Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine installation - Fuel Injected
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

I am getting to the point where I will be putting the engine back in the bus in a couple days. I am just re-assembling powder coated engine tins, intake, etc...

My question is, what type of things should be put back on the engine before installation vs after to make the actual installation easier?

Example: is it easier to put the injectors/rails/hoses on before the engine goes in, or does that stuff hinder installation? Same question for alternator, etc..

Basically, how do I make this process easier on myself?

Thanks,
Nick
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Are you installing the engine and transaxle together? I hope so; it's so much easier. If so, leave the starter off, and carefully guide the heater control pods around the chassis as you go. I find loosening the 17mm transmission hanger mounts helps get the bellhousing ears into the hanger easier for the 15mm pointy-tipped bolts. Having a helper and an extra jack to raise/lower the powertrain really helps get those bolts aligned. Don't forget to tighten the 17's after.

I install everything except the coil and oil filler, putting tape over the oil fill pipe. The s-boot has to stay off anyway, to get the long starter bolt threaded into the 17mm nut.

The individual fuel injector hoses should be cut short enough that the injectors do not protrude past the tin. Make sure the fuel clamps on all hoses around the firewall/fuel pressure regulator are accessable with the engine installed later.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

The way we do it is a complete engine minus the oil filler plastic neck and of course the airbox and S duct mated to the tranny. Easier to get the tranny hanger bolts in without the starter yet.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Since I typically pull the engine by itself, I leave off the coil, the oil filler extension, and the left rear piece of tin.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Perfect. Thanks for the replies. It's going in today hopefully...
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

Is it a better idea to install the alternator while the engine is out, or just do it once I have the engine installed? It seems I have to get behind it either way once the engine is in to hook up the wiring.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

edhnb wrote:
Is it a better idea to install the alternator while the engine is out, or just do it once I have the engine installed? It seems I have to get behind it either way once the engine is in to hook up the wiring.

The alternator and its wiring harness can, and should, be installed with the engine out. I don't think you can install the alternator harness with the alternator installed in the car…

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

I thought about that after I posted and then went and found my wiring harness, so that is the plan.

Thanks Smile
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

edhnb wrote:
I thought about that after I posted and then went and found my wiring harness, so that is the plan.

Thanks Smile

No problem.

If you have a new alternator, make sure the magic smoke doesn't come out.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615013

If you reinstalling your old one, carry on.
Robbie
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
edhnb wrote:

The alternator and its wiring harness can, and should, be installed with the engine out. I don't think you can install the alternator harness with the alternator installed in the car…

Robbie

I’ve done it with the engine in. It’s not too bad. Heat exchangers were in, too. That being said, it’s WAY easier with the engine out and that’s how I’d do it. It’s not like having it in inhibits putting the engine back in.
edhnb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
edhnb wrote:

Thanks Smile

No problem.

If you have a new alternator, make sure the magic smoke doesn't come out.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=615013

If you reinstalling your old one, carry on.
Robbie

Yep. I read that post. It is a new rebuilt bosch. I'm making the gasket and making sure everything is protected as we speak. I'm also thinking about actually modifying the back cover tin to make more room for the nut that just about touches the edge. I'll post some pictures in that thread.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine installation - Fuel Injected Reply with quote

On my old T4, I used a step drill to make a 1" hole directly over the stud, and used a 1" rubber hole plug (like a grommet) to fill the hole. Still keeping the insides dry, but if I ever needed to swap an alternator on a trip, it would clear the backing plate.

Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: