing really to bolt the scoop to... the trailing arm & the transmission are pretty much right where I'd want it. Maybe a flexible plastic sheet would work, spanning the trailing arm and transmission, and allowing the trailing arm to move around without damaging the plastic sheet scoop.
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some photos, not brilliant, but gives you an idea. Please excuse the slightly rumpled cooling fins. They take a beating every time you play with the test fitting.

From in front of the driver's side axle, looking rearward:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From directly underneath (worthless foam sound insulation removed from van floor directly above cooler... got tired of it falling into my face:

From directly underneath, detail of aluminum pillar:

From rear bumper, facing forward:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: