Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road modifications for your bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Heres a couple others. Use stock front wheel well arches to reproduce the vanagon open rear arch, and if needed run flares.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clyde was also a great example of that too.

Heres my fav:

Heres the user that has the grey bus:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=51466

(206) 841 7324
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Fair enough mate! I'm not a fan of cut rear guards, mine just have the inside edge rolled up away from tyre, 32" fit no worries. And you USA guys are lucky to be allowed to have tyres sticking out past the bodywork. Here it's illegal unless covered by a wheelarch flare.

Unfortunately had to butcher the dogleg and rear part of wheelarch up front.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Dr. Larmdank wrote:
Hey Shonandb, the offset on my wheels is et50 unfortunately. Running a 10mm spacer on rear.
Front track was widened like yours by the spindles. Et50 is no good. Wheel balance weights can touch balljoint area of top arms so I had to add a 6mm spacer. So yeah the front track is lots wider than rear right now.

Definitely think a numerically lower ET is better for clearance. I'd like to go to 30 or 25 maybe when I change down to 15" wheels.

If I was you I'd start cutting and welding, relocate jack point 2" rearward, chop out anywhere else that needs clearance and re fabricate. Bit of a job but works so much better with full travel and big tyres.

Would you have any ideas on how to widen rear track? I could space out the bearing housing from swing plate but that's going to mean custom cvs Shocked

Those tires look sweet!

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm not quite ready to cut and move the jack points yet so I'll experiment with tire size and rim offset to see what I can fit.

Regarding the rear, the fenders are the only thing stopping you from going wider. Trim them back and you can run any size adapters/spacers like the Jeep or Truck guys do. You could source a bolt on fender extension like a lot of the pickups have to cover the tires but not interfere with the tire travel and rotation.

Looks like this guy cut his rear fenders back a bit plus the raised spindles and spring plate extensions.

Note: The pic angle is wonky for those picky viewers who like to point things out so no need for a a few pages of discussion on why the Bus looks heavy in the back end.... the Bus was level with 2 people in the front seats and looked great in person. The camera man wasn't on his game that day!

or this

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Also.. these cheap muddies turned up Twisted Evil
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Hey Shonandb, the offset on my wheels is et50 unfortunately. Running a 10mm spacer on rear.
Front track was widened like yours by the spindles. Et50 is no good. Wheel balance weights can touch balljoint area of top arms so I had to add a 6mm spacer. So yeah the front track is lots wider than rear right now.

Definitely think a numerically lower ET is better for clearance. I'd like to go to 30 or 25 maybe when I change down to 15" wheels.

If I was you I'd start cutting and welding, relocate jack point 2" rearward, chop out anywhere else that needs clearance and re fabricate. Bit of a job but works so much better with full travel and big tyres.

Would you have any ideas on how to widen rear track? I could space out the bearing housing from swing plate but that's going to mean custom cvs Shocked
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Synergy Solutions wrote:
You just helped me catch my math error, adding a spacer SUBTRACTS offset, i was wrong.

Et33+ 5mm spacer = et28

My apologies.

Physically speaking, the spacer would reduce rub at full lock by moving the tire outward though. That is still correct.

The tires were rubbing on the outside of the tire at the front jack point so with the additional 0.5" width due to the raised spindles and the adapters, the combination pushes the tire out just far enough to rub. An ET37 rim without spacers may bring the tire back in far enough to clear or it may make the inside of the tire rub so I may need a thin spacer or just run 215/70/16 tires with the ET33 rims instead.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

You just helped me catch my math error, adding a spacer SUBTRACTS offset, i was wrong.

Et33+ 5mm spacer = et28

My apologies.

Physically speaking, the spacer would reduce rub at full lock by moving the tire outward though. That is still correct.

(206) 841 7324
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Synergy Solutions wrote:
Shonandb wrote:
notchboy wrote:
215/75/15 rub on an unaltered bus. With a 38 offset.

Thanks "notchboy".

I have the raised spindles so I think I'll put the 225/75/16 tires on the front with the ET 33 rims and see where they start rubbing and guesstimate how the 215/75/16 tires will fit by comparing overall diameter and slight offset differences between the ET 37 and ET 33 rims. I can go to 215/70/16 tires instead if needed to be able to use the ET 33 rims I already have.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but you can use 5mm spacers on your fronts to simulate a 38ET,

Et33 + 5mm = et38

If yours rub on the sway bar, like Notchboys did at full lock, a spacer will help

My 215/65/16 tires rub at tight turning radiuses using 5/8" adapters with ET40 Chrysler rims so I was thinking that the ET37 without spacers/adapters might fit more centrally but I'll have to test it.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Synergy Solutions wrote:
Shonandb wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Thanks "notchboy".

I have the raised spindles so I think I'll put the 225/75/16 tires on the front with the ET 33 rims and see where they start rubbing and guesstimate how the 215/75/16 tires will fit by comparing overall diameter and slight offset differences between the ET 37 and ET 33 rims. I can go to 215/70/16 tires instead if needed to be able to use the ET 33 rims I already have.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but you can use 5mm spacers on your fronts to simulate a 38ET,

Et33 + 5mm = et38

If yours rub on the sway bar, like Notchboys did at full lock, a spacer will help

Might, but keep in mind I have MT - thicker knobby ones as well. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Thanks "notchboy".

Et33 + 5mm = et38

(206) 841 7324
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Thanks "notchboy".

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Dr. Larmdank wrote:
Shonandb wrote:

Yes, Forest Service Roads or forest access roads. I've got Load E 225/75/16 on the back but just 215/65/16 on the front. Just installed raised spindles so looking for 215/75/16 for the front. I now have 12"/30cm of clearance underneath so starting to venture off road a

Nice! Not sure how common the 215/75r16 are. I'm running 215/85 on the front of mine. Have had to cut out a fair bit of the rear inside of wheel well and weld in new steel, relocate the jacking point rearwards and trim some of the wheel arch though. That's with 2.75" spindles.
Have also found that the down travel can go all the way to the bump stop with the rubber removed without binding the ball joints. Going to either cut down my bump rubber or remove and replace with something quite thin. Every bit of travel helps!

Just replaced a front wheel bearing last night. Make sure your speedo cable hole is sealed on the spindle end and the bearing cap end! Mine was full of mud and water, bearing toast. Should have learnt from the last time Rolling Eyes

Also if you're doing water crossings, sand or mud driving on these trails make sure you drill and tap the gearbox breather hole for a hose barb. Run an extended breather. Also learnt this the hard way haha

Thanks for the tips. What's the ET offset on your front rims. Stock is ET 37 or 38. I'm running ET 33 off a VW Tiguan but am wondering if 215/75/16 tires will rub. There is a set of Mercedes steel rims with ET 37 on Craigslist that may allow me to run the larger tires without mods.

Also need to make my belly rad scoop adjustable to gain another 3" clearance underneath..
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:

Yes, Forest Service Roads or forest access roads. I've got Load E 225/75/16 on the back but just 215/65/16 on the front. Just installed raised spindles so looking for 215/75/16 for the front. I now have 12"/30cm of clearance underneath so starting to venture off road a

Nice! Not sure how common the 215/75r16 are. I'm running 215/85 on the front of mine. Have had to cut out a fair bit of the rear inside of wheel well and weld in new steel, relocate the jacking point rearwards and trim some of the wheel arch though. That's with 2.75" spindles.
Have also found that the down travel can go all the way to the bump stop with the rubber removed without binding the ball joints. Going to either cut down my bump rubber or remove and replace with something quite thin. Every bit of travel helps!

Just replaced a front wheel bearing last night. Make sure your speedo cable hole is sealed on the spindle end and the bearing cap end! Mine was full of mud and water, bearing toast. Should have learnt from the last time Rolling Eyes

Also if you're doing water crossings, sand or mud driving on these trails make sure you drill and tap the gearbox breather hole for a hose barb. Run an extended breather. Also learnt this the hard way haha
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Earl Bay wrote:
Since this actually is the off road mods thread I had a look but there doesen't semm to be a dedicated "Bays off the beaten path" thread like the splits have.
Only the less specific ' in the wild' without really showing how one got there.
So before we clog this thread up with pics (not that I'd mind much but...) should we open a dedicated thread?
I still have some pics that haven't made it into a Pyrenees traverse trip report Rolling Eyes

Good idea Earl Bay. If you start a "Bays off the beaten path" thread, I'll contribute regularly and include videos and pics as we are out exploring almost every weekend.

Would love to read/see your "Pyrenees traverse trip report".
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Dr. Larmdank wrote:
Shonandb wrote:
Nice! I've been exploring our local FSRs but haven't tried any of the 4x4 trails yet.

Cool, is an FSR like a forestry road? Put some photos up!

Just went for our first drive in a couple months. Oil leaks, front wheel bearing noisy, brakes need adjusting.. the list goes on Laughing

New tyres first. Going to stick with the 215/85r16 on front and 235/85r16 rear but maybe change to a mud tyre.
Would like to downsize to 20x9.5 15" all around with a better offset wheel eventually. Need to widen my rear track also.

Yes, Forest Service Roads or forest access roads. I've got Load E 225/75/16 on the back but just 215/65/16 on the front. Just installed raised spindles so looking for 215/75/16 for the front. I now have 12"/30cm of clearance underneath so starting to venture off road a bit.

I'll try to take more pics as we go.

A couple recent pics I posted in on the other thread.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Synergy Solutions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Earl Bay wrote:
Since this actually is the off road mods thread I had a look but there doesen't semm to be a dedicated "Bays off the beaten path" thread like the splits have.
So before we clog this thread up with pics (not that I'd mind much but...) should we open a dedicated thread?
I still have some pics that haven't made it into a Pyrenees traverse trip report Rolling Eyes

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1384340#1384340

(206) 841 7324
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

[quote="VOLTWAGEN"]Where did you get the lifted spindles from, have looked in the past, but never found anywhere in AUS to get them

Hey mate I ordered then from Dubfab in the US. Cost a fortune with the exchange rate plus buying 2 pairs of spindles to make the lift spindles. Had to wait a while but eventually they showed up and they're pretty awesome Smile
Dr. Larmdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Nice! I've been exploring our local FSRs but haven't tried any of the 4x4 trails yet.

Cool, is an FSR like a forestry road? Put some photos up!

Just went for our first drive in a couple months. Oil leaks, front wheel bearing noisy, brakes need adjusting.. the list goes on Laughing

New tyres first. Going to stick with the 215/85r16 on front and 235/85r16 rear but maybe change to a mud tyre.
Would like to downsize to 20x9.5 15" all around with a better offset wheel eventually. Need to widen my rear track also.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 92

Jump to: