Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mid America Motorworks (MAM) - mamotorworks.com
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: mid america Reply with quote

I was coming home from vacation and blindly found their warehouse and museum by accident. I have to say they were a bunch of the nicest guys you would ever want to deal with. Answered all my questions and I never felt like I was being rushed. Took the time to walk me around the museum to see some pretty great cars. And even bought a few hard to find items of very good quality. Jeff
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnR wrote:
It's great to see you here on TheSamba, Richard. I'm sure you understand that OEVeeDub had a stellar reputation for quality (and prices too, IMO). Based on comments and stories here, I'd say MAMW has a less-than-stellar reputation, having fallen since it was Rocky Mountain Motorworks. It seems they "cheaped out" on parts, dropping the more expensive top-quality parts.

Anyway, I am very happy to know you are setting things straight at MAMW. It would be great to see clear explanations on all parts, or at least anything described as OEM, describing the country of production and the manufacturer if possible (e.g. ATE). The more information, the better. And honest descriptions like "just like OEM" or "ok quality, but this is the best available" will help foster a better sense of trust with MAMW over time.

Mid America was never Rocky Mountain, they bought them out a few years ago.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MidAmericaMotorworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Join Mid America Motorworks on Facebook Reply with quote

Mid America Motorworks has two Facebook fan pages:
www.facebook.com/midamotorworks
www.facebook.com/aircooledvws

We invite you to Like our fan pages. We currently have about 3,000 fans, with several VW fan pages added to our Favorites.

On our VW fan page, we share new products and weekly specials, link to industry-related videos, have lots of DIY's that enjoy asking questions, showing photos and sharing stories of their projects.

We also post up-to-date event information, including Funfest for Air-Cooled VW. Our Calendar tab includes various VW Club event listings, in addition to Mid America Motorworks events.

Check us out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta chime in on this thread, as probably 30-40% of my car has left MAM/RMMW's warehouse. I got my bug in "96. At that time my father and I knew nothing of the vee-dub scene, and being from MA had no clue about all the Cali part places. The guy who sold me the car gave us a Rocky Mountain catalog and thats where it all began. When RMMW was bought out I just went along with the transition, but MAM got noticibly worse with their parts selection over time, restocking with garbage. They often are out of stock on things i need as well. That being said, I have bought fenders, complete heater channels, seals, electric switches, hood, decklid, and ots of interior odds and ends from them. Shipping is FASTER from them here on the east coast than from WW or any other Cali parts house. My stuff is usually here in 2-3 days. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE ORDERING and weigh your optioons. Personally I don't think their staff is all that knowledgeable, so you have to be. Example- I just ordered a plastic glove box from them and I asked the guy on the phone if there was already a place for the hood release cable or if it needed to be drilled. He couldn't tell me but took the 50/50 guess and said it probably needed to be drilled. I said fine. It arrived and the holes were there already, glove box fit great, went right in. My point is don't get angry when you yourself don't know much about what you're ordering. ASK as many questions as you can think up and if they can't answer you call somewhere else before plunking down your hard earned cash. Typically I know exactly what I need and if they have it in stock, and the price isn't that much higher (its always higher) than other places I go ahead and order it. Their catalogs are nice and shiny but are about 25% clothes, tacky stuff out of a 1998 JC Whitney catalog, and repeat listings (oil pressure switch in no less than 4 spots) and they won't stop sending them to you. In all these years I have NEVER returned anything to them. Even my BOCAR carb I bought ten years+ ago is still in my car running great. People are gonna call shenanigans on me I just know it, but I think i might just be the luckiest patron of cheap parts ever!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
helix149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Crappy mam once again Reply with quote

Ok so heres the story... I ordered
1 GEAR SEAT COVERS TAN
1 Chromoly Billet Steel Gland Nut with Washer
1 Torque Multiplier Kit, for Gland and Axle Nuts
1 Heavy Duty Gear Seat Cover (Camo Green)
1 Engine Flywheel Lock Tool
1 single port intake manifold

At 2 AM on friday morning I made and paid for my order totaling over $300 they didnt bother to ship any of it till monday (rep says because of vw show in parking lot fedex could not get truck in. How the hell do you not ship on a friday because of a car show YOU PLANNED) wed it shows up and the seat covers are not what was pictured on the site, the gland nut is not the standard 36mm so useless with the $80 tool I just bought and the intake manifold is scratched to hell with paint missing in several areas... how the hell these people stay in business is lost on me. All they will get from me in the future is a big thumbs down unless they bend over backwards when I call to return 3 of the 6 items I bought because they were not as described, pictured, or standard size and they didnt bother to note it
helix149
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Update on order Reply with quote

Just recieved a phone call from a rep with mid america and I have to say I am impressed.... they have offered to send a return label for the tan set of seat covers that I cannot use along with offering a gift certificate towards future purchase for part of the cost of the green set of seat covers AND refund the gland nut in full. I have to say I am impressed and due to that phone call and how they handled the situation I WILL be doing further business with them as in my opinion mistakes happen its how you handle them that makes the difference. +1 for mid america in my book currently
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuncacat wrote:
I am new here. Although, I wish I had scoured old threads on Mid America Motorworks.

I purchased some wheels from Mid America Motorworks. I know somebody that ordered a part from them, and was satisfied. So, I foolishly placed my order with them

From the old threads, it seems that Mid America Motorworks engages in misleading advertising, does not stand behind their products, and sells Chinese crap as "OE reproduction."

I purchased the wheels, with the understanding that they were "OE Reproduction" so that I could use them with my original VW hub caps.

Ad here:

http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/painted-steel-wheel-4-lug-15x-55-each_106265/

The wheels are for a driver, so I did not care that they were not German.
here is Mid America Motorwork's definition of "reproduction":

Reproduction Part. A reproduction of the original part. Made to fit, work, look and finish as the original. Examples Of REP Use: Daily Driver

http://www.mamotorworkstv.com/vw/product/oem-steel-wheel-4-lug-4-5x15-353018/

The wheels arrived and I had the tires mounted a few weeks later. The original VW caps do not fit. Not even close. While the wheels appear to be "OE reproductions", they are most certainly not.

I have phoned customer service several times to rectify the issue. But, each time I call, I am told that a manager will need to settle the matter. And, a manager never calls back.

There are scores of complaints out there on Mid America Motorworks, many of them dealing with misleading advertising and taking the money and running. There are some BBB complaints:

http://www.bbb.org/stlouis/business-reviews/auto-p...complaints

I also discovered that Mid America Motorworks is being sued for patent infringement by TMI. It seems that Mid America Motorworks is being accused of lifting the design of "their" center consoles.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/109042997/TMI-Products-v-MID-America-Motorworks

It is obvious that I am getting nowhere with customer service, so I have also filed a complaint with the BBB.

Has anyone here had a similar experience with Mid America Motorworks?

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scores of complaints?

5 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 4 closed in last 12 months

Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints

Advertising / Sales Issues 2
Delivery Issues 1
Problems with Product / Service 2
Billing / Collection Issues 0
Guarantee / Warranty Issues 0
Total Closed Complaints 5
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fignewton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't say scores of BBB complaints.

It just listed some of them. Besides the BBB is a joke anyway, they are outdated and noone cares.

The complaints on these boards mean more to me by far.

MAM, is the last choice for anything Volkswagen for me.

Sell crap products with crap customer service. I'll by my Chinese made
Parts elsewhere and be further ahead for it.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed in their last parts cat. that they are starting to list some classic OG VW parts and some original VW accessories. In my mind that's a good step in the right direction. Personally, I buy all my VW parts from Wolfsburg West but I am not going to complain about a company that tries to improve themselves to compete. Personally, I am rooting for these guys to bring some realistic competition to the ACVW parts landscape.
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I bought some window seal and components along with brand new door handles.

Long story short: window seals were ok and the door handles broke the 1st time I tried to lock them.

However, the customer service was good because they sent a replacement set of handles when the others broke. (Even though 3 sets broke before a set finally lasted.)

Customer service: good
Parts quality: eh
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased a pair of Air Cooled VW Cabriolet ReInforcement Rails for my 1964 Beetle. Lighting fast Delivery (3 Days). European Danish Klokkerholm rails. Very happy with purchase and the rails are on my car and the difference is amazing. Thanks MAM! Applause
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MidAmericaMotorworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2true,

Mid America Motorworks is constantly trying to improve our parts offerings and we're so glad that you were pleased with the entire experience! Thanks!

2true wrote:
Purchased a pair of Air Cooled VW Cabriolet ReInforcement Rails for my 1964 Beetle. Lighting fast Delivery (3 Days). European Danish Klokkerholm rails. Very happy with purchase and the rails are on my car and the difference is amazing. Thanks MAM! Applause
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered from MAM once or twice and got my stuff rather quickly. However, most of the parts I need they are always out of stock or are on back order and would take several months. So I don't order from them most of the time. But the products I have gotten from them weren't that terrible of quality. If they had more of what I needed in stock I would order from them more often.
CHERRY'S
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: thanks www.oeveedub.com Reply with quote

thanks www.oeveedub.com
for the pieces BEST SELLER!!

A+++
10+++

I bought from him 22.72$ in pieces!!!

FANTASTIC COMUNICATION!!!
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered from MAM several times. Always gets to my door very fast and haven't received a part that was in poor quality yet. I like MAM because they usually have some miscellaneous parts that I get tired of searching for with other companies search engine. Although yes a lot of the time parts are on back order, you only get charged for shipping in the main order. So over all satisfied and I do not hesitate to order from MAM when I need something.
bugpartslou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for a response on why I was charged tax and shipping for a swap space for the Bugfest, normally great service, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugpartslou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle took care of this 3 hours after I posted here. Thanks!
daisy71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: My luck with MAM Reply with quote

I got my 71 super beetle a month or two ago and have been using Mid America motorworks to get my parts, and let me tell you I have had nothing but problems! First problem I had was replacing the brake lines, I bought a front brake kit which had some lines some hoses and the brake cylinders, and what happened, the front brake line going from the T to the brake hose was to short. To make the damn thing fit i needed to make up a bracket to hold the T in place so it didn't loosen and leak when the car was driving. I called them up and they sent me a longer line, at least they tried. Now what happened today is what made me really mad. Now first I would like to say that the catalogue I am using is the newest one they have sent me. I ordered two tie rod ends and the center linkage, this cost me about $130 which may not seem like a lot but I don't have money or time to waste. I ordered the parts and they came pretty quick which was good. I open the box and I have 2 tie rod ends and a idler arm bushing. When I called they said there is a mistake in the book and that I should have looked online. I hate their website because it is hard to find stuff, I prefer the catalouge. To ad more fuel to this fire the center linkage isn't even the price it says in the book, in the book t says it is $48 but the real part is over $80, so they charge me full price for that for that, which in my mind should have been sent cheaper or at least a bit cheaper for the hassle and inconvenience of it, I planned to go to a car show with it but now I cant because my parts fir my front end wont be here in time. So what did I learn from this? I LEARNED THAT MID AMERICA CANT READ THERE OWN DAMN CATALOUGE AND DON'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OF THERE MISTAKES! I should have learned from my father who has 2 corvettes and wont order from them after they sent him wrong parts too!
Dub Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im about to order a set of 4 bus axel boots for $20 and main engine bearings. wish me luck yall
71 411 one owner all original flood victim
74 412 slowly putting back together
78 Champagne II sunroof
85 Vanagon previous DD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: