Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super tough dried adhesive on ceiling
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Super tough dried adhesive on ceiling Reply with quote

Hey Dudes,

I'm slowly turning my attention away from the engine conversion to matters of looks in the rest of my Vanagon. A couple of years ago I removed all the headliner material because it was shredded by constant loading and unloading of construction supplies. After removing the headliner, I also removed as much of the old fiber padding. The remnants are stuck to the ceiling with some SUPER TOUGH adhesive. I want to paint the entire interior so I'd like to start with a clean slate.

Does anyone know how to remove this stuff short of power sanding ?

I could do that (probably hook a shopvac to it) but maybe someone knows a chemical that magically removes it with minimal fuss.

Oh, I've already tried Goof-Off, paint thinner, mineral spirits, acetone, Gel-based paint strippers.........nothing works.

This hard, dried adhesive runs from the front of the van to the rear.....NASTY
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks in advance Dudes....

Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a rag soaked in Lacquer thinner.

If this fails brush on Strip Eze.

If this fails--start sanding---

Laughing

Whats wrong with hanging a different headliner?

That might be a good idea---
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Whats wrong with hanging a different headliner?

That might be a good idea---

It's a good idea but since I'm in that, "the less people that touch my ride the better" mode, I want to be able to come up with a solution that I can do....and I can't hang a headliner.

We'll see and thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

- Chester
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy, I'd be tempted to seal it and glue up some foam padding for insulation and make a new headliner out of some kind of card stock or 1/8" masonite. my 65 ford econoline had a hardboard headliner held w/ clips. no droopy fabric to mess with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
boy, I'd be tempted to seal it and glue up some foam padding for insulation and make a new headliner out of some kind of card stock or 1/8" masonite. my 65 ford econoline had a hardboard headliner held w/ clips. no droopy fabric to mess with.

My thinking at the moment is to install a Westfalia ceiling liner over the front cab portion. That liner stops where my sunroof begins so I'd finish it with the card stock/masonite you mentioned. Of course I'd insulate first. I just want to spray it all a nice clean off-white first even though it's not needed at all.....come to think of it, why am I making myself work harder than I need to.....hmmmm

I'll sleep on this,

Chester
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, I guess that was my point. cover it, don't clean it. I mean, it's stable and not causing rust so forget it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: