Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

W. B. X-awst!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't fit up on a truck with a 2.1. For pricing, click on my ad link.

And yes, that's my lonely Syncro that has sat in that exact spot since we towed it up here almost three months ago. Luckily Ken Wilford threw a solar battery maintainer in there when I bought it from him, so that's been stuck in the window all this time (except when I borrowed it to put a little charge back in my truck battery). If I ever get caught up on all my other projects, I can finally dig into the Syncro. It runs fine but the clutch is shot. That engine will come out and get built into either a 2.4 or a turbo 2.2. Either way it's another new challenge.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool. I'll start saving Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some bad news for future production, I guess. I went to pick up two parts that I asked the ceramic coating shop in Santa Fe to redo, as the interior coating wasn't good. He's a good guy but is very busy with powder-coating items, and to switch to ceramic coating interrupts his normal work flow as it invloves some different procedures. He's also sorely understaffed. So he said he didn't want to do any more ceramic, as he's got so much powder business. So if I am to do anymore ceramic coated ones I'll have to find another jobber for that, and they are rare in my area. I don't want to ship the parts places, then ship them back, as it adds huge cost these days and it's very hard to have any quality control when you're dealing with someone in another state.

So I have to rethink my program. I know someone is going to suggest making them in stainless, and that's easy to say but you'll be waiting a long time as I don't have the capital to invest in that process right now, and even if I did the product would cost much much more as the raw materials are very costly. I think my prices are pretty damn high as it is. I'd like to work toward getting them down, not raising them further. The only way to make SS work at a reasonable price is to have a lot of automation in building them and economies of scale to offset the materials cost.

I can certainly make copies for anyone in mild steel and you can deal with the treatment as you see fit; paint them, oil them or have them coated locally. Other than that, I'll be looking into getting someone to partner with to get the tubes bent mechanically, and also complete the welding assembly or ship prebent tubes back to me for final assembly. I do like to have a hand in that as it's important to me that they fit right.

So, once again, "stay tuned". I'm still working on making this product available to whoever wants it. I love driving my van with this system on. It does add a lot of power and sounds too sweet for words.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about zinc or cad plating ? zinc will probably burn away faster but is cad more durable ?
I'd suggest flame spraying but you'd never coat the inside which you've mentioned will rust faster.

I think I'd be ok welding up a set of tubes myself but I'd probably use my truck as a jig to tac it all together...alignment marks would speed that up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on this system?

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming out very soon built completely in stainless, courtesy of RMW. Watch my ad, link below, for the latest on any of my stuff, and at RMW for when we roll this out. I will bump this thread with an announcement as well.

As always it will be an all-inclusive kit, we will announce details and pricing when it is available. In the meantime please everybody have patience and hold your questions.

Oh, and by the way, I should have updated this thread before but I redesigned the system long ago to solve the various fitment problems, and make it easier to install and smaller to ship. So the system we will be selling is universal, it will fit any wbx, 1.9, 2.1 or Syncro.

There are already about a dozen of the universal system in circulation on all wbx variants in vans and trucks that I have hand-built in mild steel, but by RMW making them in small production runs the demand can be better met. And everyone who has asked for a stainless version will finally get their wish.

But naturally, after fielding requests to make the system in stainless for three years, and finally getting the wheels turning to do so, I began getting requests to have it in mild steel. This sure is a tough crowd. There will not be a mild steel version.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: