Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suby Conversion guys Question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: VAnagon guy learns Subaru . Reply with quote

So off to Subaru I went , 2 days later and they had the vacuum valve in for me.
So I installed it in a remote location and no more CEL. I am not sure if it is possible ,but it seems to run a little better ,a little less stumbly and actually seems to pull a little better .
Am I imagining things ?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: VAnagon guy learns Subaru . Reply with quote

So off to Subaru I went , 2 days later and they had the vacuum valve in for me.
So I installed it in a remote location and no more CEL. I am not sure if it is possible ,but it seems to run a little better ,a little less stumbly and actually seems to pull a little better .
Am I imagining things ?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I am fluent on reading 2.2 engine codes ,I was tired of going the routine of lifting the rear seat and hooking the connectors together and then undoing them later.
Since I have removed my rear heater ,I had a set of wires setting unused from the front to the rear. So I know can control my CEL from the drivers seat.
It was about a hours job in total. I took the plug from the dash switch and pulled the hot wire form the plug, I then pulled the the 3rd position wire from the switch and put in the removed power position and insulated the now removed wire,which I will use for a future project as a fused wire for accessories.
I then went to the ECU and the green and black plug plugs . There is a common black and green plug which supplies ground to the separate green and black plug. I hooked the 3rd position wire from the switch to the common and the 1st position switch to the green and the 2nd position switch to the black .
Not something I use all the time, but I don't use my spare tire all the time and wouldn't leave home without it either .
All in all a simple project was is reversible and worth the effort.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice idea for folks who have removed their rear heater. In my case, I have OBDII and a Bluetooth dongle, which I read using Torque Pro on a tablet or phone - but your solution is much simpler!

How did you run your CEL light from ECU? Any existing wiring to steal from, or ran new wiring to back of dash?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a separate wire and tied it into the OXS location with a Small Car overlay .
The Small Car overlay is OK ,but not as crisp as the OE printing. I maj tempted to take it back out and only use the CEL portion and the OE portion on top .
I don't like pulling my gauge cluster apart any more than I have to .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Check engine light I used an unused grey / white striped wire that goes from the black box in the engine bay to up under the instrument panel that is in the later vans (mine is a 90). When I did my harness I just ended the wire from the ECU in the black box so it could plug into this unused wire. Then spliced the other end into the cluster to run the check engine LED.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will a 2.2 and a 2.5 AFM interchange. Will one work better or worse ?
Samba member # 14980
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Suby Conversion guys Question Reply with quote

This is the best place I could find to post this question. If you can send me somewhere with better info please.

I have a 2.2 (89 I think ) . I want to find a Manual Trans ECU to repalce my Auto Trans ECU I have. I have picked up a 94 AT ECU that I would like to try. The wiring plugs to be identical, I just don't know how interchangable these ECU's are.
If they are yellow are they interchangeable or is there more to it? I am chasing the illuisive dying at stop signs sporadically. It is even more annoying when doing off road low speed manuevers, Luckily with the Diesel stater it always fires right back up. I have chased almost all of the demons out of this conversions and am climbing up the other side.
Any help is appreciated.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Suby Conversion guys Question Reply with quote

Post your question about interchangeability of ECUs on the subaruvanagon yahoo site with the engine year,MT or AT and ECU ID numbers. Maybe your IACV needs cleaning (see youTube videos) regarding the stalling.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Suby Conversion guys Question Reply with quote

I went to subaru with this exact question.
They told me at the parts counter that the ecu for both engines had the same part no and therefore would be identical and fully interchangeable.
I asked this Q while chasing the "stall at lights syndrome" that every other suby conversion seems to have.
After a lot of tail chasing I finally came to blame my IAC. I sprayed the sh*t out of it while engine running w carb cleaner. This literally stopped the stalling for 3 months. From stalling at every light to not at all.
When the stalling resumed I swapped an IAC from a junked suby into my engine and the stalling stopped again. ( a new IAC is like 2-300$)
Try cleaning your IAC by connecting the little straw from the carb cleaner can to the IAC hose and spraying while the motor runs. Vary the RPM so you know the IAC is in motion while the cleaner is passing through.
This might help. Sure made a diff for me and boy am I glad to not be starting up at every stop light in the desert.

Wish you the best.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Suby Conversion guys Question Reply with quote

Do you get any error codes when it stalls? I had an intermittent stall issue when coming to a stop that would throw the IAC malfunction code. I cleaned the IAC several times with no effect. Finally I read somewhere that this can be caused by a floating neutral position switch. I grounded the NPS wire to the ECU and have not had the stall of IAC code since.

This was for my '98 2.2
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Suby Conversion guys Question Reply with quote

If you have an early EJ22, the automatic and manual ECUs are the same. It is switched between auto or manual mode by grounding the wire from connector A20 "Grounded for AT mode, open for MT mode." Apparently, for some folks it doesn't matter what mode their ECU is in--but, for others, grounding this wire can cure idle problems. However, stalling is most often an issue with a missing or non-functional speed sensor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Suby Conversion guys Question Reply with quote

'90 and '91 ECUs aren't the same, there are manual and auto versions.
Google search the part number on your ecu to try to identify the year. '89 subaru didn't have a ej22.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Suby Conversion guys Question Reply with quote

Are you getting any codes? Vss installed? Depending on year you ground a pin to diferientiate between MT and AT. Could also be neutral switch code 51 I think. How is your idle? On cold start around 1500 then down as it warms up.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Suby Conversion guys Question Reply with quote

Mario

Would you know the correct PN for a manual ECU? 90 - 94. I've searched and it seems you can get there with a part #, but trying to go the
other way is difficult.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Suby Conversion guys Question Reply with quote

I don't have the ecu compatibility file any longer as I have been out of the subaruvanagon yahoo group for years.
I know that the '90 & '91 ECU, IAC and MAF are specific to those years and drivetrain types though.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Suby Conversion guys Question Reply with quote

Quote:

Would you know the correct PN for a manual ECU? 90 - 94. I've searched and it seems you can get there with a part #, but trying to go the
other way is difficult.

Here are a few ECU part numbers for years 93-96:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_24/engine_electronic/relay_and_sensor_engine/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: