Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road modifications for your bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gubdonem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Theres a builder that made his own for a Baja Bug, look for him on Youtube as Doug Bug.

fastmc25 wrote:
http://www.highangledriveline.com/sandrails.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are the axles I'll use on my next 930 axle conversion. Very Happy

. if I recall they can reliably handle 30 degrees of angle... and have 930 flanges. They are pricey though
Shocked
They are like $600 each... but you'll never have a joint noise or failure... hopefully. ..

They are splined and will get longer/shorter with suspension travel...
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

Gubdonem wrote:
jokgel wrote:
How much you have on your offroad- bay?

Take a picture in the same fashion . Laughing

Is that the T2 Synchro Bus?

It is certainly a T2 syncro bus.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Skip back a few pages. He posted a link here to his build thread elesewhere. Very well done high quality build.

And it’s a TDI.

I will someday track him down, and buy this bus.

Someday.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Hmm I’m so tempted... (not)

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/1973-vw-bus-4x4-project/6749803645.html

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Hmm I’m so tempted... (not)

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/1973-vw-bus-4x4-project/6749803645.html
The guy should be paying someone to haul it off.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
abdalh121
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Does anyone have some pictures on a lift spindle? I thought of sending a pair for modication.

What I understand is that you use 2 spindles to make one?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

abdalh121 wrote:
Does anyone have some pictures on a lift spindle? I thought of sending a pair for modication.

What I understand is that you use 2 spindles to make one?

You know you can buy a tested and proven set from wagenswest? The danger in one off, is if the spindle goes (welds break etc) you can do some serious damage to the bus when it falls on the wheel, not to mention the danger if speed is a factor. Empi lift spindles where know for being garbage that did that if i remember right.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

WW spindles are great.
Empi spindles are bad.

Lift spindles next to some Thing spindles

Me after empi shit spindles

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Hey brian, your pads are due for replacement.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

You only need to change the pads once the pistons are 75% worn down.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

thought it was 50?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Brian wrote:

thought it was 50?

I had a customer who thought it was until the piston went right through the rotor and jammed sideways in the inner cast fins of the vented rotor locking up the wheel. Shocked

"Was it making any noise when you stopped in the last few months?"--- "Yeah..., maybe a little" Rolling Eyes Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Been wanting to put some new rims on my van for a while and increase the tyre size. Have just got my hands on some Merc 15x6.5's with a 37ET.

I am thinking of using a tyre with an approx dia of 29", can this fit on a stock Bay or do I need to use raised spindles on the front?

I do plan to use a modified 5 rib box that I recently picked up so that the revs will still be at a suitable level on the freeway. (close ratio 3rd & 4th)

R&P 4.57 (6rib) - currently has a 3 rib 5.38 in it, need to change it.
1st - 3.80
2nd - 2.06
3rd - 1.56
4th - 1.12

(3rd & 4th figures approx)

It should give me a cruising speed of 62 mph - 100 kmph at ~3700 rpm

It may be a little slow on take off though.

Picture for reference of current stance/look on standard rims.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Fronts will rub under full lock, and a tiny bit of rub at the back of the dogleg under compression (fast corners) or with a heavy loaded front seats (two passengers)

206-841-7324
[email protected]
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Fronts will rub under full lock, and a tiny bit of rub at the back of the dogleg under compression (fast corners) or with a heavy loaded front seats (two passengers)

Would that be due to the ET or the tyre size?

Picked them up today, 4x ET 37, I got given 1x ET 49 as a spare, no idea if it will fit but will keep an eye out for some more ET37’s to use as a spare.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

VOLTWAGEN wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Picked them up today, 4x ET 37, I got given 1x ET 49 as a spare, no idea if it will fit but will keep an eye out for some more ET37’s to use as a spare.

Nice choice. Thats what I have. Id say the rub is due to the tire size. If Id of looked harder for a 195 instead of a 215 Im sure Id have no rub at a stack height.

Your rims will need some work to fit right. The centers need to be cut and the lug holes need to be opened up a bit.

Center opened to 66.5 mm. Lug holes opened to take the 19mm hex head lug nut on stock Bay 14x1.5 studs. Before opening up lug holes - rim set up for 17mm lugs with 12x1.5 studs.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
VOLTWAGEN wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Nice choice. Thats what I have. Id say the rub is due to the tire size. If Id of looked harder for a 195 instead of a 215 Im sure Id have no rub at a stack height.

Your rims will need some work to fit right. The centers need to be cut and the lug holes need to be opened up a bit.

Center opened to 66.5 mm. Lug holes opened to take the 19mm hex head lug nut on stock Bay 14x1.5 studs. Before opening up lug holes - rim set up for 17mm lugs with 12x1.5 studs.

Cheers for the info, they have already been on a dub so the work has already been done, they currently have 205/75’s on them but in a poor condition so they will be getting replaced, while they are off I will get the rims blasted and powder coated.

You van looks good on them, nice to see my research was right re the ET
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

My new addition Ostrich wing 6

guystclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

This is my beast, stock height running General 27x8.50x14 Grabber AT2's.
The speedometer is 10 mph off, when I'm doing 55 mph the speedometer is at 65mph.
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

VOLTWAGEN wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

What vehicles are those wheels found on in the US?

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Page 75 of 92

Jump to: