Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

damn that is so tempting. I love the idea of stock reliability but added fun. Is 1800 the price for me to take my stock 1500sp, and slap the kit on and drive?
Joel Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

Pretty much! The kit doesn't come with a locked out 009, but other than that, It doesn't require any other parts. The turbos went up though, and the kit is now 1900....throttle cable for a bug, header, rebuilt Kadron pre-jetted, intake, boots, clamps...as you see in the pics...
Joel Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

Just finished dyno tuning a 1915 with our kit, 200 HP 220 TQ...small cam and some head work...
Striker27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

Where can you get one of these kits? How much are they?
Jjackson27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

Okay so this is my first post here, i have a vanagon and a bug. The buggy is in need of more power and turbo is the route im taking. I saw the list of items needed for the turbo set up and was wondering if anyone could give me a full rundown on where to get the items, how to install, etc.

Thanks alot
Joel Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

I'm sold out on the kits, but with enough interest, I'll make more...BTW, just built a 1672 (65 x 90.5) for my Puma, 211 TQ, 185 HP...11 PSI, pump gas...
56vvdubb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

Aloha guys, here is an update to this thread. Here is a Joel Mohr turbo set up on a Stock 1600SP engine built by Billy Manely (here on the Samba). Street driven on 9lbs. of boost. Not sure about the HP, did not dyno the car. I have driven the car roughly 1000 miles and no issues with oiling that I know of, I have the top of the decklid popped for additional cooling while driving. I will be putting on a CHT gauge and Oil temp dipstick to monitor. I really just drive regularly and cruise hardly on boost. It is only when you need or want boost that is comes on. At 4000 rpm in 3rd gear pushing 9lbs. of boost is great fun. MPG's right now hover around 17mpg with the current jetting. I am sure that is because of my heavy foot and an increase in HP. I ordered the kit straight from Mohr performance and added the 09 distributor locked out. The kit has everything to "Bolt on". I will be ordering another kit for my bus when it is ready.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

Cool Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

56vvdubb wrote:
Aloha guys, here is an update to this thread. Here is a Joel Mohr turbo set up on a Stock 1600SP engine built by Billy Manely (here on the Samba). Street driven on 9lbs. of boost. Not sure about the HP, did not dyno the car. I have driven the car roughly 1000 miles and no issues with oiling that I know of, I have the top of the decklid popped for additional cooling while driving. I will be putting on a CHT gauge and Oil temp dipstick to monitor. I really just drive regularly and cruise hardly on boost. It is only when you need or want boost that is comes on. At 4000 rpm in 3rd gear pushing 9lbs. of boost is great fun. MPG's right now hover around 17mpg with the current jetting. I am sure that is because of my heavy foot and an increase in HP. I ordered the kit straight from Mohr performance and added the 09 distributor locked out. The kit has everything to "Bolt on". I will be ordering another kit for my bus when it is ready.

can't wait to drive it!! Very Happy
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

Kool stuff. I wouldn't run a turbo without a welded and balanced fan, tho.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
Kool stuff. I wouldn't run a turbo without a welded and balanced fan, tho.

Why is that? Stock pulley setup slips at 4500 rpm?
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

Welded and balanced fans are a necessity based off revolutions per minute. Not forced induction (or lack therof).
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

With a turbo you don't need to rev a stock engine past 5000-5500 rpm....if the turbo is sized correctly.

Your mileage is probably due to a rich jetting rather than a heavy foot.
With a draw through you use fuel to keep your intake temps in check to combat detonation.

Get a decent AFR meter and you can tune that engine better.

I recommend the PLX gauge.....no calibrating and very reasonably priced. The gauge will display volts so if you have a voltmeter you can just install it in place of that gauge.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

Looks good! Thanks!
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

56vvdubb wrote:

is this Kit still available ?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

I love the simplicity of your kits Joel Mohr! And the fact that it all fits under the stock engine cover. By limiting these systems to 10 or 11 psi they are so much more user friendly and yes there is a market out there for less than monster performance. A budget turbo kit is the perfect answer.

I have just finished building a nice 1641 SP with the intent to keep it N/A but you are making it very difficult to keep my resolve!! The only thing I would change is to dump the locked 009 and go with a junkyard crank trigger conversion.
dillon schuh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Homemade Turbo 1600 Single Port recipe, DYNO'ED, NOW T3/T4!! Reply with quote

I have a 1641 DP with a 34 pic
its super reliable but its a dog on the hills
Budget turbo kit needed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Jump to:
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: