Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tiico Automatic? (or auto to manual conversion?)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Tiico Automatic? (or auto to manual conversion?) Reply with quote

Right now on my rear porch lies a Tiico kit, complete with the manual trans. On Craiglist I have found a '91 Vanagon auto; with a blown motor for $1000. I have yet to look at the van and assess its worth to me, but if I were to buy it I would have to either put the Tiico motor in with the auto or throw the manual tranny in the '91, as well as the shift linkage, pedal cluster, hydraulic lines and I assume the axles(anything else?).

I did a search and can't seem to find anybody running a Tiico mated to an automatic... is this true and if so what are the reasons? I grabbed the trans when I bought the kit since I was told it has a special input shaft required for the Tiico, one which I assume the automatic does not have. Can it be transplanted to an auto? Thanks for any input.

-Rob
WVVWFERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently did this conversion. Email him at: [email protected] his name is Randy
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run the auto. There isnt enough HP being pumped out of that tiico to hurt the auto. People are running them with vr6 and 3.3 svx motors. And no problems at all. Assuming the auto in the van is any good.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the ad, the van has "new shocks, cooling system, tires, and a tranny with less than 20k" so I'd like to run the auto if it doesn't cost too much in effort. I do all my own work so it I'm hoping an input shaft swap is fairly easy.

-Rob
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a auto similar to a TIICO...go for it...it's a great marriage, I had a stick and went to an auto,,,its climbs hills alot better!

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the input shaft would be irrealavent in an auto as they use a flexplate and torque converter. I would say the most important things you need to look into is flexplate fitment, bellhousing to engine fitment, and throttle linkage setup. And I have seen Kayakwesty's setup firsthand so I know it can be done Wink
misterroot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Auto Tiico Reply with quote

I just got my 84 auto mated to a Tiico. Apparently when the tiico conversion is bought you specify auto or standard. It takes a special flexplate with longer torque converter bolts, adaptor plate and accelerator cable. You might try tiico.com for the parts. I got my tiico from a wrecked standard 84 Van. I got on the Yahoo Group called Tiico. and asked for info and the third reply was a guy wanting to swap his auto setup for a standard. Just a little more involved to install, but worth it.

Randy
67 Westy
71 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Wow, if it needs any special parts other than bolts, I'm out!! I already have all the manual trans parts, so having to buy a new flexplate would negate the good deal I got on my current Tiico setup. I figured I'd have to mess with the accelerator cable kickdown and such, but if a manual tiico setup won't bolt to an auto that's a big bummer for me.

If anybody else has insights please share them, I've tried to join the Tiico yahoo group but I can't get it to work for some reason.

-Rob
misterroot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get the Tiico group to work if you can. You might run acroos someone there that has what you need cheap or maybe a trade like I came across. Good Luck

Randy
67 Westy
71 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: