Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

This question is specifically about the GoWesty springs only. I know about other springs and modifications already. Thanks for providing the info.

GoWesty is now selling genuine German H&R lift springs for the 2wd Vanagon. Ther are progressive wound springs similar to their Syncro spring set. GoWesty says they add 1.5" to the ride height.

Has anyone purchased or installed these springs yet? Specifically on a Westy? I'm curious of what the impression of the springs is and what the final ride height ended up at.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4202&category_id=91&category_parent_id=

Thanks.

Moderator note: This topic was started in 2008. GoWesty now sells their own, USA-made progressive springs. Skip to page 2 for start of current spring discussion.

Last edited by PDXWesty on Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5" higher than what model year I wonder, my 82' sits WAY lower then my buddies 85', maybe his already has different springs in it...

Can I just buy one rear spring to correct my westy lean? Laughing
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '87 Westy sits much higher than "normal," as I've read only the older machines do. If I wanted to lift it I'd be concerned that any springs I buy would not take it higher than it already is. I measured it just now and it's at 16 1/4 inches at the front and 16 1/2 at the back, and yet it appears to squat

Probably a good idea to pick a mutual reference point for these measurements, like from the centerline of the axle to the bottom of the wheel arch (both front and rear) when talking about "high" or "low." That way everyone has the same reference point.

Last edited by campism on Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my carat springs with 85 Westy springs and gained almost 2"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232729&highlight=

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been found that the '85 Westy springs seem to be the tallest stocker out there.

My '87 Wolfy came with "Carat" springs which sits 1 1/2" lower than norm. This is a pic of the Bilstein touring shock mated to 85 Westy springs.:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and 'raked with '85s rear and '87 front:

and '85s front and rear: (blurry)

I gained about 2" over stock which really helped stuff the BFG A/T's under the fender.

...................yes, my Van is a pic whore. Embarassed
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDX,

I just purchased the GoWesty 2WD springs. I am planning to have them installed either next week or the week following. I also had GW throw in a third spring "cap" for the left rear spring ... hopefully the upgrade will eliminate both the "sag" and "lean" on my 89 Westy.

Stay tuned.

C
djs94124
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDX,

I was just at GoWesty last week having these installed on my '87 Westfalia full camper. The drive back from San Luis Obispo to San Francisco and then another trip yesterday into Sonoma provided an extended opportunity to evaluate the new springs.

So far, I am quite happy with them. My original front springs were quite worn out, causing my camper to almost bottom-out upon hard braking.

My camper now sits noticeably higher at rest. I think the claimed 1.5" lift is accurate. As for the driving experience, the ride seems about the same as before, due to the progressive-rate design. The big difference I notice is that the camper no longer dives as much on braking, recovers on rebound sooner, and is more stable and responsive when turning. I also have a larger front swaybar installed along with Bilstein gas shocks, so the improved handling is not just due to the springs, but they are a definite improvement over stock. My main reason for upgrading my springs was because my old ones were sagging. I can recommend these very much!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJS-

Thanks for that info. It sounds like a big improvement, one I've been waiting for.

I wonder if you could do us a favor and measure your ride height at each wheel. That's the distance from the center of the hub to the lip of the fender. That measurement can be compared to other vans regardless of what wheels/tires you have installed. My measurements vary from 14.5" to 16'5" on different wheels. Syncro.org claims their springs give a final ride height of about 17" all around. I was curious what the GoWesty springs provide.

So do you have any pictures of the van with the new springs? San Luis Obispo is also my old stomping ground. I lived there for 9 years. You're lucky to be so close!

Your van looks a lot like my first one that got wrecked. Very nice!

Thanks!

djs94124
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDX,

I will be happy to measure my van's ride height and post it as soon as I can. I can tell you that it will be at the upper end of the range. My van definitely sits pretty tall now. I haven't taken any pictures yet of the camper with the new springs, I'll do that as well.

I really like SLO, but I also like the Portland area and often wished I lived there. My company is building a plant in Hillsboro right now, so there is the possibility of moving up there in the future, I suppose.
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason that spacers aren't used with the 1.5" springs?
I had a mildly lifted Jeep that I used spacers on to balance out the lift and keep it from sagging
just a thought
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWesty ships a spacer/cap for each rear spring. I requested a third spacer for the rear left spring ... hopefully this will eliminate not only the rear sag, but also the left lean due to all the kitchen/tank/storage.
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics make me miss home. I just moved up to eastern WA from Cambria. I love San luis obispo county. Was just getting to impractical to live there.
djs94124
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Pictures of 2WD springs installed.... Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of my '87 Westfalia with the GoWesty 2WD springs intalled:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/405640.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/405642.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/405641.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/405640.jpg

Today when I was taking these pics I noticed that GoWesty did NOT install an extra shim on the left rear spring to compensate for the "Westy Lean", which was there previously. But because these springs are a bit stiffer than stock, the lean isn't as noticeable. Still, if you have GoWesty do the work, you may want to ask for this extra shim if you have a full camper.

Ride height as measure from wheel centerline to fender lip is as follows:

Front: 18.5"
Rear: 18.5" (slightly less on the left side as previously mentioned)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many days have the springs been on? My after market springs went down, at least, 1/2 inch after a few weeks. The rear of my 85 Westy rides with rear syncro.org springs and Monroe shocks with helper springs. (See Best Threads sticky for Saggy Butt posts.) The front sits with stock 85 springs. I too sit at a proud 18.5+ inches all the way around, including no Westy lean because I made a thick spacer for the left rear.

My ride is firm in the back. I have KYB shocks in the front and either my springs are weak or the shocks, but my van dives during braking. So that is something I have to deal with.

I do admit it is VERY handy to be able to drive (slowly) over curbs, when needed. Or to be able to just drive where ever I want, for the most part.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
djs94124
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the springs on for just about a week and a half, so I expect they may "settle" a bit. However, they are a huge improvement over what I had previously:

The problem on my camper was always the front springs, which almost bottomed out on hard braking. With the new springs, dive is much less, and the camper recovers faster.
dogcoves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed Gowesty lift 1.5 Springs a few weeks and love them. No more deep front end dips when hitting the breaks. Handles better around the highway turns.

My Past Volkswagens:
1958 karmann ghia
1963 Beetle
1963 Westfalia
1966 Westfalia
1970 Beetle
1970 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djs94124
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've had them on my '87 camper now for over 5 years, I'm generally happy with them. Van sits level and with the Bilstein shocks and a larger front swaybar, it corners pretty flat and handles well (for what it is).

The only concern of late has been the possibility that the increased lift is contributing to my CV boots not lasting like they should, due to the increased angle of the axles. But the jury is still out on this, as others have noted their CV boots failing prematurely on vans with normal springs.

-Dan
scubabrian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine on for about 3 years now. They sit a little bit higher than my stock 85 springs but its not a lot. I have a Subaru and it sits a little lower in the rear but not enough to bother me. I did not use any additional spacers. I have had some CV boot failures at a really rapid rate until the latest set from Rockford. I think it is as much a boot quality issue as the increased angle. The progressive nature of the springs make for a nice ride but probably adds to nose dive under breaking, a bit more lean than I would prefer. Overall I'm happy with the set up and it works well with my larger all terrain tires.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
solarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the Gowesty springs on my 84 and it still saged then I added two spacers on each side but once I did my Bostig conversion it was saged again so I had to go with syncro spring much better now.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got them installed on my '87 GL 2WD, but haven't driven it yet to comment on ride, handling, rebound, front-end dive during hard-braking, etc.

Height listed here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6639594#6639594, from my build thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: