Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Bills85Westy wrote:
Hello,

I have the 2wd GoWesty Lift Springs. The installation was straight forward. I am using Lobro CVs with no issues. My van does not sit level. The rear driver's corner still sits low even after adding spacers. The DF, PF, PR all sat at the same level at set up. DR was still a little low.

Note that the fronts are a tight fit. Really!

I am happy with the install and the ride height.

The fronts settled somewhat after install (1/4" to 1/2")

Overall, i'm happy with them.

Bill

Thanks for the post. Do you have any observations regarding handling (does it lean more or less in turns; does it feel more or less stable in cross winds at hwy speed), brake dive or harshness going I've speed bumps?

Hi Jim,

It's really hard to quantify exactly what effect the springs themselves had because we did a complete overhaul of the rest of the front suspension at the same time. New poly bushings, big brakes, shock absorbers etc. What I will say is that the overall effect was stunning. I remember thinking how drastically the ride changed. Almost like a new car.

I feel the van is just as stable if not more (same or less lean and same or less dive). I'm overall very happy with the assembly of new and old parts.

Bill
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Pulled my gowesty 1-1/2" lift springs about 2 months ago and thought I'd post the final ride height for the front before pulling them.
16-1/2" for the front left
16-3/4" for the front right
These were the newer version not the older.

Why did you pull them and what did you replace them with? Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
levi wrote:
Pulled my gowesty 1-1/2" lift springs about 2 months ago and thought I'd post the final ride height for the front before pulling them.

Ride height at the initial installation of the springs was in the 18 to 18-1/2" range, just like what other posters above have mentioned, but they sagged and were continuing to do so.
About a year ago they were at 17".
Got to 16-1/2" and that was enough for me.
I did not like the ride quality, although that was likely a shock issue.

I was running bilstein h.d.,and those do not have enough damping to prevent the springs from nose diving and general pogo stick action.

An adjustable Koni might very well have enough damping available to tame those soft springs, but since they kept sagging I decided against trying them.

I still had the moog 5660 springs and so I put those back in.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

levi wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
levi wrote:

Ride height at the initial installation of the springs was in the 18 to 18-1/2" range, just like what other posters above have mentioned, but they sagged and were continuing to do so.
About a year ago they were at 17".
Got to 16-1/2" and that was enough for me.
I did not like the ride quality, although that was likely a shock issue.

I was running bilstein h.d.,and those do not have enough damping to prevent the springs from nose diving and general pogo stick action.

An adjustable Koni might very well have enough damping available to tame those soft springs, but since they kept sagging I decided against trying them.

I still had the moog 5660 springs and so I put those back in.

I keep watching this thread pop up and have waited for others to respond about the sagging.

I am on my 3rd set of GW springs due to sagging. I am fed up

Between sets 2 and 3 I installed Schwenk (Van Café) and the ride was better, but not as "lifted" as I wanted or expected. Steve took them back and has great customer service.

I have had Billstein's, KYBs and now Monroe HD yellow bodies. The ride is best over a year with the Monroe's. Billstein's were weak, KYBs leaked.

I have a set of 5660's under my desk at work, along with ball joints and some bushings to DO IT AGAIN and replace these other parts, just slacking. I have asked/wished someone would build an adjustable coil over for the front of a 2x vanagon but no one finished prototype to market components. having different spring rates and height adjustment would be awesome, even if they were $800 ea. especially if we could get them with rezzy's Wink

A machined upper spacer was my next install, but waiting for this 3rd set to reach its " sagged out completely" state before measuring and having the machine shop build a set in case I don't like the harsh 5660's. These spacers were built and sold in Europe many moons ago, but can not find an active vendor that has them in stock.....anyone have a line?

GW springs work well, but on a stock or mild load overnight camp trip. Any of us that dry camp for more than a day OFF ROAD and have a roof mounted rack and/or Yakima type box have all experienced the GW sag on our 2x's. The Syncro spring coil rates seem to be a better build as I hear nothing but good from those with the 4x4's.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

Just put them in mine, not enough miles to say yea or nay... but appearance wise I am happy. I will be adding the spacers in the rear, have that nose up attitude...
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
I have asked/wished someone would build an adjustable coil over for the front of a 2x vanagon but no one finished prototype to market components. having different spring rates and height adjustment would be awesome, even if they were $800 ea. especially if we could get them with rezzy's Wink

I know how to build them and do it correctly, but no money to buy the parts to get it done. And you don't actually need external reservoirs up front Wink
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

I have had a set in for about 7 years now, some may call the ride soft but I like it. Most of my Westy travels are trips where we are rolling down the highway or country road. Yes the nose will dive with hard braking and it will lean in the corners. It doesn't "feel" unsafe in cross winds. Sometimes we travel dirt roads and the soft side of the suspension is appreciated for that. I also tow a 1,000 pound boat and I don't have any issues with that. If I had to do it again, I would do it again and definitely use lift springs.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
I keep watching this thread pop up and have waited for others to respond about the sagging.

Between sets 2 and 3 I installed Schwenk (Van Café) and the ride was better, but not as "lifted" as I wanted or expected. Steve took them back and has great customer service.

I have had Billstein's, KYBs and now Monroe HD yellow bodies. The ride is best over a year with the Monroe's. Billstein's were weak, KYBs leaked.

I have a set of 5660's under my desk at work, along with ball joints and some bushings to DO IT AGAIN and replace these other parts, just slacking. I have asked/wished someone would build an adjustable coil over for the front of a 2x vanagon but no one finished prototype to market components. having different spring rates and height adjustment would be awesome, even if they were $800 ea. especially if we could get them with rezzy's Wink

A machined upper spacer was my next install, but waiting for this 3rd set to reach its " sagged out completely" state before measuring and having the machine shop build a set in case I don't like the harsh 5660's. These spacers were built and sold in Europe many moons ago, but can not find an active vendor that has them in stock.....anyone have a line?

GW springs work well, but on a stock or mild load overnight camp trip. Any of us that dry camp for more than a day OFF ROAD and have a roof mounted rack and/or Yakima type box have all experienced the GW sag on our 2x's. The Syncro spring coil rates seem to be a better build as I hear nothing but good from those with the 4x4's.

You can get Schwenks to 18.5" in the front with a steel spacer washer, problem solved.

What are the Monroe HD part numbers if you don't mind?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
Just put them in mine, not enough miles to say yea or nay... but appearance wise I am happy. I will be adding the spacers in the rear, have that nose up attitude...

That'll be a different look for your van. Same wheels? Pics? I'm sure it still looks super-sweet.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
flyindutchman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

I've had the same results as others ......
newfisher wrote:

I starter out with a ride height of 17 1/2 - 18"" stock in the front (85"westy) then put the Gowesty 1.5" lift springs in (with new rancho RS9000 shocks, T3. Audi breakes, ball joints, ect.) . the gowesty springs made the center hub to fender lip measure 18 1/2 - 3/4" . now the same measurement is 16 1/2" -7/8" !!!!! four years later and now my tires are rubbing too!!!

what brand should I replace them with.... not wanting to do this every four - five years
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:

I'm an idiot, mine are van Cafe springs...
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

Van Cafe sells both the GW springs and the springs below which I believe oare the Schwenk springs. These are the springs I'm ordering after noodling this for far too long.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_837_1336/2wd-springs.html

Abscate wrote:

tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

I've had the GW 1.5 springs on for probably 4 years and 20k miles, and no sagging at all. Different sourcing over time?
Fogerty1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

Figured I would add my experience to the list here.
I installed GW 1.5" lift springs back in April of last year. I did write down the ride height before the install -- which was, as many have mentioned, a royal PITA to do esp. the fronts -- but I can't find the initial data. I do recall that the ride height was consistent with what others have said about the 84s and 85s -- that they seemed to be a higher stock than other years.

Anyway, I went out and measured my now totally bedded-in setup yesterday, and got this:

FR: 18.75"
FL: 19"
RR: 18.5"
RL: 18.25"

I am running 205/70/15 Entyres on VC steel South African wheels with Bilstein HD shocks. All new rubber bushings up front.

I like the ride. It's tight but not clangy. Takes turns better than before, and I would say the cross-wind lean/push has probably been cut in half. Still there, just better. I like the look, too. Plus, I get a little more peace of mind re: ground clearance for the oil pan that hangs from the EJ22 engine.

I have a few GW 1/2" spring spacers laying around. Might add one to the rear left to combat the sag in that area. Overall I am very satisfied with these springs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

is just doing the rear to add height a bad idea? will adding some rake angle be hard on driving or wear out tires more quickly? I'd like to have more height in the rear but I think the front is fine and I'd like to stop spending so much $ on the van...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs? Reply with quote

2WD Westy. Doing the lift springs and Fox shocks. I bought 2x GoWesty "rear spacer pads". Should I use one each of the rears? Or just one on the driver side 'westy sag' side? I know i'll have to tweak it but I want a good place to start.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: