Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 1.8L lives
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: New 1.8L lives Reply with quote

Project Westy 1.8L "powerhouse" is alive, or was alive from 1553 to 1613 hrs. Yee-haw!

The problem was simple enough, timing was off. After a few CW & CCW adjustments of the distributor, it coughed to life.
After a quick adjustment to ~31 deg advance, the engine ticked away smoothly, considering the carbs are only pre-adjusted and not finely dialed in yet.
I ran it between 2000-2500 RPM (sometimes a bit more, but never less) for twenty minutes.
There were no backfires or misses, and smooth in response to change in RPM. The exhaust note is nice, with no exhaust leaks detected.
The mild cam and sound of the carbs pulling air is a very sweet sound indeed. I'm looking forward to getting everything ricky-tick dialed in and taking it for a good spin.

Now a few small oil issues to sort out. The first is weeping from the oil pressure relief plug. It was dry above this, and I could notice it dripping a drop of oil every 5 sec or so during break-in. I don't have a oil pressure gauge, so I'm not able to tell the exact pressure. It's certainly enough that the oil pressure light is off.
Another lesser leak, (maybe 1-2 drops) from right valve cover.
If that's the worst, I'll consider myself lucky, fix them and carry on.

So, when I come down from this high (not from the fumes, the shop doors were both open wide with plenty of fresh air blowing through.
CHT never climbed over ~330 F during the 20 minutes, of course no load was involved. From what I can tell, that's well within spec.

I want to say a big THANK-YOU to everyone here. Whether you've helped me through your posts directly or your previous posts on a variety of issues helped pave the way to getting our new engine up & running.
What a great way to roar into the new year!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, I still have to run the CHT wiring & gauge to the cabin. Razz

Straight-weight 30 & Oatmeal Stout. Nice combo!
dweller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Mark! Congratulations.

Did you keep it stock, or modify anything?

How about posting a pic of the engine, if you have one before install.

good luck w/ the break-in.
dp
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dp,

It's stock 1.8L displacement, but w/ a mild cam and weber 40 IDFs.
Here's a shot of the engine shortly before I installed it. There's a bit missing or not connected yet in this shot.

With the engine & trans mated, it was straight forward using an ATV jack for the engine and small jack under the tranny, just raising each a bit at a time until everything lined up.
frank79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking work Mark. You have a nice work area too...
Congratulations.

Frank
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73kombi
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, that engine, shop, bus, hell even you, are waayyyyy too clean!

Did you shower up for the photo shoot?

peace

p.s. Yeah, I'm envious.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to prevent leakage i use loctite 518 on the relief plug. and you have to make it very tight. if you don't have the proper tool use a cold chisel to get it tight. there is a lot of pressure right there and those plugs want to leak. the engine looks great!
Quadratrückseite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice clean looking bus, engine compartment & engine!
Congrats! You've come a long way from that orange rustbucket you started with - it's inspiring to read. Nice to see another one come back from the dead - and I love that color!

www.gusthevwbus.com

www.eatingpeaches.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Quadratrückseite wrote:
Nice clean looking bus, engine compartment & engine!
Congrats! You've come a long way from that orange rustbucket you started with - it's inspiring to read. Nice to see another one come back from the dead - and I love that color!

X2!! That color is ausome!! What is it? Custom? Very nice engine too!!!!!!
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. You know, we've gotten lots of positive comments about this colour.
Way back when planning the restoration, we were going to do this up in early Dove Blue, but then decided upon Neptune Blue as a more "period-correct" shade.
There was a problem getting either colours matched by the jobber, so I ended up choosing this from a sample booklet.
It's a Nason/Dupont single-stage acrylic. If anyone wants the tint ratios just send a PM.
Now that the engine lives, I spent my last day off addressing goofy wiring issues, generally just tidying up the wiring w/ tie-wraps.
The door switches now work with the cabin light, and dash vent fans work, (a nice big puff of crap/dust blew in my face after I turned the switch!) Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: