Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty vs Van-Cafe springs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the Smurf is showing is exactly what I am trying to explain.
The extra load has collasped the progressive spring at its resting state.
The Bostig setup he has is much lighter than the SVX motors I use.
You can imagine what a Syncro Westy with an SVX and tubular bumpers would look like.
Shimming will level, but not do anything for the low spring rate.
The suppleness of the progressive spring is in the first 10% of its compression, needing more and more force to compress it further.
It will work, but the ride will surely suffer. Pogoing in the rear and porpusing in the front are the end results at speeds over 55mph. This happens in many racecars when the wrong springs are used for the track conditions. At higher speeds it becomes extremely dangerous as grip will be lost. Not that big of a deal here, just wanted to point it out.

I don't have any experience with the Van Cafe springs, but will do a little investigating and report back.

dylan
ericos_bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thread. Have just bought a set of gowesty 2" lift springs myself and did wonder of the effects of these progressive spring height on comfort under different loads. Lets say you are to continue adding weight to your syncro beyond what has been added say by the svx conversion do you find a " sweet spot" under a certain load? Of course benefit of a 2" lift can be kissed goodbye.

how about pro's and con's of linear vs progressive springs. Would you say for driving situations where ground clearance must be maintained moving over rough terrain progressive springs would be the go and where good articulation is required the linear springs would be a better choice? Also what are peoples opinions on seikel springs?
blueridgedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wolfsburg weekender that needs new springs, the rear is sagging and the front is too proud. I do not want a lift and don't need extra capacity as the wolfsburg lacks the heavy camping gear. I may go with GW, but the extra lift makes me think about the small car set as a better option.
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For stock ride height go with the small car springs. We put them on our 83.5 Westy this year and couldn't be more pleased. No more saggy rear and it still goes in and out of the garage.

http://www.smallcar.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29783

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140

Last edited by JPrato on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not put a 450lb eibach on the passenger side and a 475 on the drivers side that should even out a westy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
axeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you guys not get hold of seikle springs in the states? as that is what i am runing along with ome (old man emu) shocks, they work very well together on my synrcro doka.
i think that seikle do make a 2wd lit as well that is avalible in europe at least.
neil

Last edited by axeman on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Seikles on one of my vans.
They must be imported and the cost is much more than what is available here.
The low dollar vs. Euro doesn't help right now.

dylan
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that seikle springs are very stiff. I have the VanCafe springs and OME shocks in my syncro doka and they are too stiff for such a light platform. A softer spring will allow the tires to stay in contact with the dirt longer with the better articulation that they would allow.
VC springs and syncro.org springs are the same.
deides
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: gowesty springs

gowesty: 499$

vancafe 415$

from the posts here looks like gowesty is the way to go, seeing as its only a 21$ difference per spring.

But, are there other alternatives for 2wd that will lift the van 1.5 inchies or so higher?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deides wrote:

But, are there other alternatives for 2wd that will lift the van 1.5 inchies or so higher?

Spacers.

But unless you go up to the biggest 16s you can get in there.. 2" of spring lift over 1" isn't gonna do all that much other than look nice. Springs compress. All that "lift" goes away as you bounce onto that really sharp boulder smack dab in the middle of the trail

And with 2" you are on the edge of proper geometry front and rear during regular road driving.

The main difference from what I've read and noticed in my own driving is that the GW springs are progressives. VCs/Synrco.org are not.
If you want and can use progressives, by all means the GW spring is for you.
I could likely use the progressive properties for some of my driving (towing and carrying big weight off the rear).. but I opted to go with less lift for lower CoG, better road handling, etc.

Cost was not an issue.
As you point out its a $100 difference spread over the life of your van.

I have the VC springs in now and initial "lift" is 1-ish inch all around on an 89 full Westy... or 18ish all round center of hub to fender lip. I expect it will settle down to 17-3/4s ish mabe less all around.

My 16s however gave me a honest 2" of added ground clearance over the OE wheels and tires.
The combo looks to be everything I was after... 16s give me more room for big brakes and they "regear" for the SVX gogin in down the road.
Curiously enough.. those big tires look smaller the higher the van gets lifted.

And now I've discovered old spindle wear.. passenger side <boo hoo>
Trying to hold back the tide.
It never ends.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
syncro.org
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy-Life wrote:
I bought the VanCafe ones over a year ago and was not very happy with them. They raised the van height allot in the front 1 to 1.5 inches and only about a .25 of an inch in the rear. I still had the sagging butt issue and this was all before we loaded the van up for out 7 month trip! But VC having very good customer service sent me some extra spacers to put in as well. This helped, but still not enough. I then also had to add the airbags to keep it from sagging really bad when it was loaded up for camping.

In the end, I would look at someone else's springs.

Cheers!
Dave

Dave: We would have replaced your springs for free by now (assuming there is something wrong with the rear springs, it may be your van), but the manufacturer (Betts) moved to a new facility in December right after we placed a production order. They notified me in January that they could no longer make the pig-tails for rear springs using the hot-wound process. We are in the process of a total re-design using different material (chrome silicon) that can be wound to spec on their new state-of-the-art equip. We should have proto-types in 3-4 weeks. I will have an extra set of rears made to hold you over until we get production springs in about 2 months. Please call me to discuss what else may be causing the problem. I p-mailed my phone nimber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I have heard that seikle springs are very stiff. I have the VanCafe springs and OME shocks in my syncro doka and they are too stiff for such a light platform. A softer spring will allow the tires to stay in contact with the dirt longer with the better articulation that they would allow.
VC springs and syncro.org springs are the same.

Indeed.
In a good way.
I don't offroad much.
I set my vans up for excellent road handling and these springs are the best choice for stability at hi speeds.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Syncro.org springs and OME shocks on an 86 Syncro Westy. My fender lip to center hub heights are 19" after 3 years installed.

I am very happy. I LOVE my suspension.

And I spoke to Steve at SDM, he is the source of Syncro.org springs.. He explained that early springs had an issue with compressing, but mine have not had that issue. And he is coming out with newly redesigned springs, state of the art. Built in a way that will not be subject to the sagging issue of the earlier Syncro.org springs..

I like supporting small local businesses, I would buy Syncro.org springs from Van Cafe.

I realize many of the posters in this thread want springs for 2wd, and that is exactly what Van Cafe is planning to distribute, as soon as Steve's redesigned springs come out..
tozovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Cafe Sells both the H&R/GW Springs as well as the Syncro.org springs.

'83 1.6TD
DX 5 Speed
"Whistler"
www.sinisterbikes.com
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: 1984 2wd westy Reply with quote

Can i put syncro springs on my 84 westy? I want a syncro, so I am thinking of building my westy up with stuff i can switch over (or heaven forbid i convert it syncro).

Any help is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the front syncro springs are actually shorter than the 2wd. I'm not sure about the rears.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I believe the front syncro springs are actually shorter than the 2wd. I'm not sure about the rears.

They are.

rears are longer.

I bought months ago a set of Syncro springs from Smallcar,gonna install that on the 2WD.
Custom made shocks,rebuildable,Viarouge brand from France,bottom of front syncro shocks have to be 45mm shorter to use the syncro spring on a 2WD and have the same height as a syncro (about 470/480mm front center hub to fender lip)

The shocks are coming as soon as I'll have the money...
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric.H wrote:
Why not put a 450lb eibach on the passenger side and a 475 on the drivers side that should even out a westy.

Where do you get these?
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc-surfer wrote:
Alaric.H wrote:

Where do you get these?

You need coilover shocks for those to work.

Burley has the setup available.
WonkaVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Adventurewagen High Top and Springs Reply with quote

Which should I purchase GW 2wd 1.5 lift springs or Vancafe´s regular 2wd springs? I ask not because of the product quality but of the height issue, crosswinds, etc. With the Hightop the van is 8 feet tall from the ground. There is no camping equipment. I am leaning toward GW springs and I am just curious if 1.5 inches will really pose any problems. Any suggestions would be very helpful and Thankful on this day of Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: