Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping in Non-Campers
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingCoyote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious...was this one in Woodstock/Saugerties?
gravedigger7 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakebayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are BIG on camping with our non-camper. With all the gear my van can carry (without the heavy cabinets, AC, water & gas tanks) we can go for almost 2 weeks DEEP undercover.

BTW: that is not a dead end road, the road we just had driven Up falls away there down the canyon... steep! (Goler Wash - of Manson infamy)

Gorge Runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is shot at a campground after nearly two weeks on the road. Well, one week was at Burning Man, hence the mass quantity of stuff stacked on the roof racks. I'd consider a small trailer to hold all the camping equipment that would otherwise fill the cabin on long trips.

Besides clothing, coolers cookware and sleeping bags, we pack 35 gallons of fresh water on the desert trips and a shade structure, folding table and chairs, tools. . . the list goes on forever. I know some folks don't like to cook inside the westie. But I think a heater would be nice. And the z-bed in the carat is big and comfy.
Drewfuss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a '78 non westy. i just took out the 2 back seats and put a bed on the floor. i use the space above the engine compartment as storage.
gravedigger7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Now
The tent is high enough for me to stand in. I bought it from Bus Depot about 3 years ago and its a "Just Kampers" model. It comes with a room divider and all three of my girls fit in ther comfortably without killing each other!! Like I said its all up to the person who has to enjoy it man find a groove and go with it!!! Peace

LEW

[img]

[/img][IMG]

[img]
[/img]
MattVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that many Westy's are very expensive so I see why you could tolerate a hard-top. My way of thinking is to do some extra searching to find a full camper that maybe isn't in pristine shape and to gradually fix it up over time that way you'll get to know the vehicle inside and out. In the end you'll have a van that's just the way you want it. Simple. May take some time, but I'm sure you'd be happy with it in the end.

Since I'm still setting aside funds to purchase a Vanagon, a hard-top is probably what I'm going to end up getting even though I would very much love to have a Westy. I just need something with lots of room (golf team + golf bags etc. you do the math) to get me from home to school and back (and to work on weekends and the summer). I don't think it's very practical to haul extra weight around to get to and from the city every day. I love road trips and camping, but with the amount of time I have, a hard-top is probably going to be the best option in the long run, at least for the next few years.

I'd love to have a Westy but it would be impractical too fit my needs. A hard-top (7-pass GL, Wolfsburg, Carat) is what I really need. Maybe after college or something I'll get a Westy but for now it's gonna be a hard-top.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gravedigger7 Very Happy i like that tent looks a little short on height though. what is it called is it a walk-through? the toyota dolphin i bought is going to be great more of what i need right now . this is my dream
more pics http://www.rccimport.co.uk/pages/detail.asp?ProdID=656 the price i paid for the dolphin was a very low price and i have liked them for years. the chinook is what i have wanted for years but rust is a big problem with them. but the mpg is about the same on these as the vanagon camper. but i am allways looking for things for my non camper vanagon to make it more useable. i think the full camper is way overated. i just wish my vanagons had the pop top. but westfalia sure knew what they were doing with such a small space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a recent (Aug '07) Vanagon owner.

I bought an '85 GL and it works great for camping and great as a second car. I tossed the middle seats. I take my Honda to work..early shift, 6:00am - 2:00pm...get home, futz around and fire up the Vanagon to pick up the kids (7th graders) from school...I only have one son, but on any given day, there are two to three others, backbacks, band instruments and an occasional bike. It all fits and there are seatbelts for 5.

We've only been camping once since we got the GL...up to Lava Beds National Monument.

The GL worked out great. I started looking for Westys when we came back, and I had a Weekender (with pop top) to try out for a weekend. It was pretty cool...and being able to stand up was sweet, but to use as a daily pickup, hauler and mover didn't seem practical.

If I can ever afford to have a second Vangon specifically for camping it will be a Westy...they are awfully nice, but until then, my GL will do fine.

...there is a boy in here somewhere:

gravedigger7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob
Here are some pixs of camping in a non camper. Just have to find your groove and do what works!!

[img]

[/img]

[img]
[/img]
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we went from a Suburban (8mpg pulling the trailer) and 20ft travel trailer down to a Vanagon(17mpg). now that the kid does not come camping with us it's all we need. it's an 85GL with the big sunroof. the guy I bought it from put on a poptop over the sunroof. gives you head room to move around in. we use the poptop area mostly as closet space when we are camped. we can stow all of our stuff up there so we have the "downstairs" clutter free. we can close the sunroof at night to keep out cool air if needed. nice big bed. we use a little trailer to haul our stove,coolers and other gear. couple of pics at the link below. my daily driver!!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278394
jnesta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to posting here, but had to weigh in.

Did cross-country in an '81 Westy with a buddy - 2 beds = comfort!
Did local camping in it with the wife and dogs- sleep upstairs = bigger bed!
Then onto a '91 Carat - missed standing up, but didn't miss the fridge or stove.
Went through a F-250 w/ 5th wheel stage, 3/4 ton suburban w/ travel trailer and slide-out stage and now we're back:
onto a '91 MV Weekender (still getting it ready) - looking forward to more space than the Westy and standing up, unlike the carat! There's 3 of us now... and no more RV payments!
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i passed on the scotty and opted on a 83 toyota dolphin
this would be so cool if it could ba a vanagon but for $1200 i had to buy it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cartopcamper.com/index.htm

A less expensive roof top tent vs. the $2,500 ones. I think I will go this route some day for my 87gl....or mabye make my own Confused Though some day i would like to own a Westy, the vesatility of removing the roof tent when it's not needed is a plus.
vannygun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a 90 gl with zbed,lots of bed!!!!the unexpected perk i didnt even think about was last summer on mt hood at one of the lakes i slept with my head by near the rear window.there wasnt a cloud in the sky and all of the stars were out!love my vanagon and look forward to all of the memorys to come!!!!!!!!! Very Happy westys werent in the cards for me at the time,i wanted a lighter daily driver.ive put on 26,000 miles since summer of 06 and still lovin it!
2006 jeep commander
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping in Non-Campers Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
Robw_z wrote:
Just wondering who here camps in their non-Westy Vanagons?
-Rob

Naturally, there is a catch, in fact a Catch-22. In order to view the detailed map of the campground locations and read the reviews, you have to submit a review and thus obtain a password.

Update:

My Catch-22 is resolved, Roadguy at Roadhaus, let me access the maps and reviews of the "VW Campgrounds" and I would like to publicly thank him and also add, that this Website and the Campground link in particular is a Gold Mine.
One terrific website.

http://www.roadhaus.com/

LG aka VisPacemPB. 89 Carat/94 Subaru 2.2
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to do lots of camping in my GL, weather it is out or one night, or a whole week and I love it. I had a Westy at one point in my life, but found that driving it around with all the camping equipment was unnecessary. I usually cooked out side, and although the cabinets were useful I would rather have the space. I did like the ability to stand up but thought I wouldn't miss it. Therefor, I decided I needed a more utilitarian vehicle and bought the syncro. My wife and I sleep so much better on the larger bed. and the inability to stand up has never been an issue. Camp stove, awning, and a few other implements makes for an ideal camping experience. Besides there is a lot less rattles on long gravel roads, and a lot less screws to have to tighten up at the end. If you love gadgets and compartments and plan on using it primarily for camping try to get a Westy. However, if you are looking for a more useful vehicle and are more of a minimalist, get a 7 pass. That is what I did.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping in Non-Campers Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Just wondering who here camps in their non-Westy Vanagons?
-Rob

Hello lads and lasses

I am planning two camping trips for 2008. One from Las Vegas to the Florida Keys and one, again from Las Vegas to the Olympic Peninsula ---> in a 1989 Carat<----
Trying to plan ahead, I locate the Roadhaus website, with that **apparently** wonderful link: "Maps and reviews. VW campgrounds reviews"

Naturally, there is a catch, in fact a Catch-22. In order to view the detailed map of the campground locations and read the reviews, you have to submit a review and thus obtain a password.

Real nice. How are you going to submit a review if you don't even know where said "VW" campgrounds are located in the first place ?
I did before, in this van do some "wild" camping, but have never even entered a campgroound even less a so-called "VW" campground. Therefore, said site is totally useless, for people in my situation.

I am doing quite a lot of "improvement" and repairs after my 2007 trip Coast to Coast and my van is now almost ready.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

LG aka VisPacemPB 89 Carat/1994 Subaru 2.2 motor
pulgoso1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive only been camping once in my 1980 Vanagon, in October 12th we went to the Busses and Balloons campout and it was able to fit me and my girlfriend in the back (no back seat so theres just a big flat space) my friend justin on the floor between the middle seat and the front seats and then we just set up a tent for my friend walter and his girlfriend. soon it will be a camper though...
mccabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love camping in my 91 carat, I've always been just fine with, a little colman stove and a cooler, perhaps a camp fire. But its just me and my girlfriend, so I find I have plenty of room and I don't really camp for more thnt a couple days at a time. My van is also my daily driver and I'm not sure I would want to drive a westie around everywhere. Im sure its nice if you have though.
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob,

Thanks. We all move in different ways. I don't have Yosemite in my back yard, but I've got 5 Fresh water lakes and 3 Great Lakes ( 1- 15min. away) How much are YOU paying for water???

I'll state it plainly. When young a tent and rock as a pillow is heaven. The adventure is out there, grab it and don't let go. Makes smiles within when you remember the good times at times past.

Same as a Westfalia or a Regular People Mover ( Transporter/ Kombi) is the adventure to make a good time(s) happen. What ever Classic VW you choose to make those good time(s) in.

it is what ever you make it.

I'm a Kayaker and sorry to be a snob at water, I get to paddle in the best water in the US. Try it. you'll see.

add note: On Seneca Lake is 14 Wineries. Hmm, Paddle 14 miles drink 14 wines, YUM.

Did I forget Kueka Lake? 10 more... Burp.

I kan'tz paddle no more-z. Too much.

If a good paddle ( Kayak or canoe) Kueka or Sampson NY State Park is in order. Take That Yomsemite Crowd.

Razz
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: