Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dometic or ....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: truckfridge truck fridge Reply with quote

I saw at westyventures.com that there is a Truckfridge model of refrigerator that is almost exactly the same as the Vitrifrigo for $55 less, shipping excluded. Does anyone here have the truckfridge CR49 installed?

Vitrifrigo
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Truckfridge

Note this is the TF49, not the CR49 mentioned on westyventures.com. Maybe the mentioned one is not online yet.
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: fridge Reply with quote

When I ordered my Vitrifrigo from Commerical Products aka Truckfridge, the price was the same for each. The difference is that, on both brands, I believe, the dc only model is cheaper than the ac/dc model. So just make sure you're comparing the same features.

Ed in CT
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Running the Dometic fridge from inverter Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Running the Dometic fridge from inverter? Mine only works on 110. Cant get 12v to work. But, I have a 400 watt inverter and read in the manual it pull 85 watts for heat element, so maye it could work.....?
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure you know that the Westies were wired so that the fridge only runs on 12V with the engine on and then only so so. Took me a while to figure that out. There is a relay that turns on 12V to the fridge on when the engine is running. I have re-wired mine to be connected to my second battery all the time. The down side is I have to remember to take if off 12V when we get to our destination and go on propane/ 110 or you will run down the battery in short order. (6-8hrs?) I've never done it so I'm not sure.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPrado,
Yes I finally did figure that out. I wanted to test the fridge on 12v so I took and ran an independent wire from the + battery to the bottom connection of the fuse behind the driver seat. The fridge was kind of maintaining around 60 degrees, which is not cold enough for me.
Even on 110 the fridge keeps at around 45 after 4 hours. Do you know if will keep getting colder? maybe after 8 hours? I wouldnt think so but havent had it on that long.
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woggs1 wrote:
Has anyone put the Propex heater under their refrigerators?

Yes I am at work, in my downtown San Francisco highrise office building looking out the window at the ships cruise by on the bay thinking about my van.

It sure looks like there is enough room under the isotherm fridge.
That would be a hot setup! Very Happy

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shallowhead, yes, depending on outside temperatures 45 degrees is good for 4 hrs. With my fridge full, over night it will get down into the mid to high 30's. That would be a night where it gets into the high 60's outside. They are just so-so refrigerators, that is why people, especially in hotter areas of the country replace them.

Joe

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPrado,
Yeah, I guess I'll just use it for when i plug in to shore power for camping.
Although i may look into a another 12 volt fridge. I just want cold beer!
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd add that I had no problems with this setup for a week's continuous use at 75 degrees ambient. It worked very well in fact, and I don't even have a secondary battery. I intended to shut it off at night, but often forgot yet never had a problem.

-Rob[/list]
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobW...
What do have running there in that picture?
Kevin
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shallowhead wrote:
RobW...
Kevin

It's a Coleman 1200W inverter hardwired to the main battery; running a "Haier" band Dorm-fridge that can be bought at Wal-Mart.

I don't necessarily recommend doing this, but for me it worked just fine, I even had ice.

For a "booster" we threw a block of dry ice in the upper freezer compartment, the blocks are i think $3 and it really jumpstarted the cooling and lasted for about 9 hours in itself, I didn't even hear the fridge kick on until well into the journey.

-Rob
wolfej1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Shallowhead wrote:
RobW...
Kevin

It's a Coleman 1200W inverter hardwired to the main battery; running a "Haier" band Dorm-fridge that can be bought at Wal-Mart.

I don't necessarily recommend doing this, but for me it worked just fine, I even had ice.

For a "booster" we threw a block of dry ice in the upper freezer compartment, the blocks are i think $3 and it really jumpstarted the cooling and lasted for about 9 hours in itself, I didn't even hear the fridge kick on until well into the journey.

-Rob

Rob

What is the model number of the Inverter you used? You say you have had no issues with this setup?

I could not see your pic, but did the fridge fit into the space where the dometic would normally fit?

Thanks
1979 Yamaha DT 175
1995 Toyota 4Runner
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Xantrex 1000 PROWATT inverter that I'm not using and will sell for $75 plus $10 shipping (USPS). Send me a private message if you are interested. I bought used about a year ago and never installed it. Here's more info from the Xantrex site: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/15/p/1/pt/8/product.asp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: