Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Instrument cluster with LEDs??
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, mine has a different icon. Incedentally, under my horizontal icon, I can see a vertically orientated icon! Weird!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my original headlight switch had a different icon also. I did notice the odd icon over a icon that you saw as well. My old switch was 23 years old and the icon was barely readable so it was a good excuse to buy a new switch anyways.
vwgrl1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, dangit. Now I have to go out and see if the brand new headlight switch in my Van (just replaced it about 2 months ago) has the black or white panel behind the icon.

<<Hoping for white, but not holding her breath.

Thanks for the write up and pictures, syncrodoka.
Past VW's:
1980 Westy
1971 Beetle
1974 Super Beetle
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered that part from GoWesty and they sent me a totally different holder,

Instead of a bayonet socket, they sent me the fog light/automatic shifter bulb holder 437-919-039 :
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3588&search_phrase=437-919-039&start=

I still need the socket the other sockets, but question is, is there another location for the fog light holder that I can use it at? I have a manual tranny and no fog lights!

syncrodoka wrote:
I actually walked in and asked for the part and that is what they gave me. They don't have the part in the online store as far as I can tell. GoWesty has the part for about $5
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3587&search_phrase=bulb&start=
They are found in the rabbit/golf convertibles '79-'93, early jettas through '84 and all sciroccos as well if someone wanted to get the part through the auto wreckers. $5 for a new part is a lot easier than digging through a junk yard though.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That part doesn't have any other application in a vanagon other than those listed. A call to GoWesty on monday will probably have the right part going your way soon. Good luck.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a LED cig. lighter light from superbrightleds today on your remommendation. It looks well built and it bright enough for it's size. Is the black plastic "fit clip" included needed or should I chuck it? It says that it is needed for charging in 12v. accesory sockets.
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I bought a pair of the BA9s-WHP6 in warm white to replace the licence plate bulbs. They are brighter, show a better white(less yellow) and look good. I tried them in the side marker location but they were too bright and showed white not red. BTW if you cut the side marker ground and tie it to the turn signal pulse of the tail light the side marker will blink opposite of the taillight when the lights are on. When the lights are off they do nothing just like normal.

Hey syncrodoka,

All I can find for the bulb you mention above is a cool white, here's what the site says:

"BA9s-WHP6-12V Bayonet Base Bulb
12 Volt 9mm miniature bayonet base bulb 6 High Power Cool White LEDs
12 Volt AC/DC, 360 Viewing Angle
$ 4.95"

Is this what you used?
I'd like to order a couple, but these seem like they might be really bright for the license plate lights, no?

thanks!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those are the ones that I used. I bought them in warm white but it looks like they only have them in cool white right now. They are not too bright on my truck and they are more white than a standard bulb. I definately prefer these over stock bulbs. When I replaced the bulb I had to replace one of the clear plastic covers because it was a little melted- this will not be a problem with the LEDS.
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine didn't come with a 'fit clip'. I don't know if they changed the design or not.

Anyway, it fits loosely in the charger socket, and more importantly, it doesn't cause a short and blow up the fuse like the Bosch light (or torch as they say in the UK).

And one word of warning, when plugged in, the red led charging lamp is always on, whether the light is fully charged or not. It is a very low draw, but if you store your van for months, just take out the led light from the socket.

Mine has never discharged the battery, and I only usually drive on the weekends.

syncrodoka wrote:
I got a LED cig. lighter light from superbrightleds today on your remommendation. It looks well built and it bright enough for it's size. Is the black plastic "fit clip" included needed or should I chuck it? It says that it is needed for charging in 12v. accesory sockets.
vwgrl1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinbassplayer wrote:
The light in the heater controls is a different story, a real pain. I had to modify a different led into the vw base by cutting the plastic base and soldering the led in, but I managed to break one of those also and then cracked the plastic of the heater faceplate in the process. I took pic's of all this to do a write up but haven't had time yet, I'll try to get them posted.

I'm getting ready to do this (all of my interior bulbs, actually) and would really appreciate any pics you might have on how you did the heater control lights. I was poking around in there today and discovered that one on my lights behind the heater controls is just hanging loose!? (with a burnt out bulb in it)
Past VW's:
1980 Westy
1971 Beetle
1974 Super Beetle
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the ashtray and your stereo to get to the heater control llight. Either that or the dash board (both are easy if you have done it before.)

You can also get to the lighter bulb if you pull the ashtray as well.

Speaking of the lighter bulb, I got the GoWesty receptacles and my lighter has only one feed (power), and the ground is a special tab that feeds into the cigarette lighter element body. Are all lighters like this?

Or did the later vans come with 2 prong bulb receptacle like the HVAC control lighting?
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add this.
I tried a few different BA9 bulbs for the license plate lights and rear side markers and finally settled on the following. thanks for everyone else's info.

license plate lights- BA9s Bulbs with High Power LED
The bulbs were a little harder to get into the base but they give off the perfect amount of light.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rear side markers- BA9s-R4 Red LED bulb
the ones with one led(90 degree and 120 degree just didn't look right but these 4 led red one's work for me.

driver's side overhead light- High Power 3-LED Festoon bulb- 4210whp3
Some folks have gone with the 6 led bulb here but that is a little too bright for me.

With a quick soldering job I was able to change out the bulb and base for the kitchen light in the westy with this Festoon Base bulb Socket and the same 4210 festoon bulb from above.

instrument cluster lights- B8.3D-x Instrument LED bulb

82 Diesel Westy
vwgrl1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Samba! So many generous VW-lovin' folks. This site is truly a fantastic place and the people here are great as well.

Finally got around to replacing my old (mostly burnt out) bulbs with the leds I bought from superbrightleds. The dash lights look fantastic, I'm so happy with it! (The hubby is even in love with the new look of the dash! Score!) I am having a problem with the bulb behind the clock...I know it's polarized so when it didn't work the first time, I took it out and turned it around...still no worky. Any ideas?

I also bought leds to replace the rear side markers. I started on the passenger side, the first screw broke. "No problem" I think "there's still one more." The second one broke too! So now I have a side marker hanging loose on my passenger side and both screws broken off in the holes! I tried to drill them out, but that doesn't seem to be doing me any good (I actually broke a small drill bit trying to get it out). Any ideas on what else I could try? Anyone? Please? I'm at my wits end and I need to use the Van this weekend to do a catering job! Thanks in advance.
Past VW's:
1980 Westy
1971 Beetle
1974 Super Beetle
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwgrl1999 wrote:
Any ideas on what else I could try? Anyone? Please? I'm at my wits end and I need to use the Van this weekend to do a catering job! Thanks in advance.

See what you can get at from the other side. If you get into the engine bay, those are at the base of the fresh air intakes on either side. You should be able to see the screw tips still poking in, and there might be enough to grab with some pliers of some sort.

Good luck.
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would post a pic of the HIGH power leds from superbrightleds.com

I bought 3, one for each of the bays. I didn't worry about the clock as mine isn't working.

B8.3D-xHP Blue $2.59 each (Scroll about halfway down the page)

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR&next=50#

keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are new to me, and they seem brighter than the regular (see bottom photo)

1991VanagonCarat wrote:
Thought I would post a pic of the HIGH power leds from superbrightleds.com

I bought 3, one for each of the bays. I didn't worry about the clock as mine isn't working.

B8.3D-xHP Blue $2.59 each (Scroll about halfway down the page)

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR&next=50#

Santana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, this is a newer bulb that superbright is offering. I bought some of the original and the high powered to do a comparison. The high powered ones are a little bit brighter and have a richer blue color. They are both very nice, but I decided on the high power as I liked the rich blue.
vwgrl1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbx wrote:
vwgrl1999 wrote:
Any ideas on what else I could try? Anyone? Please? I'm at my wits end and I need to use the Van this weekend to do a catering job! Thanks in advance.

See what you can get at from the other side. If you get into the engine bay, those are at the base of the fresh air intakes on either side. You should be able to see the screw tips still poking in, and there might be enough to grab with some pliers of some sort.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Past VW's:
1980 Westy
1971 Beetle
1974 Super Beetle
vwgrl1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those high powered leds are nice!

I finally got those danged screws out and now have the led bulbs in place on my rear side markers. (thanks for the help all) Looks good. Good, cheap upgrade.
Past VW's:
1980 Westy
1971 Beetle
1974 Super Beetle
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only have clear and blue in the high power so far. I ordered 3 blue, but I hope to eventually have a power socket to take the place of my lighter, and have a clear bezel so that the blue light shows through.

1991VanagonCarat wrote:
Keith, this is a newer bulb that superbright is offering. I bought some of the original and the high powered to do a comparison. The high powered ones are a little bit brighter and have a richer blue color. They are both very nice, but I decided on the high power as I liked the rich blue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: