Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Disc Brake Comparison
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:07 pm    Post subject: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I am trying to determine which Vanagon Rear Disc Brake kit to purchase and use. I guess my decision is now between Smallcar's and Burley's.

GoWesty's has a proprietary rotor so I'm not really interested I don't think. However, this kit seems to have robust adapters and same calipers as Burley's.

Smallcar's uses a vented rotor like on their front big brakes which I have, and that seems good to me. However their adapter looks less robust than Burleys or GoWesty's. Burley's looks to have the beefiest adapter.

Burley's will be a fair bit more expensive but I can live with that on such an important part. ($1200 + shipping + axle stub turning) I'm in Seattle and know the way to Smallcar - and they will swap out axle stubs for machined ones (free). Therefore it is maybe $1400 vs $800.

I looked for old threads and could not find a good clear conclusive comparison of the latest iterations of each vendor's offering.

...or is it a waste of money replacing drum brakes with disc brakes. Will disc brakes really perform better?

I do need to do something as my current drum brakes are needing attention and I'd fully rebuild them now if I keep them.

Thanks for any informed opinions.[/b]

Last edited by gertiebob on Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

personally l am not sure it's necessary, lots of folk want.

619 201 0310
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

i have the stock brake system. One day, I'll upgrade to front discs to decrease the possibility of fade. I know that bigger brakes does not mean more stopping power. It's same stopping power, but for longer.
As for the rear brakes, they are big enough for me.

I had a 2003 Pontiac Vibe, basically a Toyota Corolla. Much lighter than the van. Compared to the van, the front rotors of the Vibe were roughly the same size (which makes me thing the van could use bigger front rotors). The rear drums were way smaller though. Makes me think the Vanagon rotors are just fine.

You will, and should, get opinions from people who have installed rear brakes, Look for objective opinions that avoid the confirmation bias. Not many people (myself included) find it easy to admit they spent one or two grand and 10 hours on a mod that is in the end pointless.
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I will admit that most of the rave reviews and claims are from the vendors!

I do, however, hate drum brakes (on Vanagons, anyway). I've had three Vanagons and each has had a pulsating brake issue from time to time due to the rear brakes. I've had to loosen/wiggle+whack/re-tighten the drums and adjust to a slight drag to solve. My current brakes are hopeless but need changing anyway.

I do not remember this problem with VW buses and I owned a few of those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danielheff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

My opinion is based on only one experience because I’ve only done this conversion once. But I went with the burley brakes because of the long term availability, and widespread distribution of parts. I could get a new rotor or pads anywhere in the country. The parking brake holds better than I was ever able to get the stock brakes to hold and I fully rebuilt my drum setup with all brand new parts, and still changed to Burley’s kit.

Also I’m not a die hard for his stuff, I have small car’s front big brakes because I didn’t want to upgrade my spindle. Stopping power comes mostly from the front, but I have so much more confidence in the parking brake now. I have about 6k miles on them.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

After the Svx install the stock setup cant handle the extra mass/inertia. Fukin spooky in traffic.
The SA setup covers that,
Who provides the equivelent bolt up option?
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Epytec ships to us now. Look at their options too.

If you want to test drive my westy with the Epytec brackets and T4 brakes, (same as Burley) you are welcome too. I'm near the north end of lk wa.
vanagondan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Danny from SCP here. Our rear brake caliper mount is made of 3/8” mild steel. It’s not going anywhere or deforming. We’ve been using the same mount for years without issue. I don’t have a metric for you on stopping power or braking force but I am working on a write up for our brakes where I’ll compile that data. So, keep an eye out for that early next month.
MartinJS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Started driving in the '70's when many drum brake vehicles were still around. Drum brakes work great until they get hot then they can fade rapidly and dangerously on long steep downhill sections. I've experienced it.

I installed the Burley front and rear discs due to the availability of replacement parts and the reported efficacy of the hand brake (it is excellent).

Also, I wanted rear discs because I drive in the mountains and don't want my rear brakes fading on what is a pretty heavy vehicle. Yes fronts do most of the work but rears contribute to stopping distance significantly. Also, discs are just less trouble and maintenance than drums.

I had my van on the Coquihalla Hwy from Kamloops to Vancouver last year which has some very long steep downhills (miles and miles in places). I have experienced dangerous and scary brake fade on that road in the past. No fade with my Burley set up. Worth every penny if you drive in the mountains.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Good to hear about the handbrake. Most of the stuff I've read on the forum indicates bad handbrakes with the rear disc.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Like others have said, the rear disc brake appeal is not from better performance, but indeed from ease of service and possibly parking brake.

It's becoming a PITA to work on drums these days for most people. I get used to it bc I work on Vanagons daily, but drums now need to be turned to be round, it takes times to adjust the parking brake correctly, shits often beat up or rusty etc....

I keep drums on my vans, I service customers vans but for DIY people, hell yeah, go to disc brakes...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Does anyone know what caliper and rotor SCP is using in their rear disc kit?

Rear vented is a nice addition, but if it is a "car" caliper it is less intriguing.
So far it seems everyone is reporting the T4 Eurovan caliper is up to the task.
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

I redid my stock brakes somewhat recently so I'm set for awhile but I agree with Alika. It wasn't easy to get the drums dialed in and I had to have my mechanic turn the new drums and adjust them to get it right. Next time I'll consider going to discs.
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Hi,

I have installed burley rear brake kit with smallcar front kit in a Carat along with a BMW booster and it's the best brakes I have experienced in a Vanagon. I went with Smallcar front because I wanted to double piston caliper ( G60 ).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm pretty sure Burley's kit is T4 rear calipers, the handbrake is super strong and smooth to use, make the handbrake feels like a modern car. Burley's mounting bracket is massive, maybe a bit too much Smile but wow this is a serious piece of steel, this mounting bracket is also zinc bichromate so no chance of rusting.

The Gowesty option is appealing because it's still a T4 caliper and the price is much lower but they always seems to be out of stock on those kits.
dublife13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

mathieux46 wrote:
Hi,
The Gowesty option is appealing because it's still a T4 caliper and the price is much lower but they always seems to be out of stock on those kits.

I wanted to purchase their rear brake this last weekend during the sitewide sale, but it was out of stock. Magically instock the day after the sale ended. Will probably end up with the burley or small car rear kit to compliment the small car kit I have up front. I think I’ll be adding the the bmw booster at that time as well.
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Hi bublife13,

I strongly suggest you install a BMW booster, this is one of the best upgrade I can think of in a vanagon, gives you much smooter feels and give the impression of more bite in the brakes. I did it with the dash installed, it's not super fun but it can be done in an evening so totally worth the time & effort. I also replaced the master cylinder while at it.

These BMW booster are sometimes available new at Rockauto for 140$ CAD, bought one for another van last week. Just search for an 86 325 BMW. Do not wait if you see it available because these seems to come and go and most often being not available and good used ones on ebay are crazy expensive...

Thanks

Mathieu
Jake59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

If you make it over to the Wet Westy Marymoor Park Meet up tomorrow, I am sure there will be vans with all sorts of combinations of front and rear disc brake systems.
I will be there with my DYI Audi A4 front brakes and am in the same boat as needing to do a rear brake work. with the same questions replace or replace with an upgrade.

Past Rides: 62 (23 window) Bus, 64 Ghai convertable, 68 single cab, 72 Super Bettle, 78 Bay window Bus, 84 GTI.
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

Converted to rear discs and never looked back
Would do it to any and all future vanagons
Rear discs
gertiebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

space wrote:

You did not mention a flavor???
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Disc Brake Comparison Reply with quote

gertiebob wrote:
space wrote:

You did not mention a flavor???

Was cobbled together using caliper brackets from a vendor here
I believe Audi rotors, and calipers (its been awhile)

If you want all the parts and vendors pm me and I will hunt them down
T
Rear discs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: