Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The push against entropy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Dang!
Evil or Very Mad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Car parks are dangerous.

Nicholas

Damn does it hurt as bad as it looks ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Dang!
:evil:

Car parks are dangerous.

Nicholas

My oh my! as my grand-daughter would say.

Like me, Nicholas, you are now entitled to one of those Forrest Gump T-shirts that say, Sh*t happens.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
you are now entitled to one of those Forrest Gump T-shirts that say, Sh*t happens.

Indeed it does.
I had my previous daily drive patched up for all the scratches on the front and rear bumper that appeared over 15 year of running it, only to have the car written off in a collision with a fox outside Canberra one night. The poor animal took out the front radiators, beam and bumper making the old car uneconomical to repair.
I replaced that with a new Passat wagon which, within days of buying, some vandal "keyed" all over the tailgate. Once that was repaired and looking pristine once again, whilst loading one of my guitar amps I dropped it onto bumper and left a noticeable chip in the plastic. No longer pristine.

So there I was with the prize car negotiating a tight spot in the car park downstairs and I was edging as far away as I could from the big SUVs with wide swinging doors ....and I scrapped the pillar instead. Good intention... poor result.

Thank goodness this one is insured. I already have a claim number organised. It will be fixed in a few weeks by the guy who sprayed it in the first place. There is no panel damage. Just the paint. Of course, with a Ghia there isn't many lines into which one can feather the paint that could make the repair invisible. It may mean the entire rear of the car will be resprayed. Small scratch big effort.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Ouch! But you can't wrap them iphone in cotton wool. There meant to be driven and that's the risk, but it doesn't make that first one feel any better. Particularly when it was self inflicted...... Very Happy

Not quite the same but within a week of plucking up my Polo GTI recently, it had a rub on the front bumper. Doesn't matter, it's just a car at the end of the day! Then my daughter put some gutter rash on the wheels, "park by sound".
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Of course, with a Ghia there isn't many lines into which one can feather the paint that could make the repair invisible. It may mean the entire rear of the car will be resprayed.
True that; a few years ago repair of rear-end collision damage called for me to strip my Ghia from the doors back, including separating the convertible top from the body. Fortunately the perpetrator's insurance covered panel beating and painting by http://www.karosserie.com/index.htm, a top-notch local shop that I could never have otherwise afforded. I trust your Ghia will be returned to its full photogenic glory. Wink
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

So I've had the car off the road for several weeks dealing with this tiny scratch that's turned into a minor disaster. Firstly the cabriolet roof had to be removed off the rear deck needing a few weeks of waiting to find a gap in the motor trimmer's schedule. Then of course the rusting bumpers had to come off so they could be re-chromed properly. I had the word today these are done and I can travel down to Queanbeyan and get them and that great news for me as far as timing all this goes.

Also later in the day I hear from Chris that he's well into the spray job except he's having all sorts of bother getting the feathering along the door to look right. He called in a favour from a buddy late in the afternoon and that sorted the problem out. It seems there are methods and tricks the master painters know but when to apply them is the magic

So late this evening I get some shots from inside the spray booth

Lots of care with masking it. I can't see from the photos if there are any colour problems but the main thing is it looks good and that scratch is no longer there.

I'm so glad I have a decent panel guy and a good insurance company.

Nicholas
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
... Small scratch big effort.

Nicholas

Oh Boy - you certainly weren't joking when you said that! Shocked

It sure is looking great so far, though.
That really is a beautiful color (or is it "colour" where you live?) you've chosen for your Ghia.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

I figured I should actually finish this car, which would include a glovebox perhaps ?
This is a RHD Repro made of fibreglass where I've painted it with plastic primer and cardboard paint after cutting out a hole for a 12Volt socket.

The socket takes up little room inside the compartment

but fills only a small amount of the void behind the dash between the radio

This will be used to power up a GPS and the smart phone or both. Squeezing the glove compartment into place I've managed to bend the tongue for the lock and now the cover is jammed shut. I'll have work out how to open it once more to get to bending the tongue so it works again.

Nicholas
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

So some more details to finalise this project.
I had to cut up the RHD version of John Copellos reproduction dash trim

But first I needed to smooth the rough edges with a 500 /800/ 1200/ wet sequence of sand paper. And then cut the sections between the radio and glovebox to fit. The mitre box and hack saw combination worked a treat.

used a double sided tape to mount the trims. To remove them later , all I need is a thread between the trim and adhesive material

Finally I can close off the trunk with the addition of the trunkliner

After this I can say the car is finished. It took several years, but finally it is done.

Nichola
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Let me be the first to congratulate you, Nicholas, and to thank you for the inspiration and example you provided for me. When I first joined the Samba, I saved your thread on my desktop for quick access and I have been following your travails ever since.

I had to look up "entropy", but even that was educational.

Thanks and all the best.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

December 2007 start date. Not bad Very Happy
This is a thread people will be looking back at for a long time to come. All your detail work shows, Its one of the nicest ghias on the planet, you should be proud.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

It looks as though you've got a quality repair of your scrape.
The car looks absolutely gorgeous, thanks so much for the thread which, as the others have mentioned, has been an inspiration to many of us!

Happy driving!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,
I'm pretty pleased with it now the job is completed. I'm in the process of giving it a big clean up and polish because the Club Vee Dub VW Nationals are on next Sunday. I plan to enter it in one of the Ghia Categories. It might be a bit of fun since I've never before entered a car in any kind of show.

Future appearances are likely to be in an occasional photo shot showing off some Australian scenery. I'll be trying to out do John in that regard Laughing

Nicholas
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

I took the car to the VW nationals today and it received much scrutiny from intertested individuals with many favorites comments

These photos from Undis Kanepe.
Nicholas
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I took the car to the VW nationals today and it received much scrutiny from intertested individuals with many favorites comments

These photos from Undis Kanepe.
Nicholas

He said he was hanging about waiting for you to return...you were out networking I expect. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

I wasn't just going to sit around admiring people admiring my car. There was a lot to admire myself. I spent the day scrutinizing the other cars and making favorable comments about them. There was a barn door bus that is an outstanding piece of work Very Happy. I left the networking to the Ghia. It did well Laughing
Nicholas
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

It was great seeing the car in person yesterday. Top job Nicholas you should be proud, not that many cars there of your standard. Look forward to meeting up for some ghia cruises in the coming months
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

For a while now I've noticed the odour of petrol fumes when I filled up the car. I usually prefer to fill right up to the top and the odour was always more intense when the tank was full. So, I adopted a change of habit and for several months ran the tank with a maximum of only 10 litres. This brought a noticeable improvement. Clearly there is a problem with how the tank seals and the obvious culprit seemed to be the mechanical fuel sender.

Pictured above is the VDO unit the car came with. It has a rubber boot that has perished over 51 years. I kinda knew that would be the case, so, when I was in Herssisch Olderdorf last month, I picked up another unit at the H.O. swap meet.

This one is from MAGURA, and has the identical part number to the VDO unit. 113 919 015. However it is quite different in the way the vapour seal is achieved. The MAGURA unit depends on an O ring and not a boot like the VDO.
The back of the units is a little different accordingly. VDO on the left, MAGURA on the right. There's only one "port" in the MAGURA that can allow vapour to pass and that's the one protected by the greased O ring.

So I pulled apart the MAGURA unit and replaced the O ring with a new one and re assembled with a nice dollop of lithium grease around the O ring and the short arm.

Here they are both side by side for comparison. We note the MAGURA has an aluminium float compared with the VDO plastic. The aluminium would make more noise when it bangs on the bottom of an empty fuel tank. That might be something to listen out for. ( or not )

Tomorrow I'll get a can of fuel and have that in the car with me when I take it for a run. When it goes empty I can calibrate the "Empty" mark (the one below the "R" mark) by adjusting the knob on the back of the fuel gauge. The fuel can will get me going again and a fill up at the next gas station will reveal if this all works to solving the problem.

Nicholas
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Nice fix. 50 year old rubber always seems to bite the dust, eventually. Mine did the same. I was not aware the Magera would work with VDO gauge. It looks like a much better sealing system. I purchased the VDO reproduction piece from Wolfsburg West. It has worked flawlessly since I put it in place. No fumes.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Angus Dowrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Nice to see the car back on the road after its scrape! I've had the first blemish on mine as well. A couple of days ago the neighbours kids were on their scooters and one crashed into the front. Some small scratches like stone chips on the underside of the nose. These are small enough its probably better to just do a little brush touch-up, as otherwise its a major exercise like yours!

I'm interested in the fuel sender issue as well. I have the original VDO mechanical gauge, which is not great, kind of a go/no-go gauge. It tells you if you have fuel or not, but not how much. i get a slight smell if the tank is filled right up also, I may need to look into the replacement units Darrel mentions to fix both problems.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: