Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Essential Spare Parts List FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrenchman12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man the list of things you need is long. I think I'll just tow a spare bus around with me. Wink haha No seriously this is a good useful thread.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just added a valve spring, keeper & retainer to my parts stowage Evil or Very Mad

also tossed in a whole rocker arm assembly for good measure.
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwilson wrote:
Pack of Marlboros and a ten minute wait so he could help a paying customer and we were both more than pleased with the deal

Looks like I will be adding some Marlboros to my parts stash! Laughing

(damn those things are pricey!)
zuma76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Things to have Reply with quote

On my third camping trip up to Payson AZ I left late one night to get a camp site since it was a 3 day weekend... I left late Wednesday. I got to Payson at 2:00am ... pulled into a Circle K for gas. Had the two dogs with me. Everything was running GREAT. I got in and cranked the engine... it just kept cranking... and cranking ... no fire!

Shit ... 2am and now this! Nothing like that sinking feeling you get at times like this. I got out and the first thing was pulled the cap and looked at the points. I have a dwell meter so I hooked it up and asked a guy that pulled in to get gas to turn the key for me ... dwell was 45.0 so points were good. Then I pulled the coil wire, positioned 1/2 inch from ground and had him crank it again. Yellow spark (new coil fixed this). Still wouldn't start. I got under and checked the fuel pump, jiggled the wires... got in and it fired right up. Not sure what fixed it.

Since then I have the following:

- Coil, Points, Condenser, Cap, Rotor
- Spare distributor with plug wires
- Resistor Pack
- Dual Relay
- Spare Fuel Pump
- Clutch Cable (kit)
- Throttle Cable with attachments
- Quality 12 volt air pump

Would LOVE to find a (read CHEAP) spare computer module to carry with me!

Would be nice to carry one spare injector, although the bus runs pretty good on 3 cylinders (I know this cuz I unplugged a spark plug once and forgot to reconnect it! It sounded weird and the RPM gauge was way off on my tester!) but it went 55 down the road... no real issue.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems everyone is caring a set of points, condenser cap/rotor ect. I have a spare dizzy that has a bracket/hold down on it,, all set/timed and ready to bolt down an go(Installed then removed ),madmike
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magiceddie88 wrote:
phip wrote:
Thanks everyone! One thing- Several people have mentioned jumper cables, I've always heard jumping busses will fry the electrical. What's the correct way to jump them then?

Exclamation "Never jump start your Volkswagen using another car that is running. Use the other vehicle's battery power alone to start it because a 14.5 volt running system (i.e., GM) can seriously damage a 12.6 volt system (i.e., Volkswagen) due to the overvoltage."

Wink

Rolling Eyes Laughing Eh? Think Brick wall Speak to the hand Shhh Shame on you
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been jumping my '71 with American vehicles for 40 years now. I've been jumping my American vehicles with the bus for the same 40 years. I've observed no damage to anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Artvonne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping

Keep your key off. Connect cables, but make last connection with ground cable to something on engine, not the battery. Allow charging vehicle to charge you, then turn charging vehicle off. Then try yours. If you do it that way there is almost zero risk of damaging anything on either vehicle. Saw a MB with $400) worth of blown computers after getting a jump. Its rare to damage stuff, but it happens. I lost thealt on our Expedition less than two weeks after using it to jump and not following my own rules. Cant say it was the cause, but you read and hear enough about that stuff you should consider it. It wouldn't be in most cars owners manuals if it was all BS.

Interesting thread. I haven't had a Camper in 35 years, but I do recall slowly carrying more and more tools, supplies and goodies along. I always had a bottle of cognac hid away, plus extra clothes, jacket, tarp, spare parts, snacks and stuff, water, beer, a camera, etc., etc.. I started using the mentality of what would be needed to survive in it for a long trip out to the far reaches of the continent, while trying to keep it to a minimum. I found I liked my Coleman lantern a lot. Not only was it nice for campling, but it could provide emergency light as well as warmth, and I never left home without it, some fuel, and some spare mantles. Even today, if im going camping I have one along.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Seems everyone is caring a set of points, condenser cap/rotor etc. I have a spare dizzy that has a bracket/hold down on it, all set/timed and ready to bolt down an go(Installed then removed ), madmike

Yup, me, too. Very handy. Oops, I just realized that this was mentioned in the fourth post! Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I carry...

Full tool kit; timing light - dwell/rpm meter - test light - metric and std sockets - metric and std allen sockets - metric swivel head sockets - metric ratchet head wrenches - socket extensions - hammer - collapsible hydraulic jack - jack stands - locking, std and needle nose pliers - sharpie marker - punch - crank nut socket & alt nut socket - oil funnel - adjustable wrench - JB weld - Locktite

Replacement parts; vacuum caps - vacuum line - 2 or 3 accelerator cables - 1 or 2 clutch cables - rear engine mounts - full case of brad penn - gasket kit w/ a few sets of valve cover gaskets - 2 sets of muffler clamp kits - a fully loaded, tested and set up distributor - tons of fuses - points, cap, condenser, rotor, plugs, wires - a couple of spools of different gauge wire - 2 or 3 alt belts - alternator pulley - throw out bearing - t/o bearing clips - ignition coil - tail light bulbs - spade connectors - battery terminal connectors - replacement carburetor - fuel pump - fuel line - misc metric nuts, bolts, washers

Other; Blankets - gloves - ice scraper - big f*cking knife - hatchet - camp fire grill - towels - phone charger - lots of lighters - pillows - Mr. Buddy propane heater - extra 1lbs propane tanks

I'm sure I'm missing a few things. All of these parts fit nearly into my camper without taking up much room. I've got two small tool boxes and everything else fits under the back seat or in my rear slide out drawers. Haven driven almost only air cooled VWs daily for the past decade, I've never been left stranded on the side of the road without a means to get myself back on it. I've even pulled the engine and replaced a throw out bearing on the way to work, was only a couple of hours late Twisted Evil
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List Reply with quote

phip wrote:
I'm trying to make a list of parts to carry in a bus that'll be traveling far from home. I realize this is very subjective but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks. Routine maintenence and breakdown repair. Any Suggestions?

- Crush Washers for Oil
- Oil Filters
- Fuel Filter
- Oil
- Clutch/Accelerator Cables (how often do these break?)
- Jerry Can
- Alternator Belt

The jerry can carries extra fuel for longer range. it isn't a spare part.

But if you get a new steel one and braze in a fuel fitting and carry a goodly length of fuel hose, you have a complete spare fuel system as well as spare fuel.. I would braze in a nut for a motorcycle petcock and then put a steel gaurd over it so it can't get slammed. Install the fuel hose and coil it above the top of the can so it can't leak and plug it with a fuel filter and bag that. This covers tank problems (like venting), filter problems, all the fuel leaked out issues and fuel pump problems. Quality steel cans are available in the USA in the low round configuration and these are not difficult to strap on the roof for your emergency gravity feed fuel system.

A load of bad gas can really rain on your day and being careful where you buy helps. But carry a funnel for filling the tank from a bucket and a clean 5 gallon bucket with lid. The bucket can be used for nice dry storage for anything, washing clothing, etc. if you get bad fuel you can use your emergency rig to get you to a good place to work and to clear some of the bad fuel from the carbs. Then you drain your tank some into the bucket, let it settle out (water is usually the issue) and put back into the tank with the funnel. Clean bucket and funnel, change filter and head out.

When you travel far you become part of a community of others doing the same. You are also far more dependent on the kindness of strangers when in trouble. You not only run on gas and burgers, but karma too. be ready to help others. Carrying gas and the means to get it into any other vehicle is wise. I have helped others with gas more times than they have helped me---but it's close Smile
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List Reply with quote

PITApan wrote:
... A load of bad gas can really rain on your day and being careful where you buy helps. ...

I've had bad gas.
It came from a station in Mojave that had it's underground gasoline tank accidentally filled with diesel. The vehicle ran fine on the fuel that was in carburetor bowl and then ... I've written up the experience in other posts.

If you suspect bad gas, disconnect the fuel line and collect some in a glass jar and swirl it. Water, diesel fuel or other contaminants will separate.
(preflight 101)

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
PITApan wrote:
... A load of bad gas can really rain on your day and being careful where you buy helps. ...

I've had bad gas.
It came from a station in Mojave that had it's underground gasoline tank accidentally filled with diesel. The vehicle ran fine on the fuel that was in carburetor bowl and then ... I've written up the experience in other posts.

If you suspect bad gas, disconnect the fuel line and collect some in a glass jar and swirl it. Water, diesel fuel or other contaminants will separate.
(preflight 101)

Aloha
tp

I've gotten water loaded gas from an old river bottom station with rusted out tanks.

Saw a pic. of a nice modern pemex station in mexico with a sign out saying "No Gas". Middle of nowhere. But an old truck was parked in front with a guy dealing gas out of jerry cans. The locals know when the truck comes to reload the station. So a day or three before they go and load their cans running the station dry. Then they deal off the gas out of the cans at a premium. nice racket. Carry filters. Carry many filters.
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrenchman12 wrote:
man the list of things you need is long. I think I'll just tow a spare bus around with me. Wink haha No seriously this is a good useful thread.

You can take a bulky item, like a clutch kit and tools, and pack them in a box and leave with a trusted person at home. If it craps on a trip they can then be shipped to you, very quickly if need be. I do this with certain parts on motorcycle trips. Space on a bike is very limited.
Artvonne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 90's my Dad and I were in Duluth MN., to see an around the world antique car rally come through on its way back to London, after originally leaving London, driving east through China, airlifted to Alask and driving down from Canada. None of the cars were newer than 1960, and the majority were older than 1930. One of the cars that really caught my attention was a 1928 Bentley. The owner/driver, had tool and parts boxes bolted to the running boards, and various spare parts, including a spare driveshaft, bolted to the floor underneath the car to various steel and wood brackets and hangers.

If the vehicle is well sorted mechanically, you shouldnt need to worry about major parts failures. Carbs dont suddenly blow up, but a spare needle and seat is a good idea to have along, starters dont suddenly eat their brushes and bushings, but a spare solenoid or starter drive could be handy to have along in case yours decides to give it up. Even if you know how to fix those sort of things yourself, being able to hand the parts to someone who can, can be a great help.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List FAQ Reply with quote

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List FAQ Reply with quote

I went through this thread and put together a little excel sheet for my upcoming trip

Oil

Oil Change Kit

Brake Fluid

Fuel Filter

Fuel Pump

Parts Carb

Clutch Cable

Clevis Pin

Accelerator Cable

Fan Belt

Jerry Can

Distributor

Coil

Plugs

Valve Train

Fuel Line

Clamps

Fuses

Electrical Repair Kit (spade connectors et cetera)

Rebuild an Engine Gasket Set

Spare bulbs

Repair Manuals

Jumper Cables

Something to lay on

Electrical Tape

Duct Tape

Wire

Nuts and Bolts

Food and Water

Lighter

Firestarter kit

Fire Extinguisher

Hatchet

I've also put together a Spare Tools List basically copy/pasting from Ratwell

Jack/Scissor/Bilstein/Trolley

Jack Stand

Lug Wrench

Set of Sockets

Spark Plug Socket

Ratchet Wrenches

Combination Wrenches

Screwdrivers

Pliers

Vise Grips

Brake Adjusting Tool

Brake Spring Compressor Tool

Leatherman

Allen Wrenches

Files

Timing Light

Feeler Gauge

WD-40

Tire Gauge

Emery Cloth

Sandpaper

Bailing Wire

Flashlight

Work Clothes

Rags

Work Light

Torque Wrench

Flare Wrenches

Drill

Hammer

Impact Driver

Magnet-Inspectors Type

Hack Saw and Blades

PB Blaster

Wire Brushes

Multimeter

Test Light
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List FAQ Reply with quote

Any room left to sleep in that bus? JK.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List FAQ Reply with quote

An idea coming from pasture driving out where everything sticks or bites. I have been on places larger than 50 sections (50 square mles) and tire repair on the fly is a given. I bought a spare compression tester hose, the short piece with Schrader valve in it, from a Snap-on dealer and use it to pump air to a leaky tire. You just remove one spark plug, install test hose, plug in a self coiling air hose to the test hose, start your ride and air the tire up on 3 cylinders or how ever many you have left. I carry a small fishing tackle box with plug tools, cement and plugs. Blows a tire up pretty fast. Use a clip on chuck. Works great on ATV's if you have the spare cylinders.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Essential Spare Parts List FAQ Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Any room left to sleep in that bus? JK.

yeah, I keep a used alternator belt coiled up in the back, next to the engine.
sometimes my old Leatherman Wave multitool is with me as well.
VWs are pretty reliable if you keep up the maintenance protocol & don't
buy any thrill seeker's 'danger gas'. Treat it like you respect it.
And check your gear lube. Every year.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: