Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine conv. management: factory wiring or standalone?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Engine conv. management: factory wiring or standalone? Reply with quote

I'm currently using obd1 and am quickly wishing I had more offering from my engine conversion.

Even just to be able to have a scan gauge to monitor things would be nice. How ever being able to set maps and watch every thing in real time would be awesome.

Is anyone using standalone management?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: factory wiring or standalone? Reply with quote

Yes, I have multiple engines running on aftermarket management.
Each needs a custom wiring harness and the management I prefer cost $2500 + connectors + building the harness.

Very expensive for most...but I can also monitor completely from a Bluetooth connection and app, on my laptop, BlackBerry phone and tablet.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: factory wiring or standalone? Reply with quote

Hey Insyncro, any chance you could profile one of you stand alone setups or point me(us) towards a thread where you have done this?

Thanks,

Hans
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: factory wiring or standalone? Reply with quote

I would probably go with MS if I were to use standalone. The lure of real time monitoring and tuning is very inviting. At the very least I will take the time to retro fit obd2 and can the obd1.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: factory wiring or standalone? Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
Hey Insyncro, any chance you could profile one of you stand alone setups or point me(us) towards a thread where you have done this?

Thanks,

Hans

Nope, no thread.
My choice is LINK.
They can control variable valve timing of the year engines I have used.
Now with CAN, some different systems are available, but way more bypassing must be done....and by someone with experience.
One glitch and everything will shut down.

A few have gone down this road and if you contact the major Subaru conversion vendors, I'm sure they will take your money for parts.
If you want support, I recommend only dealing with the management manufacturers directly.

Bostig is the only Vanagon conversion vendor that will provide, support and update the map for the engine that the kit was designed for.

Do your homework very carefully as you can spend a lot of money for parts and to get a reliable running engine, a few hours of dyno time may be needed, 1, 2 or 3 times to get it right.
Dyno time costs money, big money if the tuner is being paid as well.
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Engine conv. management: factory wiring or standalone? Reply with quote

If your working with a Subie... obd1
You could try the Evoscan and/or B10 tools.
You'll need an older laptop if I remember.
http://www.4bc.org/vanagon/engine.html
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine conv. management: factory wiring or standalone? Reply with quote

Agree with Dylan. It's a lot of wiring to get standalones running properly and then quite a bit of messing with a laptop. Mostly only worth it if you are doing something the stock ecu can't handle like forced induction
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine conv. management: factory wiring or standalone? Reply with quote

OBDI will need older software and older computer.
Windows 95 runs the older programming much better and offers direct connections like a PCMCIA slot directly to the motherboard.

You can just monitor much easier, but that will not allow any tuning.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Engine conv. management: factory wiring or standalone? Reply with quote

This is a single cam 8 valve boosted application. I am using an aftermarket eprom, however these are made as a one size fits all.
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Engine conv. management: factory wiring or standalone? Reply with quote

I thought Evoscan could scan the OBDI Subarus and use modern computers?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: