Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

starting problem - air lock....
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: starting problem - air lock.... Reply with quote

Two weeks ago rebuilt the fuel pump and stripped and cleaned the carb. Ran good. Took it out today and ran good, left running for 15 mins, no probelms. When I tried to start it 30 mins later wouldnt start for love nor money. Checked points gap and spark, all good still didnt start . Took the fuel line off and got wife to turn over engine again (dont try this at home Laughing ). Started straight up, wacked fuel line back and ran perfect. Starts first time everytime now!!! Is it possible to have an air lock? Does it sound like an air lock? maybe there was some blockage? What are your thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you rebuilt the pump did you pre load diaphram per bentley?

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that happen from 2 different things:
1. Air bubble in the fuel pump, I had to prime the fuel pump to get it going. This was immediately after a fuel pump rebuild though so it didn't work from the start.
2. Blockage at the gas tank outlet which would manifest only when the Bus sat for a while so all the junk sank to the bottom. Clean tank out, install new fuel sock, everything ok.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, what do you mean by pre load diaphram and prime fuel pump?

many thanks

RIch
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-load:
There is a tool that sets the load on the pump while you assemble it.
More info here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=226300

By prime I mean I removed the outlet fuel line and let the fuel pump pump until fuel came out. This cleared the pump itself of any internal air bubbles.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Pre-load:
There is a tool that sets the load on the pump while you assemble it.
More info here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=226300

By prime I mean I removed the outlet fuel line and let the fuel pump pump until fuel came out. This cleared the pump itself of any internal air bubbles.

Thanks Everett I never new any of this! You learn something new everyday! Thanks again, Rich
60 doubledoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: 36 hp fuel pump Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. After beating me head against the 36 hp for a while now I finally have her runnin'. She's been sleeping for nearly 14 years. The homemade tool for assisting in the installation of the fuel pump diaphragm worked perfectly. Instantly a host of bizarre issues were resolved and the engine came to life. Soon the '60 doubledoor will be on the road. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: