Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasianBusBoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Hello all-

I am not sure what I am looking at after pulling this Type 4 from a 74 Westy. I was just about to disassemble it and noticed some cut pipes. Can someone help me identify what they are?

Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Those were injection ports from the smog pump.
Exhaust was circulated back into the combustion chamber thru those ports.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM

Last edited by KentABQ on Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Welcome!
Those were once part of the air injection/exhaust afterburner system.
If they are in your way 10mm x 1.0 hex drive pipe plugs, or valve adjuster screws do a good job of plugging the hole into the exhaust port down under the fins.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
JasianBusBoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and providing info on how to plug them up!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

I would be afraid they might break off if you attempted to remove them. Just remove the old tubing at the nut and braze to piece going into the head closed.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Turns out I’m working on this today. If they remove okay then you can buy plugs from [email protected]. If they don’t remove well then you’ll be as screwed as me
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Air injection, not exhaust. EGR is exhaust recirculation, which is different.

Warm those fittings up with propane heat for sixty seconds and they will come apart like magic. Put a wrench on them cold and you will cry tears
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Damn,
Looking at your pics. Seems like a model T engine. No offense but I started working on these about 50 years ago and times have changed
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Damn,
Looking at your pics. Seems like a model T engine. No offense but I started working on these about 50 years ago and times have changed

50 years ago, the newest Ford Model T was newer than some buses with T4 engines in them are now.....

Ford 1927-> 1973 = 46 years ..
bus 1973->2024 = 51 years.

Strange thoughts.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

trying to find a picture of one of these pipes not installed. i have a bus that ejected one of them and I can't find it, want to make something but I'm not sure how long to make it. can't guess with whta I have since theres a solid chance the threads are stripped out, so i can't guage it in place and I don't want to try to remove one of the other plugs that are installed, since they are all kludged, none are actually the og part.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

I recently fixed this problem for a customer. It involved removing the engine and upper cylinder tin.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Wait, are you actually trying to repair the air injection system? That was single-handedly the worst thing VW ever did to the Type 4 engine….

If you want to plug it, a M10x1.0 set screw works. That’s a great use for an old T4 valve adjuster screw…. I slather the upper threads in copper RTV. They’re in hot exhaust flow, but not combustion pressure. Gravity + some thread engagement + cleanly applied RTV should get you many many miles.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Here's a plug that popped out

Here's the plugs I made

It's a double plug. The m10X1.0 valve adjuster backed up by a pipe plug
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
JasianBusBoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

I see mention of M10 x 1MM to plug the holes. What is the best way of avoiding the screw from bottoming out? Is there an ideal length to use?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

When I installed the plugs they did bottom out. Then I installed the backup lock
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

Interesting question, I've never studied the hole that closely, yet they all seem to stop after going in a dozen(ish) turns, the threads might end before the edge of the port?, or maybe there's so much carbon built up in the threads it jams them there?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

If you really want to do the best job EMW sells aluminum plugs for these.
You tap to an oversize and thread them clear thru to where they protrude into the port.
Then you can die-grind the plug smooth/flush with the exhaust port wall and make sure the port flows nicely with no disturbance/turbulance.

What’s That Noise?!?
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifying cut piping on a Type 4 Engine Reply with quote

so on my motor in my other bus, I bought bolts from mcmaster, ran them in, then marked and cut the ends ot match the contour of the exhaust path. lots of work since they need to come back out for the sheetmetal, and i didnt realize how tihgt they would be with the intake but it worked, this was a FI motor. my current issue is on a different bus with a motor installed. unfortunatly it looks like the threads all got stripped out, since the stud i have is 50mm long and slips in, and looking at the photo there should actually be about 45mm of bolt past the surface of the head. measuring off hte picture you posted, its also 45mm so i guess I was right. im thinking i'll slather it in jb-weld and stick it back in, there is ZERO thread left, it just slips on in, must have had next to nothing holding it in place originally. I was going to make a fancy wedge peice on my lathe for it out of aluminum so the steel/aluminum combo didn't start to leak over time, but i guess i really have do actually do that now. nice that the threads are optional for me tho, as that is an odd size.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: