Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road modifications for your bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

If I felt it needed a battery door hinged on the rack bolts it would get one. Is there such a thing as bay window purists? If so I suggest not looking any further into this bus and apologize, as hurting them was not my intent. Yours truly the hacking hacker of hackville.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

ngl (not going to lie) my drivers side battery compartment is hacked up with a big old hole. I was thinking of doing a pulley system to raise and lower a spare battery without a complicated door majigger

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Now lifted on Wagens West front/rear lift kit. 215/75/15's.

Now the fronts don't rub at all on the sway bar, the turning radius is now super tight. I have longer throw shocks coming, but for now the rears have extenders on them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

🤘🏽🤘🏽👍🏼
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

looks the nuts!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Had a little time today and the weather held for a few hours. $1 feabay LEDs “daytime running lights” make decent perimeter lighting, especially for the cost Smile. Not really stealth but I think inconspicuous enough that won’t detract too much visually when off. Still planning one a few flood lights on the corners for after dark excursions. Think these little ones will do ok for camp lighting. Have on both sides, wired to be able to be switched on side or side or both.

Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Looking to change my diff, I will be looking at using my van more on dirt roads and sand, maybe some beaches, not much if any mud, will be running BFGoodrich AT's, looking to get to some more remote campsites in Western Australia

What're the thoughts on what would be more suitable/best, a true LSD like the ZF or a ATB like Quaife or Peloquin

Van is a 72 with a modified 2L and a 6 rib trans
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

hot damn that looks good. does turning the front end at speed feel squirrely at all?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
notchboy wrote:

hot damn that looks good. does turning the front end at speed feel squirrely at all?

Not at all. I have an HD sway bar anyways as well. Im sure that helps a lot. Bonus on my whole lift project. The turning radius is now amazing. The combo of the tire with the lift is perfect. Just went through all the front brake stuff. Next is ball joints and tierods.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Dude, that looks pretty sweet!

Stuart told me he can barely touch the ground when sitting in the open slider door. (I think that may be a slight exaggeration!)

I'm curious about a couple things.

What's it like in the wind, being taller?

Are the tires noisy?

I told Stuart yesterday that I had swapped back to stock tires (just flip-flopped with the set on the '73) last fall because I was towing the Thing and wanted to bump the RPMs, but I was also pleasantly surprised that the stock tires seemed much quieter than the General Grabbers that were on there. So they've been swapped ever since.

My front beam is pretty bad and needs replaced. So now I'm thinking about the best way to go about that. And whether that might include things like raise spindles or some other way to raise it. (Weld in adjusters, maybe?)

Hmmm...

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

I haven't really driven it in the wind. It's taken a lot to get it here. It still needs ball joints as the ones on it are shot. So any sway issues could be attributed to that.

The tires have noise, but not bad. That's like the biggest question people ask? To me its like a shot in the arm. Everyone asks does it hurt. Rolling Eyes Sure, a little. Off-road and AT tires make noise. They have a bigger tread. I don't mind it and since they are not mud swampers or some other BS, the noise is minimal. Look at some of my vids on youtube. Just changing the VS muffler to a stock one has made the ride lots quieter. I will be going back to the VS though.

As I said, I have no real performance data. It's all too new and costs so much, I've spread it out. Who said it here? This is a connoisseur/hobbyist bus?

Some real data.

This last brake overhaul -
Rebuild calipers $150
Rebuild FAG kits $25
Rebuild Vac can $225
Master, pads, rotors, soft lines $178
WagensWest Lift kit - $1661
Hankook DynaPro MT RT03 Off-Road Tire - 215/75R15 101Q - $556.78
4 steel 15" AUDI rims - $100
Machining them - $160
KYB Rear shocks - $60
Brake fluid - $12

It's still not 100% - Close but not dialed in till the ball joints/tie rods are done.

That's $3,127.78 in the last 3 months? Mostly just to raise it? This does not count labor done by Stuart or myself. Misilanious shit like blots, cleaner, paint, carne asada burritos.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
isaaccarrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Heres a look at the most recent modifications. Ej22 so no problem spinning these things no lift a little hammering of the front wheel wells and they fit. They are utv tires that are dot approved and have 10 ply sidewalls but it still feels lofty even with brand new suspension front and rear as well as upgraded swaybars front and rear. I plan on downsizing to the grabblers listed in this thread.Heres an overnight camping trip at sugar bowl

yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

I did about a hundred miles today on the Grabbers and they are a bit noisy but not terrible.

Also have a back dated exhaust and VS and it sounds so much better that the bungled and welded together stock leaking 78 system it had.

'78 Westy
Currently yellow and white "Sunny"
A few other air cooled VW and Porsches over the years
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

isaaccarrel wrote:

In automotive nomenclature, the words "stanced", "lifted" etc. are common.

I think we need a new term.

Stuffed!
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
isaaccarrel wrote:

Stuffed!

Like stuffed crust pizza...
...this looks delicious Smile
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
isaaccarrel wrote:

Stuffed!

Like stuffed crust pizza...
...this looks delicious Smile

This is freaking sweet. I can only dream of the days on the mountain if I would’ve had this rig when I was living in the valley. Powder days would’ve been AMAZING.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

VOLTWAGEN wrote:
Looking to change my diff, I will be looking at using my van more on dirt roads and sand, maybe some beaches, not much if any mud, will be running BFGoodrich AT's, looking to get to some more remote campsites in Western Australia

What're the thoughts on what would be more suitable/best, a true LSD like the ZF or a ATB like Quaife or Peloquin

my understanding is that a TBD, like a peloquin, will lose traction when a wheel lifts and that a true LSD is a much better option.
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

VOLTWAGEN wrote:

Have you considered a less expensive route of adding a steering brake?

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
VOLTWAGEN wrote:

my understanding is that a TBD, like a peloquin, will lose traction when a wheel lifts and that a true LSD is a much better option.

Yep, understand that, gut/heart says a true LSD, wallet says in this climate TBD or nothing, but it's only money, can't take it with me
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

klcarrie wrote:
VOLTWAGEN wrote:

Have you considered a less expensive route of adding a steering brake?

Have thought about it as well, just looking to see options before I put the new box in as this is the time to do it, would rather do it now than in the future
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Page 80 of 92

Jump to: