Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road modifications for your bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonzo1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

My intention was to run the Grabbers on my 70 camper.. but a set of 4 Hankooks were on Ebay for $286 Shipped.

That changed my mind pretty quick.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Gonz
What a long, strange trip it's been
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Gonzo1970 wrote:
My intention was to run the Grabbers on my 70 camper.. but a set of 4 Hankooks were on Ebay for $286 Shipped.

Dayum.... that was a good find, Gonzo. I paid more than twice that for mine.
I've read other postings here about the eBay tires, and they are not bad. And not old ones either.
I shoulda checked eBay. Crying or Very sad

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Gonzo1970 wrote:

Dayum.... that was a good find, Gonzo. I paid more than twice that for mine.
I've read other postings here about the eBay tires, and they are not bad. And not old ones either.
I shoulda checked eBay. Crying or Very sad

For 15's or 14's?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

The ones I bought are 14's, just like the ones in Gonzo's pic.

It just clicked in my head... I bought 5 tires, not 4. Still got ripped, though...
On the plus side, they do ride and handle great!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
The ones I bought are 14's, just like the ones in Gonzo's pic.

It just clicked in my head... I bought 5 tires, not 4. Still got ripped, though...
On the plus side, they do ride and handle great!

Depends, was your price for five mounted & balanced? Tire shops are easily charging $20-25 each for that.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Yes, they were mounted and balanced. Total came to just over $700 though. (I'm embarrassed to admit that.). But I checked all the larger tire retailers in the area, and most were trying to sell me car tires. Americas Tires finally found these for me.

Oh well. At least they'll last a few years the way I drive.

---WildIdea

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Total came to just over $700 though. (I'm embarrassed to admit that.).

Wow! I just had a nice set of 265/75R16 truck tires mounted and balanced for $620.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Thoughts?

I'm thinking I'd like to run a set of General Grabbers on my '78.

At the moment I've got 3 Bus rims sitting outside my garage. They all are pretty ugly and would need fixed up before use, plus I'd need to find a 4th.

I've also found a set of brand new VW 5x112 15 inch Passat steel that are take-offs for about $80. They'd need to have the hub openings opened up, but otherwise would look nice right away.

So neither set of rims is an immediate-use thing.

Which way would YOU go?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

I would probably go with the passat wheels. Way bigger tire selection
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Which way would YOU go?

I like to be able to keep the bus caps on the wheels, so I would keep the 14's
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I've also found a set of brand new VW 5x112 15 inch Passat steel that are take-offs for about $80. They'd need to have the hub openings opened up, but otherwise would look nice right away.

Which way would YOU go?

IMHO if you'll be getting new tires anyway, go with the Passat steelies for more/better tire options. I've got a set of those ready to go -- a 2-3/4" holesaw centers over lip of the the hub bore nicely to enlarge the opening, plus that size does have some center caps available to cover things if you want.

You'll need to get some 14MM "small ball" lug nuts to go with them, and then make sure you've got a 17MM lug wrench with you. Get them from Chris at T3Technique -- he's got teh best pricing on them that I've found, plus he's a VW guy who does a lot for the Vanagon community.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Which way would YOU go?

IMHO if you'll be getting new tires anyway, go with the Passat steelies for more/better tire options. I've got a set of those ready to go -- a 2-3/4" holesaw centers over lip of the the hub bore nicely to enlarge the opening, plus that size does have some center caps available to cover things if you want.

You'll need to get some 14MM "small ball" lug nuts to go with them, and then make sure you've got a 17MM lug wrench with you. Get them from Chris at T3Technique -- he's got teh best pricing on them that I've found, plus he's a VW guy who does a lot for the Vanagon community.

Since I'm currently running 17 inch New Beetle rims, I do have the lug nuts taken care of. And I got them from Chris!

There is some appeal of using the factory rims again, such as hub cap options. I have a couple of those white-spoked caps that came with the Bus, and it would be kind of cool to be able to use them again. (Along with another pair, eventually.)

But I have noticed that there seem to be less and less options for 14 inch tires over time.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Dude, 15's all the way Cool Or Ill have Stew come kick you in the nutz.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

I think this thread title could be changed to which tires should I run on my bus.

I'd run the 14" with the 27x8.5 14 grabbers, great tire and good price on it. All of your suspension travel available and not a big change to the engine/trans effort. If you want to look bigger there are tons of options but without modifications the 14" grabber should accomplish everything a bigger tire will.
215/75 15's on my friends bay were pretty great too but we managed to rub here and there, not a big problem though. Just decide what you are after and enjoy.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.j...iameter=17 Two good tires here.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Well, tires are certainly probably the biggest-difference off-road modification one could make!

If I get the newer rims, I'll probably go 205/75/R15 on the tires to get as narrow as I can.

I texted the seller last night and didn't yet get a response, I'll try calling today.

Honestly, I may just go with whatever way I can get a full set first!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Props to Roland. This photo is haunting me- in a good way.

I can't get it out of my mind. The stance, the angle, the location... you know how to make these busses look good!
Thanks!
James
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Jamo7 wrote:
Props to Roland. This photo is haunting me- in a good way.

I can't get it out of my mind. The stance, the angle, the location... you know how to make these busses look good!
Thanks!
James

X2 - i keep eyeballing a spare set of powdercoated steelies in my garage and remembering this image. damn that looks nice.
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Roland's instagram account is a good one. They crank out the bay window love!

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/439413681/rolands-bus-farm/?max_id=1418192078655749740
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Ives676 wrote:
Roland's instagram account is a good one. They crank out the bay window love!

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/439413681/rolands-bus-farm/?max_id=1418192078655749740

I don't have instagram, but just looked through that. Some pretty sweet pictures.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

215/75R15 BF GOODRICH amazingly quiet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Page 69 of 92

Jump to: