Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westy demi-god
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

I can't believe that everyone is not running these beauties. They are Continentals. Years ago when I needed something a little better than the lame passenger tires my '68 camper came with. Everyone was steering me toward light truck tires that weren't exactly the right size. Then I called the Tire Rack (1-888-541-1777), and they told me about the Continental CR21, size 185-14 which is a blackwall radial with reinforced sidewalls made especially for VW transporter variants. They're only $50 each and are super! I highly recommend them.

Pooh
VWSurvival
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

Sure Pooh. When I can get the proper tires for under $40, well... See post on related subject below.

Mike!
westy demi-god
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

Hmmm...Let's see. I could get proper tires for my Jetta - 205-45-16's - for $65 each, yet I chose to pay $95 each for Yokohama Paradas. Why? Because the Yokes are better tires. (Duh.) Why buy Contis instead of something called Signets? Come on, man. I don't believe you asked me that question. Obvious answer: You get what you pay for.

Pooh
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

... but sometimes you pay for more than you need. Apples to apples, if size, speed rating, and warranty coverage are all the same, is a name brand worth the extra clams? I've seen guys spend hundreds of dollars more for name-brand, "z" rated tires, for a vehicle with a top speed of 100 mph- it's overkill.
westy demi-god
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

You can enjoy your signets, buddy. But, if I were going to buy a tire for a vehicle that transports my family, I'm going to pay the $50.00 (small price) for the reputation of the well-known company. An untimely blowout in a stock bus could be disasterous. The things don't have a lot of safety equipment, you know. Ultimately a few bucks spent in the interest of safety is not a vice. It brings to mind Michelin's ad campaign - "Because so much is riding on your tires." But, go ahead and enjoy those signets.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

Ask a ford explorer owner how safe "brand name' firestone tires are. Marketing doesn't always equal safety, and just to further muddy the waters, a large number of "off-brand" tires are made by companies like firestone/bridgestone, pirelli, and yes, michelin. just like a dewalt power tool is essentially just a black and decker with a yellow body... and a higher sticker.
westy demi-god
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

OK. Now your argument is getting a bit rediculous. Don't even get me started on SUV's or the idiots who drive those POS's. From what I've read, the design of the Ford Explorer had just as much to do with the rollover problem as the tires did. And, the fact that the oblivious soccer moms who drove them were too busy using their off-roaders to cart the kids from school to soccer to shopping centers to check the air in their tires had something to do with the mishaps as well. You know, an underinflated tire can blow out when stressed with a good side load. A good argument could be made that Firestone was not at fault at all. Rather, Ford was successful in shifting the blame to Firestone to try and save the reputation of one of their best-sellers. And, just because Dewalts might be made by Black and Decker, it does not logically follow that they are the same internally as Black and Deckers. They are made to Dewalt's specs - whatever those are. I have experience with Contis - not with Signets. I have experience with no-name tires made by Kelley Springfield on my Jetta - they delaminated prematurely causing them to be out of round. So, they were cheaper, but they didn't last as long meaning that I had to buy tires sooner. Conclusion: I saved no money. Look, we could go on and on. You could make a small-minded objection and I could come along and knock it down. Until you find a job that allows you to buy the best, go ahead and take a risk on those Signets. It's OK, really. I'll be sportin' Contis or Michelins - whatevers available at the top end. Oh, yeah. Those KYB gas-a-just shocks I put on my bus were a little more expensive than Sears easyriders, but they made one hell of a difference in the way my bus rode. Kendall Oil??!! That stuff is is damn near $2.00 a quart!!?? Well, you can get Flag oil down at Schuck's for $1.19. That's a substantial savings!! Get the picture?
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

As I said earlier, , on an apples to apples basis, comparing size, speed rating, warranty, etc., why pay more for a brand name. the key phrase is apples to apples. sometimes cheaper is cheaper... sometimes not. I have never tried or heard of signets, but, hypothetically, if the rating and size were correct, and the warranty was comparable to your continentals, and they were a few bucks cheaper, then that may appeal to some. "Until i get a job that allows me to buy the best"? If you are so much better off than me, why is it you can only afford to take "cheap" shots? j/k.
westy demi-god
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

I think my observations are pretty clever, and I'm proud of them. I had to laugh when I read your connection between "cheap" tires, my well-off status, and my so-called "cheap" shots. Touche'!! You're getting the hang of it. I think the point here is that I'm not going to change your mind and you're not going to change mine. I was brought up to buy the best "whatever" that I can afford so I am not constantly having regrets - you know, "Geez, I wish I would've saved my money a little longer and bought that instead of this." To me, $60 on a set of tires is not going to break the bank, and if the purchase of Contis is going to make me feel better than taking a calculated risk on the Signets, I'll buy the Contis. No regrets. But you, you go with the Signets. Like I've said before, it's your decision and you have to live with it. As for cheap shots, If I'm in need of a little amusement during a long day at work, I'll take some harmless jabs. For all I know, you make way more than I do. That may not keep you from being cheap, though. You've made some points that some may consider valid. I don't. But, I enjoy a good debate. I'm sure others have and will read our exchange, and they'll have some things to consider when buying tires or anything else for their VW. I say, "do your research, rely on your own experience and that of others, then go with the best you can reasonably afford." For my money where tires for the Bus were concerned, the best were Contis.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

This must be a first here... an adult debate where two parties can agree to disagree, and no one goes down in flames. Bottom line is, this is a hobby where at one end of the spectrum you have people just trying to keep their daily drivers on the road,as safely as possible without depriving their families of food and diapers, and then there are guys who won't do anything less than a perfect 98 point resto, or must have the right NOS BRM wheels. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, and there are more than one "right" opinion on most of the subjects that get discussed here. My thinking is, the more info that is put out here, the more opinions that are expressed, the easier it becomes for someone to make the decisions about what they need. If nothing else, maybe we provide someone with some good entertainment. I do agree with you on one point you make- buy the best tires, engine parts, old bus, whatever, that you can afford. I'm a firm believer that if you do the research, you "buy right, cry once."
ChrisM181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

bljones, you think after all the arguments you are involved in on this forum, you could have at least e-mailed me and told me that you are not interested in that thing gas heater, or even to tell me to stick it up my ass, not that I care but, I blew off some other e-mails waiting for your reply, I would think a VW expert such as yourself would want to stay on good terms with people that just might posses parts or even knowledge that you, believe it or not might not have, it is OK I am just going to sell it at the VWOA show and swap in June. You never know when you might need something, I would have given you that heater and $400 for that beam, but now that you told me how much you think the heaters are worth, you obviously do not want to pay that much, no hard feelings, it is just you have so much to say on the forum, but when it comes down to the real deal you do not have much to say, I just feel that you think you are the VW guru, but you spend to all your energy on arguments about BS Lets talk about something interesting, you pick, any VW, any forum, I have VWS from 60's, 70's,80's and 90's. Guys like you and me should be talking in the thing forum, how is your thing doing anyway?
ChrisM181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

Westydemi-god, right on about the Ford Exploders! I call them exploders, I work at a shop that services mostly domestic cars, We do more Ford Explorer and Ranger roll over jobs than oil changes! I find it funny that your average dumbass person look's at a type2 and thinks that it is top heavy and can roll easy but little do they know that there grocery getter/suv will roll before a wheel on my bus would even leave the ground. Speaking of buses I posted a message for you on the "Hey David 71 baywindow" thread right below this one scope it out.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

Chris- when I e-mailed you that the beam was no longer available, you seemed to lose interest in moving your gas heater. You asked me what i thought it was worth, and, not having seen it, I gave you a price range. I got a reply from you on Feb 20 with "the type 1 and 2 heaters i have i'd like $100-$200 for, the thing heater a little more because, you know..." but no firm asking price on the thing heater.. i sent you a reply on Mar1 that I was putting heater on backburner, but would be looking later in the spring... and the mail came back. Was your e-mail down?
I am no "VW expert", just a guy with opinions, and maybe even a little knowledge picked up along the way. As far as "staying on good terms" with people, i agree. that is why I don't diss anyone without getting my facts straight.
As far as my 181 goes, it is coming- i have a May 1 target to have it finished.
ChrisM181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

bljones, oh man, I honestly did not receive that e-mail, I am sorry for being a smart ass, to tell you the truth I am more interested in conversation than selling parts, but I totally respect waiting till spring, in fact I am going to wait for spring unload my extra thing stuff, I think I am going to pull my add off of this site because I am sketchy about buying or selling parts over the Internet to people far away, I would not really want to buy something without seeing it myself, how far are you from the Detroit area, because the Michigan vintage VW show is coming up, in Auburn Hills at the VW of America headquarters, it is a great show and swap , I always get a swap space and sell all of my excess parts, I just figured I would try to get like $220 or something for that heater, I want to get what they are worth because I foolishly have sold a couple other heaters for dirt cheap a couple summers ago, but I am really more interested in trading for stuff that I need, I am all about "you scratch my back and IÆll scratch yours" kind of deals , especially when we both have things and both have thing parts, My thing is totally complete except for the fact that it does not have the right beam, I also am missing the 2 support arms that bolt on to the gussets off the shock towers, do you still have any of those? I bought all those thing parts 2 things ago, now I have a keeper and do not need most of the extra thing stuff, I also have parts for most other models, I pretty much do not know all the stuff I have, my family has been into VWS since the fifties, we should talk in the thing forum, meet you over there.
ChrisM181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

Bljones, I know you do not have the beam, I was just talking about the support arms, I bugged you enough about that beam, you can not blame me for trying, your price was reasonable and those damn beams are hard to find!
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

chris- all is cool- no harm, no foul. I do have the supports, and i could meet you in windsor with them. I also have some other stuff, that i am looking to trade for stuff i need. keep in touch , dude. You are right, those beams are hard to find- i wish i had five more of them!!
VWSurvival
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: These are THE tire for your stock 14" bus rims Reply with quote

The bus is a very safe vehicle. I have had "blow-outs" (not with these tires, back in the bias-ply days) and had not a whit of trouble. $40 tires will always win when the battle is for a regular daily driver car. My race-car..... Well, those aren't so bad either!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: These are THE tire for your stock 14 Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162278
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: These are THE tire for your stock 14 Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162278

15 years! this one could have stayed dead.
edit- Hazetguy, 4X 15yo tire threads! Necromancer!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: