Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone install GoWesty 2WD Lift Springs?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
I've got them installed on my '87 GL 2WD, but haven't driven it yet to comment on ride, handling, rebound, front-end dive during hard-braking, etc.

Height listed here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6639594#6639594, from my build thread.

19+ inches sounds high. Is that what they are supposed to be or do you have shims too. An inch and a half lift would be like 17.5" wouldn't it? Or do they need to settle? 19" just sounds high for a 2wd camper.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
luVWagn wrote:
I've got them installed on my '87 GL 2WD, but haven't driven it yet to comment on ride, handling, rebound, front-end dive during hard-braking, etc.

Height listed here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6639594#6639594, from my build thread.

19+ inches sounds high. Is that what they are supposed to be or do you have shims too. An inch and a half lift would be like 17.5" wouldn't it? Or do they need to settle? 19" just sounds high for a 2wd camper.

Seems fairly common, see earlier in this thread:
djs94124 wrote:
Ride height as measure from wheel centerline to fender lip is as follows:

Front: 18.5"
Rear: 18.5" (slightly less on the left side as previously mentioned)

So i'm not far off of that, and this is on a fresh install. I may have spacers in the rear (I know I ordered them), but they wouldn't add much.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind this thread was started in 2008. The springs GW sells today are different than the ones they sold 5 years ago. Your numbers now may vary from 5 years ago.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Keep in mind this thread was started in 2008. The springs GW sells today are different than the ones they sold 5 years ago. Your numbers now may vary from 5 years ago.

PDXWesty, did you end up getting the newer 1.5" lift springs? I'm installing tomorrow and am wondering if I need to put in spacers in the rear too. Will of course be including the ball joint spacers...
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

PDXWesty, did you end up getting the newer 1.5" lift springs? I'm installing tomorrow and am wondering if I need to put in spacers in the rear too. Will of course be including the ball joint spacers...

I never did install GW springs.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks PDX...

I'm interested in feedback from those who installed the gowesty 1.5" springs...I'm installing them this week in my '84 westy, and am wondering if I need to use a pad in the RR to counter the highest corner, the FR.

Right now with stock springs my van sits at: LF: 16 1/8; LR: 16 1/2; RF: 16 7/8; RR: 16 1/2.

So my rear is even, but the FR is the highest of them all. Is this due to westy lean? I would expect the LR to be lower than the RR, but its not...Would a gowesty 1/2" pad on the RR spring level things out?

Thanks
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
OK thanks PDX...

I'm interested in feedback from those who installed the gowesty 1.5" springs...I'm installing them this week in my '84 westy, and am wondering if I need to use a pad in the RR to counter the highest corner, the FR.

Right now with stock springs my van sits at: LF: 16 1/8; LR: 16 1/2; RF: 16 7/8; RR: 16 1/2.

So my rear is even, but the FR is the highest of them all. Is this due to westy lean? I would expect the LR to be lower than the RR, but its not...Would a gowesty 1/2" pad on the RR spring level things out?

Thanks

How did you measure? westy tank full of water? empty cabinets?...camping gear?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question!

Empty everything ~ no water, no gear, no humans, etc....
ezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed the GoWesty 1.5" lift springs, after reading a diverse range of experiences (which almost made me return the springs instead of installing them!), so I thought I would share my own experience.

'85 Vanagon Camper 2WD. Height from hub to fender ranged from 16-16.5" with the old springs. After installing the new ones, ride height increased by a solid 2", so now sitting at 18-18.5". At the same time I installed new OEM Sachs/Boge shocks from Bus Depot.

Installation of the springs was pretty pricey, took a professional shop 4 hours. I installed the shocks myself. The westy now drives so much tighter, not too soft not too hard. Hardly tips when cornering, and dips far less when breaking. It used to feel a bit like a boat. It's been about 2 weeks, and so far so good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now I just gotta find some bigger wheels and tires...
Sitka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to highjack the thread but has anyone installed the GW lift springs on a tiptop?

Contemplating using them on my 2wd Doka Exclamation
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in the process of installing GW 2wd lift springs in the rear of my tin top. I have GW zero lifts on the front with Koni shocks. That brought the front up considerably. I had syncro.org springs in the rear and with the zeros it was almost level. I want to replace the rears and GW suggested using the lift spring in the rear after I told them I have a subaru motor along with GW steel plate bumpers and the hitch.
Ive got one side on now and its looking a bit higher than the front but I also have my drive train out right now. Im worried its going to be too high and effect my CV joints. They did tell me at GW that I could swap them out with zeros if I wasent happy. I was going to get matching konis for the rear but found out they are too short for the springs. So now Im looking at Rancho rear shocks and worried that if i switch back to the zero lift springs.... Ill be stuck with too long a shock . Maybe I should start a new topic asking that question.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goldie86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The westy now drives so much tighter, not too soft not too hard. Hardly tips when cornering, and dips far less when breaking. It used to feel a bit like a boat. It's been about 2 weeks, and so far so good.

Thanks for the post ezee. I'm ordering the 1.5" lift springs from go westy today along with Bilstein shocks and 16" rims. Can't wait to see how it changes the handling and ride.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldie86 wrote:
Quote:
The westy now drives so much tighter, not too soft not too hard. Hardly tips when cornering, and dips far less when breaking. It used to feel a bit like a boat. It's been about 2 weeks, and so far so good.

Thanks for the post ezee. I'm ordering the 1.5" lift springs from go westy today along with Bilstein shocks and 16" rims. Can't wait to see how it changes the handling and ride.

This is exactly my setup since summer 2013 and results and I love it. Have Yokohama Geolandars on the rims. We've put probably 4000 miles on the setup. I do drive a bit more slowly on curves ~ we have a big sweeping 90 degree turn in the road home and I used to do 65 on it, now slow down to 55 or so. It took me a bit of getting used to so now I'm more confident, but the improvement in handling is well worth the slight change in feeling of height and stability.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldie86 wrote:
Quote:

This'll be different shocks though than ezee's, and i've heard some folks complain about the Bilstein HDs with lift-springs - not clear to me what the best combo is.

I have the GW lift springs, but i'm NOT happy with the ride - but I'm hoping that is because of my shocks. So I keep wondering which shocks I should order (front+back) so that my lift is more drive-worth...
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!

Could anybody chime in with what shocks they're running on combination with the GW lift-springs, and if you're happy with the results?

Thank you!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you that I have h.d. bilstein with 1 1/2" lift and I am NOT content with that combo, way too soft and springy front end.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a number of changes, including the GW Springs, Koni adjustable shocks, a larger front Whiteline sway bar, and added a rear Addco bar to balance things out. This combo, along with the E-rated Nokians, have improved the ride of a heavy van considerably. Take note though, the Konis are shorter by enough to make shock extensions necessary, but relatively easy with a donor pair of shocks. I have a picture in my gallery of a rear extension design I fashioned after some Tristar Eric made.

The combination is fantastic, firm but not harsh. The wallowing I experienced with the Bilstiens is gone, and the van tracks well. It took some fine tuning, but all is well afterwards.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
a larger front Whiteline sway bar, and added a rear Addco bar to balance things out.

Where did you find the Whiteline Sway Bar? Thanks.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive some vans with different setups.
Suspension feel is subjective and many online descriptions don't match the general consensus.
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
Bump!

Could anybody chime in with what shocks they're running on combination with the GW lift-springs, and if you're happy with the results?

Thank you!

1.5" GW lift springs, HD Bilstein Shocks, 16" GW alloys, and Michelin Defender tires = HEAVEN

Its like riding on glass.
Higher ride has been nice for ground clearance camping
Saved $ on my Subaru conversion because I didn't need to buy a shortened oil pan since my gnd clearance was high enough
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: