Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gallery comments and rating
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant wrote:
EverettB wrote:
The benefit would be the ability to see which photos are top rated, if desired.

Is there a 'sort by' feature?

In each category, there are sorting boxes at the bottom of each category page.

You can use the search screen to sort by rating too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents, I see no need for it, but if Everett wants to do it so be it. I've always just PM'd the poster of the pic if I had a Q or comment about it like mentioned above(or back 1 page) & if I really like the pic I just save it in my computer. As for how popular, special, great, beautiful or whatever a certain picture is, it can be determained by the number of views. All that really matters to me is the igsistance of this site and everyone on it, so here is where I thank EverettB & everyone else involved in keeping this site alive.

THANK YOU ALL! & Happy New Year to TS Logo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tlaama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ability to make a comment on a gallery picture is a great idea. There are plenty of people ,like me ,that would make a quick comment or ask a questiion while looking a someones gallery pic while not interested in starting a thread or bugging the poster with a PM about the pic.

Lots of times I look at a gallery pic and have a follow up question or comment. I am not going to start a thread about a comment that comes to mind as I look at a pic, ,but to be able to make a comment or ask a question would be fun.

Plus there are a ton of lurkers that might break the ice and get involved on an innocent comment on a pic than getting involved in a thread.

Bottom line is all the debating won't answer whether it would be a valuable additition or not. You have to try it.

I agree with hazeguy on the ratings. Not that useful. What are we rating and on what scale?

If it is too much hassle for Everett or not worth the cost involved then so be it. I would use it , and alot more than the threads. Tom
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tlaama wrote:
Bottom line is all the debating won't answer whether it would be a valuable additition or not. You have to try it.

Yeah, This is true & do have to agree, but only if it's not a hassel to do as mentioned by some of us Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as simple as just turning it on.

Here's why I don't think it will work very well:
1. Maintenance nightmare - bad comments, etc.
2. No one will check their photos for comments. I know I am not going to go back and search my photos for comments. The alternative would be to email the poster if a new comment is posted... this could be investigated. Then we get to the point where should we notify anyone who has commented on a particular photo whenever something is added to the string of comments? Wait... the forums already have that capability for every thread so why not just start a thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everett,
Your #1 reason is why I figured it would be a pain in the butt. I can comments like "boy, you car looks like sh*t painted that colour. Why would you do such a thing" or "F**k yea!, your F**king car is F**king sweet" Laughing Laughing Whats the rating on this site anyway, "G", "PG" or PG-13 Think
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagebus.com had the ability to comment on gallery images. I dont think it was all that useful.
Grant
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that its happening... I don't see it lasting long. Confused Crying or Very sad
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
EverettB wrote:
The gallery also has a rating feature, which I also have turned off but I have considered turning that on and even rewrote it last month so it worked. Opinions?

I am highly skeptical on the commenting...

opinions:
what is the point of rating a pic, to see if someone thinks your pic is cool? yawn. i really don't see the point of rating a pic. do we win a prize if we have the highest amount of overall points at the end of the year? if you like someone's pic, send them an email and then save it in your "favorite photos" section of your control panel so you can find it again. it means a lot more to me when i receive a pm about a pic than seeing a little number next to it will.

NO on the comments. i can see that getting totally out of control and will clog up a lot of space in the gallery pages.

I feel the same way Jon...

And I had some pics posted on a site once that allowed comments and it turned into a clusterfest real quick. That just entices some people to leave negative/insulting comments. At least if some one wants to drag a pic in the rants and bag on it, then it can be monitored/chopped/hacked/commented on some more and REMOVED easily LOL
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the ratings. Nice and simple.

I agree to leave the comments off. It would turn into myspace type bullshit.
Slowlow Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee. wrote:

X2, comments would be sort of cool... but it would turn into a mess Im sure.
dms
Fred G. Sanford

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
vintagebus.com had the ability to comment on gallery images. I dont think it was all that useful.
I remember this on vintage bus.com and there were some nice comments , then there was some crap also posted and it kind of ruined gallery .
The picture rating sounds neat , but I dont think I would ever check my pics for ratings either .
The direct link for the forums is great , and simplifies things alot especially for newbees that are getting the hang of posting a pic into the forums .
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if this is not the best place to "rant" about this, but it is a gallery comment of sorts.
i completely despise pics like this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=408822
simply titled "for forum" or "for forums". for what forum? what is the pic of? there is no description of anything. are we supposed to guess what forum it is for, or what thread it is for?
my new policy is that any pic i see that simply says "for forum" gets a 1 rating.

(i had to edit my link, because the original one i posted had been updated with actual information. i mean seriously, what the hell is in that pic?)

Last edited by hazetguy on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
sorry if this is not the best place to "rant" about this, but it is a gallery comment of sorts.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=407071
simply titled "for forum" or "for forums". for what forum? what is the pic of? there is no description of anything. are we supposed to guess what forum it is for, or what thread it is for?
my new policy is that any pic i see that simply says "for forum" gets a 1 rating.

Uh... paint and body forum???

Dont'cha know Jon... that is the latest thing to surpass using rustoleum to paint your ride with! Razz
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's not even paint, it is the spray version of plasti-dip.
besides, it was the first example i saw on the first new page at that time. there are plenty more i could have chosen from.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

Yes, I hate that too. Maybe I will start emailing them telling them to edit it so it is descriptive.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee. wrote:

Bingo! 2X

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Slowlow Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

Yes, I hate that too. Maybe I will start emailing them telling them to edit it so it is descriptive.

Sounds good Ev., I will be sure to describe mine better in the future too! Embarassed
bullethead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowlow wrote:
EverettB wrote:
hazetguy wrote:

Sounds good Ev., I will be sure to describe mine better in the future too! Embarassed

Agreed on all points...
No to comments in Galleries for all the reasons already discussed. If you have info or a question about a photo, a nice message to the poster should work fine.
For a photo such as http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=407071the question would be something like, "whut da f@%# iz dat?!" d'oh!

That way, any flame wars are off-board, saving EV from the tedium of tidying up afterwards. Laughing

Vintage Driven... Oil Cooled

'62 Porsche 356 Notchback Hotrod
'63 VW Type 34 Karmann Ghia
'64 VW Bus 21 Deluxe Samba
'67 Porsche 911 S
'68 Porsche 911 T Targa
'70 Porsche 914/6 GT
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Gallery comments and rating Reply with quote

So I guess there is no way of searching photos by ratings? Like I would like to see all the #10 rated photos or all rated photos in order. I don't care who rated them. Is there a way to view these rated pictures?

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: