Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who uses their stove
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses their stove Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Yes we use the stove. Fam of 4 used the stove about 24x in the last 12 days....

Hope it's because you're on a great trip!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Who uses their stove Reply with quote

Yes we use the stove. Fam of 4 used the stove about 24x in the last 12 days....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Who uses their stove Reply with quote

X3

Teapot with water on the stove at night, light the stove with piezo igniter in the am, make coffee, recline and wake slowly all w/out getting out of bed. I can't even do that at home!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Dave Wood Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
just got back from the Ochoco Mtns. and I appreciate the ability to make coffee without getting off the bed - can grab milk out of the fridge too - only an IV drip would beat that

X2
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: using a propane stove Reply with quote

I've been getting our hightopped ex-westy "Moose" ready for a summer road trip to Newfoundland and began debating with myself whether or not to fill the propane tank for the stove. Kinda thinking that it might be nice to make an early coffee etc etc etc Haven't used the stove in 5 years+ but was considering it.
This weekend though, up at our cottage North of Toronto, we were running the gas (propane) dryer, which of course vents to the outside. I walked around the corner of the cottage and was amazed to see a humungously thick cloud of mosquitos, roughly the size of a large beach ball, swarming around the dryer exhaust.
Its then that I remembered the odour of burning propane is a magnet for mosquitos - I can deal with the odours of cooking, the humidity (power vent), but no way do I ever again want to deal with with about a hundred Northern Ontario mossys - they're about hummingbird size, probably even bigger in Newfoundland - inside the van.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got back from the Ochoco Mtns. and I appreciate the ability to make coffee without getting off the bed - can grab milk out of the fridge too - only an IV drip would beat that
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
I use my stove a lot because I cook a lot, which is probably because I eat a lot. I love the Westy kitchen stuff, that's why I bought it! I have a couple small backpacking stoves as backup or if I really want to cook outside. But I almost always cook inside because its so convenient.

This
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my stove a lot because I cook a lot, which is probably because I eat a lot. I love the Westy kitchen stuff, that's why I bought it! I have a couple small backpacking stoves as backup or if I really want to cook outside. But I almost always cook inside because its so convenient.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Stove Reply with quote

We are still a family of 4 travelling and camping in the van. Generally I'm up and out first while my girls all sleep. My coffee making is outside and often my first cup is alone with nature. Like I said...we have many days and nights rolling this way.Smile

In the future I could easily set my camp stove up on top of the stove cover. The stove has its own shielding and options for propane are either portable or run a hose from my tank onboard.

Solar will eventually power a portable fridge but that's still a few years away in the budget. The water tank for me is a waste of space. Storing water in a 29 year old plastic container isn't in my comfort zone. To each his/her own. Smile

It's cool that a lot of owners still use the original camper the way it was designed. For us the van is the best ride out there to get to the place we want to be. Then it's the bests tent we have EVER had!

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stove Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes I know we now essentially have a weekender with Westy cupboards and we are cool with that! It fits our needs perfectly! We have road tested those needs for 6 summers now so we are pretty certain.

Brian

Very cool. Now I want a Westy cupboard like that, narrowed to fit with our flip-up Weekender table. Might miss the Weekender rear facing storage-seat too much though.
Good place to stash the Coleman stove. I guess with some metal shielding, you could use it inside if desired - but it sounds like you have no need for such.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my stove a lot. I heat water for coffee every morning, and with the Truckfridge to carry leftovers I reheat meals quite a bit. I do carry a folding grill to cook steaks, burgers, brats, etc. on the campfire when I can, but love the stove and don't want to carry an extra camping stove and fuel just to cook outside.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Stove Reply with quote

We have had the Westy since 2008 and we have used the stove once! We cook outside all the time even in the foulest of weather. So, this month the van is in the hands of Tony the paint man, at Jeff's Old Volks Home, in lovely Chester Basin Nova Scotia! (Ad plug) Since that required me to strip out my interior I decided to take advantage and make some changes I have been thinking about for awhile.

The fridge has been out for a few years now and one day we will go solar...once we save for a bit!

My next project is to modify the water tank area. It's not going back in so I am going to try to use that space...stay tuned! Tony is going to fill the water hook ups in and the propane vent. The only hook up will be power.

Yes I know we now essentially have a weekender with Westy cupboards and we are cool with that! It fits our needs perfectly! We have road tested those needs for 6 summers now so we are pretty certain.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I have to wonder about anyone who owns a Westy and DOESN'T use their stove. I understand a BBQ for steaks and cooking over a campfire and such, but you can do that with a tin top.

I mostly agree with you except for a few things;

- whoever is on cooking duty can miss out on a lot of fun by being boxed up inside the van while everyone else is outside. Cooking outside allows the cook to be social.

- I hate the way my van/headliner smells after cooking seafood and some other things that I love to eat.

- despite dismantling and cleaning the jets, my Westy stove is still not as adjustable or as hot as my Coleman stove.

That said, I've yet to pack an additional stove for outdoor use. Streamlining the packing / unpacking tasks for getaways is the reason we have the Westy.
valleywestys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the stove last Friday night, in Shenandoah National Park- Fettuccini Carbonara, with a nice bottle of wine. Saturday morning- French Toast, made with thick sliced Italian Bread from the night before, Bacon (we do use the pre-cooked variety-very little grease, and crisps right up!), and Maple Syrup we brought home from a Sugar Camp in the mountains of Highland County a few weeks ago.
We also sit in the seats, sleep in the bed, run water in the sink, and store stuff in the defunct "fridge". New Edgestar Fridge going in the "new" Bus, which we will keep food in!
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I have to wonder about anyone who owns a Westy and DOESN'T use their stove. I understand a BBQ for steaks and cooking over a campfire and such, but you can do that with a tin top.

+1 - i love having the indoor stove, especially here in PNW. Sure, i'm thinking to buy a coleman or other outdoor stovey/bbq thing, but there are still lots of times i want to simply (and quickly) boil water, make hot cocoa or tea or cup-noodles, and relax *inside* the van - while it is raining outside Wink
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
sagasandstars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New to westy world, ordered the inserts. Reply with quote

BlueGrasser wrote:
sagasandstars wrote:
dobryan wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:
I've searched several ways but can't locate the vendor that sells the VW inserts that fill that huge hole in the middle of our grills. Anyone able to link me or give me a name to them. Thanks!

http://www.frankcondelli.com/staging1/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=62

We got our 89' Westy last fall, and currently the husband is busy working on axles, fuel lines, brake hoses, etc... the usual from what we have read. To be ready for our maiden trip in June. Well hopefully.... I have been busy looking through the posts about all the non-mechanical stuff. Saw this thread and thought humm I bet the kettle will fall right through! So ordered the inserts today from Frank.

Really appreciate all the information available here!!

Installed mine, and they are super cool!

They look great! Can't wait to get ours now!
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New to westy world, ordered the inserts. Reply with quote

sagasandstars wrote:
dobryan wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:
I've searched several ways but can't locate the vendor that sells the VW inserts that fill that huge hole in the middle of our grills. Anyone able to link me or give me a name to them. Thanks!

http://www.frankcondelli.com/staging1/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=62

We got our 89' Westy last fall, and currently the husband is busy working on axles, fuel lines, brake hoses, etc... the usual from what we have read. To be ready for our maiden trip in June. Well hopefully.... I have been busy looking through the posts about all the non-mechanical stuff. Saw this thread and thought humm I bet the kettle will fall right through! So ordered the inserts today from Frank.

Installed mine, and they are super cool!

sagasandstars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: New to westy world, ordered the inserts. Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
tarandusVDub wrote:

BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Hopefully they will go out soon ~ it says delivered at least by April 28th which will be almost too late for my upcoming trip.

Glad to help lighten your wallet a bit. Very Happy I've had these on my radar for a long time, but had to get other things done first. I'll be living in my van for about 3 weeks, so thought now was the time!

I love our vendors. Smile

I've been eyeing them for awhile too, and I'm always afraid custom stuff like this is going to just go away one day whenever the maker decides they are done. Can't beat the price either!

The 28th would be great so I can show them off at Syncrofest! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: