Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The push against entropy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Congrats on the award, very well deserved. I only hope my 66 coupe will turn out half as nice as your ‘vert, if it does I’ll be overjoyed! Cheers.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
alansvwTwinCab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Nicholas, I was fitting my HEMCO retractable belts tonight and I noticed that your belt shown in photo on the left is the right side unit. They have an LH and RH stamped on the code. By switching them over it will show the smooth covered side not the rear of the retractable unit as in photo. Anyway I think thats correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeLee57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Great car to begin with. Im right behind you with my 70. Don't forget the powder coating option of the underside pieces. I shoot dozens of colors, and am work out with black also. I'll shoot anything you have dirt cheap, or free if its stripped from all paints. [email protected]
The Ghia verts can stick together with help.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

alansvwTwinCab wrote:
Nicholas, I was fitting my HEMCO retractable belts tonight and I noticed that your belt shown in photo on the left is the right side unit. They have an LH and RH stamped on the code. By switching them over it will show the smooth covered side not the rear of the retractable unit as in photo. Anyway I think thats correct.

Hi Alan,
Yep you got me there. Embarassed I forgot all about having to swap the left with the right to make the old brackets work. When the new brackets got handed over by your son, Nicholas, I was so keen to get them installed that I simply forgot how they are asymmetric, although, I did look at them and wonder if they could face the other way and be more tucked in. It turns out you are correct and I'll have to reverse my set.

But that will have to wait since I'm off to New Zealand for a 6 month contract with Rocket Lab and there won't be time for Ghia matters.... unless I catch up with Chris and his '68 Laughing

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:

...But that will have to wait since I'm off to New Zealand for a 6 month contract with Rocket Lab and there won't be time for Ghia matters.... unless I catch up with Chris and his '68 Laughing

Nicholas

Blimey you still working?? Thought you'd taken to only working on your cars. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

MikeLee57 wrote:
Great car to begin with. Im right behind you with my 70. Don't forget the powder coating option of the underside pieces. I shoot dozens of colors, and am work out with black also. I'll shoot anything you have dirt cheap, or free if its stripped from all paints. [email protected]
The Ghia verts can stick together with help.

Hi Mike
Thanks for your offer but I'm not sure if you meant this for me. My Ghia is done and in Australia, but you're in the US. You might have meant to post this comment in another thread perhaps?

Nicholas
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
sputnick60 wrote:

...But that will have to wait since I'm off to New Zealand for a 6 month contract with Rocket Lab and there won't be time for Ghia matters.... unless I catch up with Chris and his '68 Laughing

Nicholas

Blimey you still working?? Thought you'd taken to only working on your cars. Wink

Ha ha! Who wouldn't take a paid offer to play with rockets and satellites for a time. It trumps anything with pistons for both horsepower and speed. Shocked
Nicholas
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
[

But that will have to wait since I'm off to New Zealand for a 6 month contract with Rocket Lab and there won't be time for Ghia matters.... unless I catch up with Chris and his '68 :lol:

Nicholas

You'll always be welcome here, Nicholas.

Chris M
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

I stumbled on photos of my Ghia from a time before I purchased it.

Samba member "Highroof Cooper" started a thread years ago about the youngest Ghia and has visited only 4 times. Samba member "///Mink" outed him as the same person "kcooper", who started a similar thread a few years before that concerning the same "74 Ghia. It is BTW against forum rules to have multiple log-ins, but both versions of "cooper" hail from Albuerqueque NM. Hmmm very interesting (channelling Arte Johnson).

I was curious to see this allegedly last one standing '74 so I had a look the gallery of "kcooper" and there, along with the red '74 in question and the Checkered Highroof Split Bus, I see my '66 photographed on the day Mr K Cooper picked her up. In the captions he writes....
"One owner vert came my way. Sweet all original car totally rust free. garage kept beauty. all papers. 90K miles on org engine. owner: mark of clubVdub albuquerque."

This is consistent with the information given bysamba member vwmark, the person who sold me the car. I received a couple of these same photos during preliminary negotiations, but not all of them. This interests me in that this corroborates claims of it being a NM delivery and that I'm the third owner with vwmark obtaining it from the original owner. This is further supported in the original service booklet that came with the car and the 90K on the original speedo in my possession.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's also a thread from vwmark where he's testing the water on a decent price.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160335
Not what I paid Cool

Nicholas
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

That is very cool! The top stows almost flush with the body. Odd, as if there's no top padding Think BTW, what'd you do with that beautiful LHD dash pad? I know someone who'd love to buy one like that Cool !
sputnick60 wrote:
I stumbled on photos of my Ghia from a time before I purchased it.

I see in this photo what appears to be a proper trim piece at the base of the top under the back window. I'm trying to find a close up photo of what this original trim piece looks like. Mine doesnt have one Confused
sputnick60 wrote:

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Kent, If you are keen to see photos of that trim just browse through my gallery because I’ve posted quite a lot of detail about the roof.
In this tread there’s some details back on the bottom of page 10. There’s also the last part of my Aussie road trip thread after I crashed into a kangaroo. To fix everything I had to take the roof off for the second time. I have some good close up details you might like.

As for the dash. Too late. It went to a happy home long ago.

Finally, the roof in that car was somewhat trashed back then. The rear window was blown out and most of the padding had fallen out. That’s why it appears folded back to something almost flat. Without the back window it can fold back further than normal.

Nicholas
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Nicholas. I'll definitely check your gallery and other thread.

-Kent

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Hello Nicholas,

Your thread is like an annuity, it just keep giving and giving!

Quick question about your antenna placement. I do realize that antennae were originally a dealer placed option so there is a variation on the exact location. I have also seen both the German link that you posted in the Antenna Placement thread, which differs from other sets of measurements that I have found, such as those given in the instructions from Hirschmann for a Ghia, as well as personal notations from other cars (Thank you rcooled).

I see that you referenced the KGPR template, which unfortunately is no longer active, but since your antenna placement looks so good I figured that I would ask if perhaps you might still have it somewhere. I have also emailed KGPR so if they get back to me I will update it in the Antenna Placement thread. Thanks again!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

RCTScott wrote:
Your thread is like an annuity, it just keep giving and giving!Scott

I'm happy its been useful, Very Happy

RCTScott wrote:
Quick question about your antenna placement.Scott

I used the German placement guide which had unambiguous metric dimensions. I recall the-now-absent-KGPR-template didn't carry dimensions and thus depended printing to the correct size. Not being able to guarantee that is the reason I elected it less preferable.

Similar to the KGPR template and on the Samba, is a template from a Blaupunkt installation guide.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/sapphire_i_kg_8_62.php
I wonder if the KGPR templet was derived from that?

The antenna threads are somewhat devalued now, with those broken links. Maybe it's time for updates pointing to information resident on the unbreakable Samba site.

Nicholas.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Neglect is not permitted in my garage and my Ghia had been sitting stationary far too long. International borders are closed on account of Covid preventing my ability to return to Australia in the near term. So as a diligent custodian of this fine work, I delegated the task of exercising this machine to my trusted friend Jane Caldwell who took it on a brief road trip to the central coast. Even in the middle of winter it was nice to have the girls enjoy themselves with the top down.

Nicholas

Last edited by sputnick60 on Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

That's a LOT of trust Cool! Must be painful to be away from such a beauty!

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
That's a LOT of trust Cool! Must be painful to be away from such a beauty!

Actually, for the first part of the drive Jane had me on a WhatsApp video call with the phone mounted on the dash so we could talk and I could see out. It was lovely seeing familiar streets and listening to the purr of that engine. I was a virtual passenger. Very unusual but a lot of fun.

Nicholas
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
That's a LOT of trust 8)! Must be painful to be away from such a beauty!

Actually, for the first part of the drive Jane had me on a WhatsApp video call with the phone mounted on the dash so we could talk and I could see out. It was lovely seeing familiar streets and listening to the purr of that engine. I was a virtual passenger. Very unusual but a lot of fun.

Nicholas

I sense withdrawal symptoms, Nicholas.

I've met the deadline with my latest writing project, so some outing in a Ghia this weekend is on. Real, as opposed to virtual.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

Sometimes you just have to pounce on stuff appearing on the market...
Look at these.... Some RHD floor mats. Original and in reasonably good condition.

I'll get them cleaned up and see if they can be recoloured to suit my car..

Nicholas
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The push against entropy Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Sometimes you just have to pounce on stuff appearing on the market...
Look at these.... Some RHD floor mats. Original and in reasonably good condition.

I'll get them cleaned up and see if they can be recoloured to suit my car..

Nicholas

Nice score.
I think the ones Luis sells are painted.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: