Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Spent some time this evening hosing down engine compartment as it seemed to have 20+ years of dirt/dust everywhere. I've been hunting down some leaks as well as few niggly items and have a few newbie questions so go easy on me.

After pouring over the Haynes and Bentley manuals and various online engine pics it worries me to see this hose duct taped off. What the heck is it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, any idea what this gizmo is on top of my engine?

Lastly I think I've got a bad temp sensor for the gauge as my temp gauge barely moves on the dash and after reading through tons of threads it seems like a likely culprit. However for the life of me I can't locate it. I consistently see pics of the below blue sensor:

Is the gauge sensor lurking here in the shadows pointing directly towards the front of the van? If so, how the heck do you get to it?

I did manage to check my air filter, get it seated back into place as it was loose at the base, and shore up the hose so at least I feel like I accomplished something tonight.

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

First of all, what year and what model!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

In other posts he says 87.....
It would be great to include that info in his profile.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
First of all, what year and what model!

Doh, sorry! It's an 87 manual.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Yep, just saw that in his previous posts. '87 Westy, nice looking one too!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
Spent some time this evening hosing down engine compartment as it seemed to have 20+ years of dirt/dust everywhere. I've been hunting down some leaks as well as few niggly items and have a few newbie questions so go easy on me.

After pouring over the Haynes and Bentley manuals and various online engine pics it worries me to see this hose duct taped off. What the heck is it?

BAD PHOTO BUT I AM GUESSING A/C LINE???

Also, any idea what this gizmo is on top of my engine?

CRUISE CONTROL LINKAGE

Lastly I think I've got a bad temp sensor for the gauge as my temp gauge barely moves on the dash and after reading through tons of threads it seems like a likely culprit. However for the life of me I can't locate it. I consistently see pics of the below blue sensor:

IT IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THAT THERMOSTAT HOUSING, GAUGE SENDER AND TEMP II SENSOR BOTH.

Is the gauge sensor lurking here in the shadows pointing directly towards the front of the van? If so, how the heck do you get to it?

FROM UNDERNEATH

I did manage to check my air filter, get it seated back into place as it was loose at the base, and shore up the hose so at least I feel like I accomplished something tonight.

Thanks in advance.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

How about this pic of the duct taped hose?

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
How about this pic of the duct taped hose?

Looks like an A/C hose

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle

Last edited by djkeev on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Air conditioning hose.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Air conditioning hose.

Well that would explain no cold air I suppose beyond it likely not being charged. I'll put it on the list to fix at some point although I've been running in the Alabama heat so far this summer with no air without too much issue. The Westy is surprisingly "airy".
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Is the compressor there?

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Your second pic shows parts of the cruiser control setup.

If your temperature gauge isn't moving much I would suspect that your thermostat might be bad, get hold of an IR gun and check to see how hot your engine block is.

Both the TSII sensor for the FI and the sensor for your temperature gauge are mounted into the bottom part of the thermostat housing.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your second pic should parts of the cruiser control setup.

My cc isn't working. How is this piece related to the cc setup? Every search I do on cc for the Westy shows the stalk and all the cables on the front end of the van with discussions about troubleshooting but none of them show this piece. I can't see how this piece is attempting to do anything. Not saying this is why it's not working just trying to piece together the puzzle.

Thanks,
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Air conditioning hose.

Well that would explain no cold air I suppose beyond it likely not being charged. I'll put it on the list to fix at some point although I've been running in the Alabama heat so far this summer with no air without too much issue. The Westy is surprisingly "airy".

Given your options, the engine in your van should look something like this if everything were functioning

The cruise control actuator is the business end of the works that keeps the throttle holding speed to whatever you set on the stalk.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist, sweet thanks!

Well compared to yours my cc part isn't attached to the throttle. Wonder why? I'll see what happens if I hook it up.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
... I think I've got a bad temp sensor for the gauge as my temp gauge barely moves on the dash ...

The temperature sensor for the gauge is best seen from underneath. It will have two wires or a plug going into a black plastic and metal housing. After you find it, you will be able to locate it from the top, but any replacement work will have to be from underneath. Check to see which one you have before ordering. It will look like one of these:

A low gauge reading may or may not be a problem. The normal operating temperature needle indication is usually a bit below the LED. I replaced my sensor recently and have higher than OG sensor readings at the gauge.

IMO: If the cooling system is operating normally, the radiator fan is a better indication of engine temperature than the gauge. The fan should come on in bumper to bumper traffic and/or about fifteen minutes of idling on the driveway.

If it works, don't fix it. An IR thermometer gun will be your friend.

Aloha
tp
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Yeah I knew I needed to figure out which one of these 2 I have but originally thought I'd be able to see it from up top. I attempted to go underneath briefly this evening but man it was tight so might need to jack it up.

The radiator fan kicks on occasionally, mostly at really slow speeds like bumper to bumper as you stated and a few times after pulling into the driveway. I've got a bit of a mystery coolant leak so wanting to ensure all the sensors and gauges are in working order.

Thanks for the info!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

Jack it up and use stands, or drive it up ramps. Open the hatch and take off the engine cover. You'll have a lot better light and visibility while underneath. If you do replace the OG sensor don't trash it. Send it to me. If you have the plug connector you can unplug it, replace the sensor and then put the plug back on. If you have the two wire and rubber cover sensor, pull the cover and wires off and put those on the replacement sensor before swapping. The two wires are a PITA to install with the sensor already in place. You will have a small coolant shower no matter how prepared and quick you are. The more thumbs you have the more bath you'll get. You may, or may not, have to bleed the system. The system is self bleeding to a small extent. The blue cap tank will tell you. You may be able to just fill it without bleeding. Also be sure that the o-ring comes out when you pull the sensor and that you have a new o-ring on the replacement.

Aloha
tp
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Is the compressor there?

I'm sure you'll get a chuckle out of this, yes, but it's in the storage area under the bench seat.

Like I said, total newbie so digging around every few days with the manuals and engine pics/diagrams trying to figure out what everything is. Plus reading through here A LOT!

Thanks,
chris
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: What are these in my engine and where is the temp sensor? Reply with quote

chrisfreemanca wrote:
Yeah I knew I needed to figure out which one of these 2 I have but originally thought I'd be able to see it from up top. I attempted to go underneath briefly this evening but man it was tight so might need to jack it up.

The radiator fan kicks on occasionally, mostly at really slow speeds like bumper to bumper as you stated and a few times after pulling into the driveway. I've got a bit of a mystery coolant leak so wanting to ensure all the sensors and gauges are in working order.

Thanks for the info!

The radiator cooling fan is controlled by yet another remp switch on the Left front of the radiator behind the lower grill.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: